The recovery cycle and the nature of menstruation after childbirth
Every woman’s body after childbirth required a little rest. This is to ensure that all organs and systems back to normal. The main characteristic of successful recovery is the resumption of the menstrual cycle. So many women are interested in the question about when periods return after childbirth.
After the birth of a baby the resumption of menstruation is a process that involves returning to the original position of the endocrine glands and organs. It all starts with the fact that there is a gradual purification of the uterus. This period lasts for six to eight weeks and is accompanied by release of lochia. Gradually restore the functions of the mammary glands. Come to normal of the endocrine, cardiovascular and nervous system.
The restoration of normal menstrual cycle involves the passage of processes in the form of:
- Return of the uterus to the prenatal state. This process is called involution. It passes quickly enough.
- Active contraction of muscles, allowing the uterus returns to its original dimensions.
- Restore the uterine fundus. This process occurs in the first ten or twelve days after delivery. Every day the bottom drops presumably one centimeter.
- Reduce the weight of the uterus. Seven days after birth, the uterus becomes weighing four hundred grams. After six to eight weeks, she already has a weight of not more than sixty grams.
- The quick formation of a cervical canal of the uterus. Complete closure of the throat takes place three weeks after the generic process.
Such recovery processes prior to the resumption of the menstrual cycle go back to normal. Also there is nothing wrong with that if these processes occurred a little earlier or later.
Causes of slow recovery
Restore menstruation can be fast or slow. This happens for a number of reasons. These include:
- too weakened body after the generative process;
- the presence of more than three pregnancies;
- the first birth in a woman over thirty years;
- labor complications;
- violations of postpartum conditions;
- poor nutrition mom;
- the presence of postpartum depression.
If the patient thinks that the resumption of the menstrual cycle is slowed or period came early, you should visit the doctor and understand the cause of this. An experienced doctor will answer the question, how much will go to the restoration of the body and how long may not be menstruation after childbirth.
Discharge after childbirth
Every woman would like to know what should be the nature of menstruation after childbirth. Do not be afraid that in five to six weeks after the birth of a baby from a woman going selection. They are called lachemi. Every day the character of the uterine discharge changes. This happens in the following way:
- In the first two days of the selection a rich, crimson with clots. During this period, active uterine contractions. On the second or third day the intensity of the discharge decreases a little, but lochia remain bloody. Perhaps the presence of pain when feeding the baby (due to the contractile activity of the uterus).
- On the third or fourth day lochia change shade. They become pink-red, less abundant.
- Ten days after the delivery of the selection to acquire a lighter shade and becomes liquid, pinkish. Every day their number is reduced.
- In the third week of lochia become scanty, spotting. Can only be mucus with blood.
- Five to six weeks allocation has to stop at all.
Lochia persisting for more than 6 weeks after birth – a sign of complications. In this situation should immediately contact a doctor. Do not be afraid and that allocations are quite specific, but not too pungent smell. The odor of the impurities of pus – is also a reason to see a gynecologist.
You should know the fact that the period after childbirth during breast-feeding (GW) come later. This condition does not apply to pathological processes. But there are two versions of events:
- Means the start of menstruation only after breastfeeding. This phenomenon can be explained by the fact that in the female body during GW has a lot of prolactin. This hormone is aimed at the production of breast milk. Also if any observed suppression of the functioning of the ovaries, with the result that the egg does not ripen. Often period when guards come to the moment when the child is introduced first solid foods (after six months).
- The second option involves the restoration of menstruation after delivery in eight weeks. Such a process is not a deviation. In this case, the first menstruation is usually anovulatory. That is, while the follicle Matures and bursts, but the egg did not go out as it is not. After that, the bubble is subjected to reverse development, resulting in the collapse and rejection of the mucous membrane of the uterus. In the future, starts a recovery cycle after birth, and menstrual function completely recovered.
In practice it happens that I got my period after delivery, and then disappeared and went again in two months. This state is also the norm, as first period is not always ovulate.
It is also worth noting that the first month after childbirth can be scarce and do not last more than three days. The fact that the mucous membrane has not yet had time to fully recover after a generic process. But subsequent cycles will become as before.
If a woman gets their period after birth, this does not mean that breast-feeding must stop. There is a perception that when you begin menstruation, the child refuses the breast itself. Some truth in this. But it is not due to change of taste of milk, and change in mother’s smell.
If we talk about artificial feeding, in such a situation, the cycle will return to normal after six to eight weeks after birth.
Features of the menstrual cycle after childbirth:
- Irregular (if the woman feeds her baby breast milk).
- Changing the nature and volume of secretions (in the first months of menstrual bleeding may be profuse).
- Ovulation on the GW background arises not always, and many cycles are anovulatory.
- The average cycle length can increase up to 35 days or more. The gap between menstrual bleeding increases.
