Spermicidal gel the advantages of spermicidal action of the means
Spermicidal gel is a simple and convenient means of contraception. You can buy it without prescription in any pharmacy. It is convenient to use and rarely causes side effects.
Modern contraception offers a variety of means. If you have previously used hormonal drugs, is now increasingly resorting to the use of barrier methods of contraception. These are the methods by which obstructed the penetration of the sperm into the vagina.
They can be mechanical and chemical. Mechanical are condoms, caps, diaphragms. Chemical is different spermicides. They are produced in the form of gels, creams, capsules, aerosols, foaming tablets, suppositories. Gels and creams protect up to six hours, the capsule about four hours, aerosols, suppositories, foam, and pills for about one hour.
The advantages of spermicides:
- The possibility of combination with other contraceptives. Spermicides often are used as an independent method, as a rule, they are combined with other methods.
- Spermicides act locally, allowing you to use them if there are limitations to the appointment of oral contraceptive pill.
- Used in case of urgent protection during a break in taking hormonal drugs.
- Convenient when non-regular sexual relations, when there is no sense to use permanent contraceptive methods.
- Can be used at any age and period, including adolescents.
- Do not penetrate into the blood and breast milk, so can be used when breast-feeding.
- Reduce the risk of sexually transmitted infections (while used with other barrier contraceptives).
- Effect of lubricants that moisturize.
- Sold without a prescription.
Disadvantages of spermicidal funds:
- The low efficiency. Therefore they are used only in combination with other drugs (condom, hormonal drugs).
- Can cause individual allergic reactions.
- Some inconvenience in use. To enter them you need 10 minutes before sexual intercourse.
- It is impossible to take a shower and wash away the spermicide earlier than 30 – 60 minutes.
- The need for re-introduction before each act of intercourse some means.
All the spermicides are similar way – they kill the sperm membrane. The only difference in time of action. Faster a chloride benzalkonium chloride, Deplete the male cells for 10 seconds.
Features a spermicidal gel
Successful method is a combination of gel diaphragms with vaginal and uterine caps. This achieves the maximum effect. Produced gel in a tube, it is applied with your finger or a special applicator. The action starts immediately after the introduction and together with a diaphragm or rubber cap lasts up to six hours. Contraceptive effect increases. An additional property of the gel is vaginal.
When assigning vaginal diaphragms and cervical caps are not necessarily their spermicidal lubrication gel.
The main active ingredient in the gel is often benzalkonium chloride. It has a devastating effect on the male sexual cells and thus preventing the fertilization of an egg. Vaginal mucosa under the influence of the gel is not exposed to destruction.
In addition to benzalkonium chloride in the gels used another substance nonoxynol-9. It destroys the outer shell of the sperm cells and some infectious agents. Unfortunately, the possibility of Contracting diseases transmitted through sexual contact, still remains very high. Nonoxynol-9 has no smell, does not irritate the lining of the vagina and rinse well.
Rarely used menfegol, octoxynol, fenerty acetate.
How to apply spermicidal gel?
- It is recommended to wash your hands.
- To get out of the package dosing applicator and put it on the tube.
- Squeeze required amount of gel by tapping the tube.
- To introduce the gel into the vagina in the supine position as far as possible.
Action spermicidal gel starts after 10 to 15 minutes after injection and lasts 2 to 6 hours. Applying the gel before each sexual contact. One dimensional dose involves a single sexual act.
Use of the gel along with a condom
Doctors recommend the use of a barrier means in combination with a spermicidal gel, which ensures a high degree of protection from pregnancy. The condom itself is very reliable as a means of protecting against pregnancy and diseases. But if the condom broke, the protection will amount to gel, pre-entered in the vagina. Condoms combined with spermicide give almost 100 percent guarantee.
Produced condoms with a spermicidal lubricant applied to the surface. Often used nonoxynol-9. The concentration of spermicides on the condom below, so the effect is reduced compared to the gel. In addition, chemical agent exposes the protective properties of the condom breaking. Therefore, it is preferable to use the normal condom with vaginal gel.
Contraindications to the use of gel-spermicides
- Female inflammatory disease in the acute phase.
- Allergic reactions to spermicidal substances.
- Anatomical features that prevent a uniform distribution of gel in the vagina.
- Menstruation or spotting.
- Period after delivery for six weeks.
- The presence of erosive changes of the cervix. Contraindication is due to the irritant effect of the gel and the violation of the vaginal flora.
Spermicides can be used during lactation as they do not fall into breast milk, and therefore not dangerous for the baby.
Tips to maximize use of gels
- Soap contributes to the destruction of the active substance of the gel, so two hours before and after sexual contact is not recommended to shower with soap and water.
- Not to douche during the action of the gel.
- Not to take a bath with the already introduced drug.
- It is not recommended to combine gels with other vaginal means.
Names manufactured spermicidal gels
Among our products the most popular spermicides are:
Gels and creams disinfect the vaginal mucous membrane, destroy the sperm cells and some pathogenic bacteria. Studies have shown that the gels can protect against herpes, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, syphilis.
For maximum efficiency it is very important to follow the instructions to the drug.
Doctors prescribe “pharmatex” and “Benateks” during lactation, menopause, contraceptive for a single protection.
Spermicidal gels show high protective qualities when properly used and reasonable combination with other barrier means, but is not a complete guarantee, providing protection against venereal and infectious diseases. It is recommended to use spermicides along with condoms and other contraceptives.