Menadione — instructions for use for heavy menstruation
The drug Menadione (usage instructions summarized in the article), is a vitamin medication synthetic origin, is recommended to prevent the development and stop the bleeding of different etiology.
Menadione has a reversible effect on the system of blood coagulation, is indicated for serious diseases of the liver, profuse uterine bleeding, are allowed in the later stages of pregnancy, is widely used in veterinary medicine.
Composition and pharmacological action
The active medicinal ingredient of the drug Menadione (international nonproprietary name – lat. Menadioni natrii bisulfitis) is a synthetic analogue of vitamin K, responsible for the process of blood clotting in the body. The drug belongs to the group of hemostatic and anticoagulant. If absorbed into the systemic circulation performs the following functions:
- increases blood clotting;
- has a hemostatic effect;
- compensates the deficiency of vitamin K, stimulates further production.
The mechanism of action of
The drug begins active effect after 8 – 24 hours (depending on dosage form) after the first application according to the following scheme:
- Once in the blood, bound to plasma proteins.
- Accumulate in the liver, skeletal muscle, myocardium, stimulates the formation of prothrombin and influences the coagulation factor IV(production prokonvertina).
- Transformirovalsya in vitamin K.
- Excreted as metabolites in the urine.
Menadione is available in the following forms:
- Tablets menadione: available for 25-50 pieces per package. The content of active substance is 0, 015 g in one medicinal dose.
- Menadione ampoule: 1% solution for injection in ampoules of 1 ml, from 10 to 100 doses in the package.
Indications for use
Has a pronounced effect in the treatment of complex diseases and symptoms, depending on the composition of blood and its clotting:
- vitamin K, including hepatitis and jaundice, associated with difficult secretion of bilirubin;
- peptic ulcer, colitis, bleeding from the duodenum and stomach;
- disorders of the pancreas, the small intestine of a person with Crohn’s disease;
- continuous nasal bleeding, subcutaneous and mucosa hemorrhage;
- prolonged uterine bleeding (hypermenorrhea, when);
- to stop bleeding in the third trimester of pregnancy (strictly on prescription).
- for the prevention and treatment of bleeding in newborns;
- radiation sickness;
- to restore blood clotting after treatment with anticoagulants – antagonists of vitamin K;
- persistent diarrhoea, dysentery;
- the preparation of operational intervention and after it, after operations on the small intestine.
The instruction to the drug does not contain a direct reference to the possibility of the use of Menadione with abundant menstruation.
Menadione in veterinary medicine is applicable for the treatment of postoperative bleeding and injuries, food poisoning animals.
Contraindications and side effects
Be wary appoint Menadione in pregnancy, liver failure. Directly not contraindicated, but it is not recommended concomitant use with large doses of alcohol.
Absolutely contraindicated in:
- hypercoagulability syndrome (increased activity of blood coagulation system);
- newborn jaundice;
- hypersensitivity to the drug components.
In case of overdose, patients may experience reactions:
- itching, hives, redness of the skin, bronchospasm;
- when assigning injections – redness, areas of injection, local or systemic allergic manifestations;
- drop in blood pressure, tachycardia.
In very rare cases, newborns were observed convulsions and jaundice.
Please note! Simultaneous reception with other hemostatic drugs increases the risk of side effects.
Menadione in tablets and ampoules for intramuscular administration is assigned by the user:
- single dosage for adult is not more than 30 mg daily consumption – not more than 60 mg;
- the maximum daily dose in pediatric patients is 2 mg (newborn) to 15 mg (for children and adolescents 10 – 15 years);
- for the elderly it is recommended to decrease the daily dosage in two times;
- in severe and life-threatening conditions may increase the dosage of Menadione in the form of solution for injection with the use of additional hemostatic drugs quick action.
The average duration of the course -5 days.
The pattern of use of Menadione assigned individually in each case depending on the severity and duration of the disease.
After the start of therapy to the control of prothrombin index of blood.
Important! When concomitant administration with broad-spectrum antibiotics, efficacy is greatly reduced, requiring an increase in it daily and a single dose.
Use in gynecology
The drug is used by women to stop menstruation, when heavy menstruation. However, the purpose of the drug is reasonable and safe only under medical supervision for the treatment of:
- dysfunctional uterine bleeding, based on the deficiency of vitamin K;
- endometritis, endometriosis, in combination with other medicines;
- prolonged bleeding after the abortion and medical abortion.
Uncontrolled use of Menadione when menstruation may lead to serious disorders of the reproductive system, blood clotting, allergic reactions, disruption of cardiac rhythm, fall or increase in blood pressure.
The excessive amounts of Menadione at the monthly (to reduce its abundance and duration) is strictly forbidden and dangerous to life!
Tip! In case of emergency once to drink Menadione, to stop period, can according to the scheme: 1 -2 tablets per day for no more than 2 days.
Purpose during pregnancy, lactation
The question of whether use of the drug Menadione during pregnancy is solved after internal consultation with your doctor. The negative impact of active substances on the fetus is not established.
In rare cases, Menadione can be assigned to the third trimester for the prevention of bleeding, the placental abruption in an integrated injection Dicynone, with no-Spa and vitamin E. instructions for Menadione contains not contraindications to breastfeeding. Currently, the drug is almost never used during pregnancy.
The use of babies
In hemorrhagic diseases (bleeding of the intestines, stomach and umbilical wound) a newborn is assigned a rate of one intramuscular injection every 72 hours. In particularly difficult cases simultaneously with the transfusion of blood plasma.
Vacation and storage
Store at temperature not exceeding 25° C protected from light. Is released from pharmacies by prescription. Storage life – not more than 2 years from date of manufacture.
The views of consumers
Reviews about Vikasola mostly positive: patients reported highly effective for the treatment of nasal, hemorrhoidal bleeding, protracted diarrhea with a low severity of side effects. The reviews also noted its relatively low cost, easy to use.
The active ingredient Menadione contains in candles and ointments used for topical application (for example, in the treatment of hemorrhoids).
Means with similar medicinal action of Menadione are its analogues:
Tablets and ampoules for injection: Dicynone, Etamsylate; Recombinant, Thrombin, Traneksam – hemostatic drugs stronger action.
Herbs: styptic fees of Valerian, nettle, St. John’s wort, horsetail, shepherd’s purse, chamomile, cinquefoil goose.
The harm and benefit
- Drug Menadione is relatively safe only if there are indications to application and compliance with the dosage prescribed by the attending physician.
- Contrary to some reviews about the harmless and the gentle influence of the Menadione contained in the medication vitamin K refers to hard assets that have had a profound influence on the processes of hemostasis.
- Unwarranted long-term use of drugs can cause serious and life-threatening condition: a critical increase in blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmias, and liver function, promote the formation of blood clots, and as a consequence, in rare cases lead to embolism, heart attacks, strokes.
- The drug is not a panacea for heavy menstruation and is not used in official medicine as a means of reducing the duration and profusion of the menstrual discharge, without other indications.