The IUD removal: removal of intrauterine devices, the wear time
Intrauterine device today is one of the most reliable methods of contraception. But no matter how friendly was a spiral, worn for too long. Sooner or later there comes a time when it should be taken out. Basically the reason for the removal of the spiral is the end of the period of wear. The average Navy “works” 3 to 5 years, but there are varieties of able to perform its function up to 10 years.
In exceptional cases, the IUD removal takes place for different reasons — it could be rejection, inflammatory processes, diseases of organs of small pelvis, pain or bleeding for unknown reasons, and just not feeling well after installation. Because, like it or not, the intrauterine device is a foreign body inside the female body, and its reaction with this invasion is purely individual.
General information about the Navy
When it comes to inserting or removing IUDs, every woman immediately raises a million questions — if it hurts, how to live comfortably with that thing inside, what could be the consequences when you can have sex after the installation. Therefore, it is important to explain the fact that if the Navy put a qualified gynecologist, and the patient carefully monitored their health during the period of its use, and removal of the spiral will be absolutely painless. Most importantly, do not cheat yourself and not wait for something terrible from this basic procedure.
To make sure that to install and remove IUDs do not hurt, you need a little bit to imagine what is it and how does it work.
The intrauterine spiral is a T-shaped device attached to the rod with a nylon thread placed inside the uterus and prevent the consolidation of an embryo and its further development. After the Navy the ends of the threads remain in the vagina, so you can easily take it off by pulling the string. IUDs are made of plastic or with a small addition of silver or copper — these metals neutralize the sperm, preventing fertilization.
In addition to the normal spirals, there are and hormone that not only protect against are not planning conception, but also to regulate the menstrual cycle, reduce the amount of bleeding and pain during menstruation. Hormones, placed in spiral, make the cervical mucus thicker, which prevents the sperm getting into the uterus. The overall level of hormones in the female body is not increased, blocking ovulation does not occur and the menstrual cycle is not disturbed.
After the installation of intrauterine contraception for several weeks it is recommended to carefully consider to your body uterus some time will “get used” to a foreign body, you may experience nagging pains in the lower abdomen and spotting. Typically, these feelings pass within a cycle. If pain and discomfort is strong, then perhaps this type of spiral does not suit you and then you need to remove it and replace with another type.
The nuances that should be considered when removing the spiral
- One of the main points when you remove the IUD: pregnancy can occur immediately after the procedure. If you consider that sperm can live inside a woman’s vagina up to 7 days, it will take care of additional contraception should be a month before the planned extraction.
- In no case should one try to get spiral on their own is threatened not only by infection but also by damage to the inner walls of the uterus and bleeding. Remove the spiral can only be a doctor with sterile instruments.
- Remove the spiral alone is possible only in the case if she had, but still can not pull or yank her antennae.It is best to squat, stretch the muscles of the vagina as long as she is not going to work. After this procedure must see a doctor, as one of the causes of hair loss can become a pregnancy.
- Remove the spiral the best day in the most abundant menstruation. The cervix at this period becomes softer and more easily stretched, so the contraceptive is removed easier.
- Month after removal of the spiral may occur with a delay, but that is no reason to worry. The reason for this may be ovarian dysfunction or hormonal imbalance. Delay up to 2 months is the norm, but if you do not exclude the probability of conception, it is best to consult a doctor.
- If you have any bleeding after removal of the spiral, it indicates damage of the mucous layer of the endometrium during retrieval. If bleeding is profuse and prolonged, you should see a doctor.
- If the reason for the removal of the spiral is planning pregnancy, it should be noted that when using the hormonal IUD thins the layer of the endometrium to get pregnant immediately after removal of the spiral will not work. Will have to wait until the lining reaches sufficient thickness for fixing and nutrition of the embryo.
The production and wearing of any type of intrauterine device is the most durable, simple and inexpensive method of contraception. Within a few years you don’t need to buy expensive monthly pills to control their regular intake and the degree of reliability of this method is 98 %.
The use of the Navy requires its owner undergo regular gynecological examinations and ultrasound to monitor the position of the spiral in the uterus and exclude the possibility of inflammatory processes.
Specialists strongly recommend to wear a spiral more than the period, as this can occur ingrown elements of the Navy in the wall of the uterus, and then its removal will be possible only surgically.
The procedure for removing intrauterine devices is the preliminary examination of the patient to ensure that the device has not shifted and his whiskers of sufficient length in order to be able to pull them with tweezers.
- After the external examination of the vagina is a special expander, which allows you to see the cervix and tendrils spiral, after which the cervix and the vagina cleansed with antiseptic.
- If antennae are long enough, the gynecologist just grabs the thread and pulls it, and the spiral folds neatly inside the uterus and exits through the cervical canal. In this case the patient needs to fully relax to tense muscles did not prevent the exit of the spiral.
- If the procedure is breakage of the threads, then further extraction is carried out using a special hook under ultrasound control.
- Despite the apparent simplicity of this procedure, sometimes to remove the spiral is a little harder. Basically all the difficulties arise from the mixing of VMS, causing the ends of the antennae are too short and pull them out with tweezers is impossible. In this case, resort to the procedure of hysteroscopy — extraction spiral using a special long tube with a camera and tools at the end. It is done under local anesthesia so that no pain occurs.
Usually the spiral is 3 to 5 years, but there are cases where removal of intrauterine device occurs prematurely.
The causes of premature removal of wire
- The most common cause of premature withdrawal of the spiral is the desire of women to get pregnant. A few years ago it was believed that after the removal of the Navy you must give the body to restore the layer of the endometrium, but the modern IUDs make it possible to protect the pregnancy once it has been extracted, and if it happens before ovulation, the probability of pregnancy increases.
- Inflammatory diseases of the female reproductive system, and these lesions may form after the installation of the spiral as a reaction to the introduction of a foreign object. The likelihood of inflammatory disease increases due to the frequent change of sexual partners, as it does not protect a woman from sexually transmitted infections.
- Uterine fibroids, while if it is small and does not cause deformation of the uterus, the coil can not be removed, but if after installing there is a growth or appearance of new lesions, removal is a must.
- An ectopic pregnancy, the spiral at least and protects against unplanned conception, the risk of ectopic pregnancy still remains. So if there is a delay of menstruation and there is a suspicion of pregnancy, it is better to see a gynecologist to rule out this possibility and the possible consequences.
- Suspected pregnancy (we are talking about a normal intrauterine pregnancy), spiral though it is considered the most reliable method of contraception, there are still cases of conception with a spiral inside. In this case, the time removed the subject of contraception will allow you to keep the baby.
- Perforation of the uterine wall is very rare cause the removal of wire, but it is the most difficult. Usually, this occurs due to improper location of the device, the IUD removal is carried out only by surgery.
The installation of the IUD and its removal should be entrusted to qualified specialist who can not only accurately and painlessly to remove the existing contraceptive, but also to advise the patient about when to pull it out, what consequences can be after extraction, to conduct a professional examination to exclude inflammation and possible infection.
Install of VMS or to use other means of contraception is a personal matter for each person. The present level of development of medicine offers a huge number of these means and forces each person to plan his life in such manner as he sees fit. So if the birth of a child not in your immediate plans, you should not ignore the reproductive ability of an organism and irresponsible approach to reliable contraception.