Sebaceous cyst – what it is: description and photos
The appearance on the surface of the skin growths are always exciting. It is not only cosmetic defect, limiting social activity, causing a feeling of discomfort. Any modified area of the skin demonstrates that there is a health problems. Sebaceous cyst – what it is (photo) are widely described in the dermatological practice. The complex of diagnostic measures will determine the nature of the pathology, to distinguish it from diseases with similar symptoms and prescribe a treatment plan.
What is a neoplasm?
In most cases, the appearance on the body of compacted area, rising a little above the surface of the skin, associated with the cosmetic defect. In the initial stage of the development of sebaceous cyst does not manifest itself. Her volume increases over a long period. This creates preconditions for self-treatment at home. How dangerous is it?
Atheroma refers to benign tumors of the subcutaneous tissue. It is presented in the form of a dense capsule, within which contains sebum, dead skin cells, cholesterol crystals. On the surface of the raised seal of round shape you can see the blockage of the sebaceous glands.
In medical terms this pathology klassificeret as a cyst of the sebaceous glands. Attempts at self-removal of the capsule without cutting the skin do not give a positive result. If the mutated area is not hurt to remove, the structural changes in the epidermal layer does not occur. Atheroma has similar symptoms with other diseases, even cancer. It is therefore important as early as possible to diagnose the pathology.
Similar symptoms are characteristic of diseases such as:
- lipoma (lipoblastoma), popularly referred to as Wen;
- a ganglion cyst – tumor formation of benign nature with serous content;
- fibroma is a benign neoplasm, consisting of cells of the connective and fibrous tissue
Depending on the nature of education of a cyst of the sebaceous glands can be congenital due to abnormal development of skin appendages, or acquired (e.g. after acne). In some instances fails to find out why on the body appears a cyst of the sebaceous glands.
If there are no vivid symptoms of the disease, to seek the advice of a not in a hurry. Only with the appearance of pain, color change, density, structure of education of women is a sense of anxiety. The rapid growth of the atheroma is also not a very good sign and requires mandatory inspection specialist.
A sebaceous cyst may be a single element, and multiple tumors (steatocystoma). It can present on any area of the body, but the maximum probability of its occurrence in the area with large concentrations of sebaceous glands:
- the chest area;
- the upper part of the back;
- the back of the head;
- face (eyebrow, lip, nose, cheeks, chin, zygomatic arch, brow);
- the scalp;
- inguinal region, the perineum area.
Despite the fact that it is not always possible to find out the cause of this disease, there are factors that directly influence its appearance. During normal operation of sweat and sebaceous glands with a moderate secretion of the skin clean without visible signs of inflammation.
Intensive sebum ducts are clogged. There are favourable conditions for development of pathogenic flora.
Overactive sebum skin can be caused by the following circumstances:
- genetic predisposition to allergic and dermatological diseases: acne, seborrhea (80% of cases);
- endocrine diseases (including diabetes mellitus);
- hormonal dysfunction in puberty and menopause;
- diseases of the digestive system;
- excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis);
- congenital abnormalities of sebaceous glands in utero;
- lack of proper hygiene;
- improper use of cosmetic products for skin care, decorative cosmetics;
- irrational use of medicines (including hormonal contraceptives systemic action);
- errors in food: abundance of sweet, pastries, fried and smoked products;
- long stay in a stuffy room and in the sun;
- damage to the skin when squeezing acne, incomplete removal of the capsule.
To determine the cause of the tumors, it is necessary to examine the location of the sebaceous cyst and the capsule contents.
Diagnosis and treatment
An experienced specialist will not be difficult to diagnose pathology. However, in some cases, if you suspect cancer, will require additional methods of examination of the body. Histological examination of the cyst contents of the sebaceous glands will confirm or deny cancer.
Unlike other dermatological diseases with similar symptoms, atheroma has a more dense content. For overactive sebaceous glands become clogged and remove cysts the contents of your own at home is impossible. Deciding to self, need to assess the risk of probable complications.
Sometimes the advice of one dermatologist is not enough. In the presence of systemic diseases in the anamnesis for help you can refer to such doctors as:
The complex of diagnostic measures in addition to visual examination, including blood sampling, tissue fragment of the affected area for further research, as well as ultrasound.