- The intensity of pain may be different. Many women find that menstruation after childbirth are lighter and not accompanied by PMS.
Unstable cycle in lactating mother – a normal variant. After weaning, the cycle will return to normal without any additional therapy.
Menstruation after cesarean section
Often menstrual cycle after giving birth by caesarean section differ from those of periods that were before the pregnancy. Such changes may affect the regularity, pain and amount of bleeding during menstruation. Some of the young mothers menstrual periods irregular nature are very difficult. A further condition depends entirely on the seams of the recovery process and stressful situations.
Abundant or very poor, irregular periods after childbirth suggests that the body is failing you and you go to the doctor.
Avoid repeated pregnancy after the intervention for two years. The body after cesarean section is much more difficult to recover, so you need to choose the right method of contraception. This question will prompt the gynecologist. Artificial interruption of pregnancy during the first year after cesarean section also does not benefit the woman.
Problems after birth
After the menstrual function was restored, women can appear a few problems. These include:
- An irregular cycle. No need to worry if in the first six months after giving birth my period has not established. There may be delay menstruation from two to seven days. This is normal as the body tries to recover.
You might also encounter irregular periods while breastfeeding. The whole process depends on how the organism allocates the prolactin to make milk. If milk mom a lot, ovarian function fades a little. As soon as the number is reduced, enter into the work of the appendages.
Women may worry about the long absence of menstruation after childbirth. If the patient feeds the baby’s chest, then do not worry. My period may not come until the end of lactation. It is worth noting the fact that after giving birth while breastfeeding and no period you need to use methods of contraception. Most women believe that if she is breastfeeding and has no menses, she cannot become pregnant a second time. This opinion is erroneous, because the ovaries still produce eggs.
- The duration of the cycle. Many women wonder how long the cycle is restored after the birth. Do not expect quick resumption. The current state will differ considerably from zaberemenila. In ninety percent of cases the duration of the cycle varies and is from twenty to thirty-five days.
Sometimes it happens that the menses come every two weeks. Frequent periods after childbirth are also regarded as deviations, because it can indicate endometrial hyperplasia and other gynecological pathology. This problem occurs due to hormonal failure.
- The duration of the period. During normal operation of the body they should last from three to six days. If menstruation are shorter than two days, more than a week, then you need to see a doctor. In some situations, it may be a signal of severe disease in the form of uterine fibroids or endometriosis.
- The amount of discharge. The average volume of discharge per day shall not exceed one hundred and fifty milliliters. To determine this parameter we need to track how often there is a change of pads. One strip should be enough for four to six hours.
- The presence of abnormal discharge. If patient has a failure of the menstrual cycle on the background of the emergence of unusual vaginal discharge (cloudy, with an unpleasant odor), you should see a doctor. This can be a symptom of inflammation of the uterus (especially against the background of increasing body temperature).
- Pain. If a woman feels severe pain that interfere with living and forced to take antispasmodics, it indicates pathology. In medicine it is the concept of algodismenorea. Severe pain may occur due to such reasons as:
- immaturity of the body;
- postpartum depression;
- of the tumor.
- Violation of the ovaries. It often happens that ovarian function is compromised by the fact that the woman had a complicated delivery, which was accompanied by bleeding. In such situations, the disrupted development of the egg, leading to hormonal issues. As a result, the menstrual cycle slips, which leads to delayed menstruation.
- Unplanned pregnancy. To avoid this problem, patient need to choose methods of contraception.
- Premenstrual syndrome. In most cases PMS after giving birth is easier or disappears, but not always. PMS can take place not only in the form of increased irritability or bad mood, but to have various physiological symptoms. These include:
- engorgement and breast tenderness;
- fluid retention and swelling;
- changes in mood;
After my period come, all the unpleasant symptoms stop. Therefore, a woman needs to learn to control himself to not hurt yourself and the baby. Over time, women will learn to discern the harbingers of the month and will be able to cope with this condition.
Tips for recovery cycle
Many women ask the doctor how to restore the cycle, if the month long to go. To prevent breaking of the cycle, experts recommend to follow a few recommendations. These include:
- Avoidance of stressful situations. Having a baby is stress for the body. While the body recovers, the system undergoes a psychological depressive state. To avoid this, there should be the closest people.
- The use of infusions of soothing herbs.
- The use of reliable methods of contraception.
- A balanced diet.
- Breast-feeding for at least six months.
- Taking vitamin complexes.
- Performing simple exercise.
Subject to such events menstrual cycle is completely normal self six months after childbirth. Absence of menstruation in breastfeeding women after 6 months after birth is also of the options rules.
Most women wonder how many go to first period and when fully recovered organs and systems. For these questions you can answer only by experienced specialist based on the characteristics of the organism. If the cycle fails to restore, it should complete a full course of treatment at the gynecologist.