Pelvic ultrasound — when is the best time to do
Modern gynecology and obstetrics ultrasonography – a necessary and very effective part of the diagnosis. The high informativity of the method in the confirmation of pregnancy, detection of tumors of various pathologies and anomalies brought considerable benefit for more than 50 years of use. Planning a visit to the gynecologist, a woman needs to be prepared that she will give a referral for a pelvic ultrasound. When is the best time to do this procedure and how to prepare for it, depends on the direction of the study.
The method uses ultrasound for the diagnosis of the principle of echolocation. Ultrasonic waves are emitted by a transducer sensor, reflected from internal fabrics and are accepted by him. Then they are processed by computer and displayed on the screen in the section view of the test body.
Three methods of ultrasound used in gynecology
- Transabdominal ultrasound transducer applied externally to the lower abdomen and moves in the desired direction, in this case the skin is smeared with gel for a full contact of the transducer with the body.
- Transrectal ultrasound – the transducer is inserted through the anus into the body. In gynecological practice is almost never done.
- Transvaginal ultrasound – virgins don’t usually do, because the transducer inserted into the vagina. This study is performed at higher frequencies, gives a more clear visualization, but compared to the first method, the area that it covers is limited. It is especially widely used in pathologies that prevent conception, and to diagnose early pregnancy.
Ultrasound is used not only to detect abnormalities but also to control the actions of the physician in performing various gynecological procedures. Under the ULTRASOUND is scraping the uterine cavity, examines the uterus and fallopian tubes (made hysterosonogram) and perform other complex manipulations.
If the diagnosis requires the combined study, transabdominal ultrasound is always performed first.
Soft tissues and organs, which contains the liquid with the ultrasonic method can be clearly seen. The intestine, filled with air, solid, bone, and fat deposits, prevent ultrasound. Therefore, when the transabdominal approach requires the filling of the bladder up to max size, so he pushed the bowel from the area of the survey. If necessary, do it through a catheter.
Transabdominal difficult to conduct if:
- the woman suffers from obesity;
- the bladder for any reason you cannot fill;
- actively produces gases in the intestine.
For internal administration of the sensor there is a small risk of infection. If after the ultrasound came the symptoms – the fever, have any discomfort, you need to consult a gynecologist.
How to prepare for ultrasound
- Before transabdominal study about an hour for maximum filling of the bladder should drink any drink not less than 1 liter. Before you should give up beer and soda water, calling Gaza from food – cabbage, beans, black bread.
- Before transrectal study – an hour before the procedure is rinsing the intestine with an enema.
- Before transvaginal study it is advisable not to drink for 4 hours, because the discomfort when pressure on the bladder hinder the quality of the survey.
- For clothes, you should choose free. When transabdominal ultrasound access to the abdomen must be opened. When transvaginal ultrasound need to undress from the bottom to the waist.
- Bring a towel, a disposable diaper and a condom for the ultrasound, if it is assumed the introduction of the sensor inside. Suitable and conventional, but without textures, lubricants, and flavoring.
- The doctor should tell about the Allergy to a substance, especially to latex.
- If on the same date and other planned studies, ultrasound must be done prior. After endoscopy in the intestinal tract accumulates air that makes it very difficult to echolocation. In some methods the urological and radiological diagnosis refers to the use of contrast agents that can distort the result, so it is advisable to do an ultrasound before them or after two days.
- Usually the examination takes 15 – 30 minutes. This time you need to completely release from the current cases, because the procedure involves maximum relaxation.
When to do ultrasound
The ovaries and uterus during the female menstrual cycle undergo significant periodical changes. In women of reproductive age are recommended an ultrasound immediately after the menstrual period, for 5 – 7 days of the cycle. These few days for the diagnosis of disorders of women’s health can be called “control” because they allow you to figure out whether growths and changes previously identified, a temporary physiological phenomenon, or they can be attributed to developing pathologies.
In some situations, the doctor may recommend to get an ultrasound closer to the end of the cycle, for 3 to 5 days to videomy menstruation. At the beginning of the menstrual cycle the follicles are a structure of bubbles in the ovaries and the screen looks like a small cyst. On the 7th day of the cycle (on 3 – 5th day after menstruation) among them is dominant, and the others diminish and disappear. Therefore, immediately after months it is difficult to judge about the presence of tumors in the ovaries. And conduct routine investigation for suspected pathology in their these days is not worth it.
