Postinor for abortion in the early stages
Postinor is an emergency contraceptive drug actions on the basis of the synthetic hormone levonorgestrel. In addition to the contraceptive effect, a synthetic progestogen has anti-estrogenic and gestagenic action aimed at preventing the process of fertilization. Postinor for abortion at early stages is used in emergency cases when it was not possible to use the local means of contraception or have doubts about their effectiveness.
The mechanism of action of the drug
High concentrations of levonorgestrel contained in Postinora, has a pronounced contraceptive effect when properly used according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Postinor is not considered as a method of abortion. Contraceptives only prevent its onset in the first 3 days after intercourse.
Contraceptive effect Postinor having due to the change of conditions necessary for successful fertilization:
- Pills to abort pregnancy Postinor suppress ovulation in pre-ovulatory phase of the menstrual cycle. This effect is due to the action of progestogen.
- If the sexual act occurred in the period of ovulation or during the second phase of the menstrual cycle is a synthetic hormone induces structural changes in the female reproductive cells: its hard shell becomes a barrier that sperm cannot overcome. Suppression of estrogen causes changes in the fallopian tubes and the endometrium, preventing the transplantation of the ovum in the uterus.
The bleeding after 2 to 5 days after taking the pill indicates the effective action of the drug. If spotting minor or completely absent, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist to rebut the pregnancy. Before visiting the doctor you can use a strip test to determine pregnancy early on.
To use Postinora should be resorted to only in exceptional cases. The view that medical abortion in early pregnancy causes fewer side effects, is wrong. A sharp change in the hormonal levels triggers the menstrual cycle, the recovery which could take years.
To achieve a 100% contraceptive effect take Postinor according to the prescribed scheme:
|Time after intercourse||Reception days Postinor||Clinical effect|
|1 day||2 day||3 day||4 day|
|up to 24 hours||the first tablet||the second tablet at intervals of 12 – 16 hours||95%|
|up to 48 hours||the first tablet||the second tablet at intervals of 12 hours||85%|
|up to 72 hours||the first tablet||the second tablet 12 hours interval||less than 60%|
If, after the reception there was vomiting, you need to re-take it for 2 – 3 hours. After 3 days after intercourse contraceptive ineffective.
After applying Postinora need to use the local means of contraception not to get pregnant again. If at the time of admission Postinora the woman did not know of the coming pregnancy, she may not have an abortion.
To date, data on the mutational properties of levonorgestrel does not exist. Medical statistics of existing cases of a full pregnancy and birth of healthy children, when to terminate Postinora failed. However, the risk of occurrence of anomalies can not be absolutely ruled out.
Sudden hormonal changes provokes not only the dysfunction of the reproductive system, but also causes side effects, complications:
- the disruption of the natural menstrual cycle;
- the changing nature of the menstrual discharge;
- breakthrough bleeding;
- pain in the lower abdomen and lower back;
- allergic reaction as hives, blisters, erythema;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- headache of varying intensity;
- pain in the Breasts;
- swelling of the face and extremities;
- emotional instability;
- a sharp drop in blood pressure;
- loss of appetite;
- the increase of body weight;
- decreased libido;
- incomplete removal of the ovum.
The appearance of any of these symptoms requires immediate treatment for qualified help. Disregard of this recommendation may cause the appearance of complications.
Postinor is not used more than 1 time within one menstrual cycle due to pronounced effect of levonorgestrel on the hormonal background. To plan pregnancy after the restoration of the menstrual cycle.
Despite the non-prescription status of the drug in the pharmacy network, its use must be agreed with the gynecologist.
Among the main contraindications to the use Postinora release:
- severe liver disease and pancreas;
- some hereditary defects of enzymes;
- pubertal age (under 16 years);
- allergic to synthetic sex hormones;
- the presence of hormone-dependent tumors;
- individual sensitivity of an organism to components of the drug.
When the recommended dose of blood clotting and metabolic processes in the body are not observed in most cases. Excess doses of hormonal agents require the use of sorbents and gastric lavage.
Some medicines reduce the effectiveness Postinor while using:
- antibiotics tetracycline;
- immunosuppressive drugs (Cyclosporine);
- coumarin derivatives;
- antiepileptic and anticonvulsants;
- anti-TB drugs;
- antiviral agents;
- homeopathic remedies, including St. John’s wort.
As an alternative Postinor can be considered Escapes, which produces a similar contraceptive effect, but is less toxic.
Consult a gynecologist and compliance with its recommendations significantly reduce the probability of making the wrong decision and all sorts of complications. The planned use of contraception will prevent the rash act and maintain female reproductive health.