If cancer is excluded, the classical scheme of treatment involves the following methods remove cysts sebaceous glands:
- using a laser;
- radio wave;
- surgical husking.
If abnormal growths are small, their diameter not exceeding 8 mm, and they are not located in the deep layers of tissue, use of laser removal. Influencing the laser beam on the affected area, cyst along with the contents of the capsule. The laser method is the most appropriate type of treatment.
Its advantages are obvious:
- the procedure for removal does not exceed 20 minutes;
- the patient hardly feels discomfort;
- short rehabilitation period (5-7 days);
- the absence of scarring tissue;
- bloodless method of treatment;
- minimal risk of recurrence of diseases;
- to minimize the likelihood of infection of pathogenic flora.
Contraindications to the appointment procedure:
- the location of the cyst beneath the skin;
- the size of the formation exceeds 10 mm;
- cyst infected with pathogenic flora;
- histological examination confirmed a malignant tumor.
The use of laser technology is not available to every patient. The procedure is carried out in the Oncology clinic, will cost in the range of 100 – 200 dollars depending on the nature of education, places of localization.
Despite the lack of oncological process, the laser removal procedure should be carried out only in specialized medical institutions.
Particularly noteworthy are the sebaceous cysts, located in the mammary glands.
If a sebaceous cyst on the nipple, then without consultation with a mammologist or oncologist is not enough. This delicate area requires the most gentle method of treatment in order to avoid injury of the body and its complications.
The radio wave method ranks second in terms of effectiveness in uncomplicated cases. Its principle of operation is based on layer-by-layer removal using radio waves coming from a special apparatus. This surgical procedures is also less traumatic, but after the removal procedure body is a trail of small holes.
Radical treatment are recognized surgical husking cystic masses. This treatment option is most effective compared to the above described. If is not a question of aesthetic appearance, and the affected area covers a large area, this type of surgery is more acceptable. Its advantage is the almost complete absence of recurrence of the disease.
Husking atheroma is another method of surgical treatment. The procedure is rather painful, therefore requires local anesthesia. Is performed in a hospital of specialized medical institution surgeon (oncologist). Slicing through the tissue, the doctor removes the cyst together with the capsule. After removing the tumors, the surgeon puts the stitches. Sometimes this method is combined with the radio wave. If the operation is conducted in compliance with all rules of asepsis, the treated area will no longer get clogged.
No matter which treatment was assigned, the procedure should be entrusted to a highly qualified specialist to minimize the likelihood of complications or recurrence.
The rehabilitation period
If the atheroma study, the decision was made on surgical treatment, rehabilitation period requires compliance with the following guidelines:
- Antibacterial therapy. If there are obvious signs of secondary infection, the doctor prescribes antibiotics for systemic effects in the form of injection or oral administration. Mostly used antibiotics cephalosporins or macrolides. If slight inflammation is sufficient treatment of the wound with antiseptic solutions and antibiotic ointments (Levomekol, Zinc ointment, liniment balsam by Wisniewski).
- Anti-inflammatory treatment based on the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Ibuprofen, Mefenamic acid).
- Painkillers take symptomatic with severe pain (Paracetamol, Analgin, Ketanov).
- Traditional medicine in the form of decoctions for the treatment of wound surface used in the absence of striking clinical manifestations of inflammation. Natural antiseptic with regenerative effect are: calendula, chamomile, leaves mother-and-stepmother, birch, walnut, oak bark, willow and other herbal remedies. Any decision check with your doctor to avoid complications.
In order to prevent a recurrence of the pathology is required to adhere to the mode of day and feed:
- full body hygiene with the use of cosmetic products for body care;
- local application of medication with a drying effect in the appearance of inflammation in problem zones;
- power correction (restriction of sweet, flour, smoked foods, preservatives, harmful food additives);
- weight reduction (if necessary);
- active rest in the fresh air;
- good sleep;
- timely treatment of skin diseases (seborrhea, acne, acne);
- the absence of stressful situations;
- prevention of excessive sweating (wearing clothes of quality materials, etc.).
Timely diagnosis of all tumors appeared on the skin, helps prevent probable complications. Competent approach and cleverly chosen treatment regimen will minimize the risk of recurrence.