Planning pregnancy after abortion: infertility treatment
In the modern world, infertility is becoming an increasingly important topic for discussion in medical circles: thousands of women each year seek treatment after unsuccessful attempts to conceive a child. Causes of the disease are many, and each requires examination and subsequent treatment, because the reproductive system of women is very fragile, any interference to it can have serious consequences. That’s why doctors so often mark the appearance of infertility after an abortion, because abortion is a huge stress for the female body.
The danger is not imaginary
One in ten women after one abortion is faced with the diagnosis of «infertility». If abortion was made «homemade» by the Soviets, or the «people» of recipes in a qualified clinic, the likelihood of infertility rises significantly.
The most dangerous termination of pregnancy for very young, first time bears a child women. Only the political system after such stress fails and does not find the strength for a full recovery.
If the decision of abortion finally adopted, should apply only to a medical facility, has passed certification. To minimize the negative effects of the procedure is possible, if carefully examined, to pass tests, to prepare.
It is not recommended to do abortions for women:
- never giving birth;
- women with RH-negative blood;
- with a diagnosis of “tumor of the uterus”;
- in the later stages of gestation.
Today, there are three ways to terminate an unwanted or health-threatening pregnancy, each of them can lead to the fact that in a few years women will have to refer to specialists to treat infertility.
Without surgery: medical abortion
Abortion pills – drug – is the first to the sixth week of gestation, inclusive (up to 42 days from last menstrual period). In this type of abortion pregnant taking special drugs: they thus affect the body, that the fetus in the uterus die. This is followed by a miscarriage.
It is believed that infertility after medical abortion does not arise, because this method is performed without surgical manipulation, but it’s not true.
Despite such a “sparing mode”, abortion by means of drugs is fraught with a number of unpleasant complications, sometimes leading to infertility:
- intolerance to medication, reaction to them of the body;
- opened heavy bleeding;
- failure of the menstrual cycle, which can become an obstacle to conceive the desired child and prosperous nurturing;
- inflammation of the organs located in the pelvic area, because of the remaining pottergate tissues of a dead foetus; delay parts of the embryo will lead to the need for surgical intervention, what is more traumatic for the body;
- education in the fallopian tubes which move the fertilized egg into the uterus, adhesions;
- the occurrence in subsequent pregnancies, if abortion is made a woman with a negative rhesus factor, rhesus-conflict.
Because these complications are often diagnosed with infertility after medical abortion.
More traumatic is the termination of pregnancy using vacuum aspiration. This surgical procedure allowed up to 6 – 8 weeks. More recently, this method was interrupted by a most unwanted pregnancies, but today it is used less often.
Aspiration is a kind of “stretching” of the uterus settled there of the fetus. The procedure is risky in the sense that:
- There is no guarantee that the embryo will detach and come out completely. If tissue remains in the uterus, it starts the inflammation, leading to dangerous blood poisoning.
- Almost always there is a hormonal imbalance;
- Can be damaged the pipe and the wall of the uterus that will lead to the development of inflammation.
A direct path to infertility: scraping
Surgical abortion is the most common but also the most dangerous. It still bears the name “scraping”, because the embryo is really scraped from the uterus by instruments. This is a serious procedure has a list of possible complications, so infertility after curettage is not uncommon.
In addition to the appearance of adhesions and scarring in the reproductive organs, which will prevent passage of sperm and movement of the egg, scraping:
- injure the cervix after the procedure, you open it “manually”;
- provoke the development of inflammation of the uterus;
- is accompanied by therapy to recover, causing dysbacteriosis of the vagina; this condition makes it difficult for the sperms path to the uterus;
- leads to endometriosis, the tissue growth that make it impossible new conception;
- adversely affects the flora of the vagina, on the reproduction system;
- due to the formation of scars in the uterus increases the chances of ectopic pregnancy;
- leads to bleeding in the uterus, which the surgeon can make the decision about the removal of the organ.
Life after abortion
To minimize the risk of post-abortion complications, it is necessary to strictly follow all the recommendations of the experts:
- mandatory inspection at the gynecologist the next day: the doctor will prescribe drugs that will help the reproductive system to cope with stress, recover;
- for a week after the procedure, avoiding alcohol, stress, it is necessary to avoid hypothermia and overheating (saunas, hot tubs, saunas);
- control of body temperature and weight, the fixation of sensations in the lower abdomen; pain or bleeding, you should immediately visit a gynecologist;
- about a month it is forbidden to swim in the pools and reservoirs;
- a couple of weeks need to give up sex life;
- adequate contraception after the abortion.
To plan a new pregnancy is allowed after 3 – 6 months after the abortion and only after a full examination by a doctor.
But even following all the rules and guidelines after an interruption, regardless of the method of abortion, a woman still not safe from secondary infertility. Therefore, planning pregnancy after abortion should begin with a visit to the gynecologist. If the diagnosis of “infertility” is still set, a doctor must conduct a full examination to identify the cause of the violation and prescribe treatment.
There are cases when therapy does not result, the treatment is ineffective. In such situations, a woman is referred to for reproduction of the procedure in art, which includes IVF, IMSI, ICSI, surrogacy.