Secondary infertility in women, treatment and signs
Every year an increasing number of couples who are unable to become parents, even though I live a regular sexual life. There are 2 types of infertility: primary, when a young woman has never been pregnant, and secondary infertility, if you already have one child – the firstborn, but not impossible to conceive 2nd child after 12 months of regular sexual life. But it is worse when first pregnancy occurred, but for some reason failed to save it, and get pregnant again becomes a problem – think secondary infertility.
Causes of secondary infertility
According to specialists, many reasons can affect secondary infertility in women.
- The presence of gynecological diseases in the body can cause secondary infertility. Such diseases can be: inflammation of the uterine appendages, cysts ovaries, poor patency of the fallopian tubes and others.
- The age of the expectant mother – this is one of the factors influencing the conception of the child. Most women, after giving birth to their first child, do not hurry again to get pregnant using different types of contraception. They do not think that the older they become, decreasing their fecundity or fertility, the problems begin. The most favorable age is between 18 to 30 years. 35 years old to become a mother much more difficult.
- Hormonal dysfunction has an effect on the possibility of pregnancy. In particular, with increased production of thyroid hormones, hyperthyroidism is when the gland is suppressed activities of the pituitary gland, which leads to disruption of the menstrual cycle. When the thyroid gland produces enough hormones, you have hypothyroidism, begins to increase production of hormones of the pituitary gland, they affect activities of the ovaries. All of this can lead to infertility.
- Often infertility is secondary, if spouses do not lead a healthy lifestyle. Many do not observe proper diet, have bad habits. When this occurs, the weight gain, creates a stressful situation on the basis of alcohol, the nervous system is in constant tension.
- On fertility can be adversely affected by abortion. After curettage of the uterus inevitably develop chronic endometritis, which in the future may lead to infertility.
What diagnostic steps you can take?
After a year passed, but never managed to get pregnant, do not despair. You need to visit a gynecologist who will be asked to take a survey to identify causes of secondary infertility in women.
Approximately 3 months prior to the visit schedule should be the beginning and the end of menstruation, as well as to conduct a test to determine ovulation by measuring basal temperature by inserting the thermometer into the anus. This procedure is desirable to do immediately after waking up, when menstruation will end. All data is recorded in a notebook. At the onset of ovulation, the thermometer will display the temperature from 37S to 37.2 C.
The gynaecologist may take a swab on the presence of different kinds of infection in the body: mycoplasmosis, chlamydiosis, trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, herpes viruses, and others. These organisms cause inflammatory processes affecting conception.
The next stage of diagnosis is the detection of hormones. For this rent the blood of veins, necessarily on an empty stomach for 5-7 day of the menstrual cycle. Validated standards for levels of sex hormones, pituitary, ovarian, adrenal and thyroid glands in a woman’s body.
Visit the office ultrasound can help to identify the many causes of infertility. Will be checked ovaries and phase state of surface layer of the uterus – the endometrium, and the ripening of the follicle.
In addition, studies using modern instruments of the internal state of the uterus, assess the patency of the fallopian tubes. Thanks to laparoscopy, it is possible not only to detect various causes of infertility, but also to eliminate them is to divide adhesions, to remove the cyst.
During diagnostics always checks the health of men. You will need to visit the urologist, to hand over a semen on the analysis, undergo ultrasound examination, blood tests. Only then the doctors decide that it is best to take and what to treat.
Treatment of secondary infertility
Fortunately, in most cases, the woman fails to recover from certain diseases and eliminate the causes of infertility. This is possible with the accurate determination of diagnosis and professional therapy.
- In determining the dysfunction of the thyroid gland the endocrinologist will prescribe a hormone treatment. After a while, the thyroid gland will begin to function harmoniously, normalize the work of other vital organs, will be able to get pregnant.
- If you find inflammatory and pathological processes in the genital organs of a woman have to engage in their treatment. Gynecologist will prescribe antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. Kidney function should again after a while to resume.
- In several instances shown to consult a nutritionist. Woman given oral vitamins and minerals. It is recommended to go to perform morning exercises and give up bad habits.
- Upon detection of adhesions, polyps and cysts treatment with medicines or surgery.
Unfortunately, there are cases when cure secondary infertility is impossible. These include:
- serious complications after abortion;
- the presence of adhesions on the fallopian tubes that cannot be eliminated;
- non-modifiable hormonal changes.
Modern methods of re-conception
What if after 2 – 3 years after treatment and can’t get pregnant? Many couples offer a modern way to have children.
- ECO – friendly artificial insemination in the laboratory. This is taken from the mother’s egg, it is fertilized and implanted in the woman’s uterus, so that it was fixed.
- Childbearing by a surrogate mother. This method is used in cases when the woman cannot bear the pregnancy. The egg is fertilized artificially and placed in the uterus of a surrogate mother, she carries the fetus.
All these methods are expensive and not always succeed. Causes of secondary infertility in women a lot, but they are often treatable. Therefore, it is necessary to consult a doctor and follow all his prescriptions, and only then, it will be possible to have a healthy baby.