The dominant follicle as it approaches ovulation increases, and to distinguish it from the abnormal bubble of education is also difficult.
Thus, for examination of the ovaries by means of ultrasonography of the best times are the days of the first phase, in which the dominant follicle was already defined but not yet acquired a considerable size.
Examination of the uterus it is also desirable to do in these days when there are no active hormonal changes and the new mucous lining of the uterus – the endometrium – is only beginning to emerge. Developing, the endometrium thickens and takes on a layered heterogeneous structure. His folds are difficult to see small education, tumors and polyps. The optimal time for studies of the uterus – 5 – 7 days of the cycle.
This does not mean that you can delay us, if it is prescribed in cases of emergency:
- when the pain;
- unexpected bleeding;
- the long delay period;
- excessively copious menstruation;
- if you feel discomfort because of the spiral;
- when inflammation and other problems;
- if you suspect a pregnancy.
Further tactics of the doctor will depend on the results of the ultrasound examination.
In some cases you want to observe the dynamics of changes in female reproductive organs during monthly cycle:
- to determine the causes of infertility;
- in the treatment of hormonal dysfunction;
- the stimulation of ovulation;
- when artificial intrauterine insemination;
- for selection of oocytes in IVF.
When ULTRASOUND monitoring is necessary to strictly adhere to the schedule and not to exceed the maximum period between treatments. The beginning of the observation is determined based on the stability of the loop. The first study is prescribed for 5 – 7 days before the expected ovulation.
If the cycle is stable and runs fine, ovulation is expected two weeks before the next menstrual period. For a 28-day cycle it is necessary approximately on day 15. That is, the first ultrasound needs to be done at 8 – 10 day from the beginning monthly.
If the menstrual cycle is not constant and predict the ovulation is impossible, the first ultrasound administered immediately after the critical days.
Indicative timetable for the observation of changes of the uterus and ovaries looks like this:
|No. ultrasound||The timing of||Appointment|
|The first ultrasound||Appointed immediately after menstruation, for a 5 – 6 day cycle.||It is supposed to detect the formed by this time in the ovarian follicles with a diameter of 5 – 8 mm. the Endometrium should be uniform and not thicker than 2 – 3 mm.|
|The second ultrasound||Is in the interval from 9 to 11 a day from the beginning monthly.||By this time it should be allocated to the dominant follicle. If it is not, further investigation may be waived.|
|The third ultrasound||It must be done in the 12 – 13th day.||If the normal cycle, the dominant follicle by this time is predovlatorna condition. It is important that the endometrium had three distinct layers and not less than 8 mm thickness. Otherwise the egg can’t implant in the uterus.|
|The fourth ultrasound||You must do the next day after the discovery predovlatorna of the follicle.||The purpose of this study is to establish if ovulation has occurred. If no signs, ultrasound doing every day before.|
|Fifth ultrasound||Done after 1 – 2 days after the fact of ovulation. Conditional on 15 – 17 day from the beginning of the cycle.||From the remains of the follicle forms a yellow body, uneven shape. The thickness of endometrium is 11 mm and its structure loses a clear trekhsloynoy.|
|The sixth ultrasound||Doing an ultrasound on the 22nd – 24th day of cycle (6 – 10 days after ovulation).||On the 24th day (day 10 after ovulation) if the pregnancy, the fertilized egg has already taken root in the uterus. Or starts preparing to upgrade. Therefore, the condition of the ovaries with corpus luteum and endometrium in 22 – 24 day of the female cycle is very important.|
Ultrasound does harm to health
Doubt how often you can do ultrasound of the pelvis, have no reason. This medical procedure is recognized as safe. It is widely used in gynecology and is recommended in many cases to monitor the course of pregnancy. Requirements for the purpose of this research suggests that the benefits of fast and reliable diagnostics with the use of ultrasound is greater than its possible harm.
The influence of ultrasound on the body with minimal. The sensor during the process basically takes the reflected sound waves. In radiation mode it works 0.1% of the time. This is enough to get a reliable picture with full safety procedures.
Ultrasound may not all
A few negative reviews about the method you may encounter on the Internet caused by its low efficiency in some specific cases. Unfortunately, miracles in medicine do not happen. Ultrasound also has its limitations and cannot always provide a definitive answer. You need to be prepared for what may need other methods of diagnosis to determine the cause of the disease.
To get from the us the maximum information you need to make it on time and correctly to prepare for it. Then spent time in any case will benefit.