The vaginal ring – what is it
Vaginal ring – an alternative to traditional hormonal contraceptives for systemic effects. It works like a monophasic combined means on the basis of etonogestrel and ethinyl estradiol. Vaginal contraceptive ring – a popular form of contraception used by women since 2001.
Ensure a stable hormonal levels throughout the period of use with selection to pre-established doses of hormones, the lack of systemic effects on the gastrointestinal tract, low side effects identified a demand for this type of contraception in the past decade.
Mechanism of action
The hormonal ring is made of hypoallergenic ethynylbenzoate, is a reliable means of contraception: its efficiency reaches 97% (Pearl index of 0.9).
The principle of operation of hormonal ring based on the allocation of a certain dose of hormones (ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel) that suppress ovulation. The same dose of hormones, which is secreted by a ring at body temperature over 36,4⁰С for 21 days, provides a stable hormonal balance.
Thanks vaginal the method of administering the hormones do not exert negative effects on the mucous membranes of the digestive system, metabolism in the liver.
The adaptation period to change of a hormonal background usually does not exceed 3 months. For ease of use in the detergent contains 1 or 3 copies.
Method of application
Birth control ring female self inserted into the vagina, bending it with two fingers. The deeper you entered the device, the higher the chances of its successful location inside the vagina.
After the introduction of hormonal ring under the influence of body temperature takes a comfortable position, the corresponding anatomical features of the vagina. Released from the ring hormones create conditions that impede the promotion of sperm to the egg for susiane cervical mucus.
The contraceptive effect is saved by a proper use of funds according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
The ideal option is the introduction of the contraceptive ring 1 to day 5 of menstruation.
When switching from other contraceptive replacement is advantageously carried out immediately after 7-day break, in order not to lose the contraceptive effect. When you remove the IUD or hormonal implant, the ring is administered immediately.
Do not worry that the ring will fall out of the vagina. The vaginal muscles hold it well even with increasing physical activity, active activities, sexual intercourse, bowel movements, simultaneous use with tampons. If a vaginal contraceptive is correct, it is almost not noticeable even in a moment of intimacy.
Sometimes women prefer to remove the ring before intercourse. Despite this, the contraceptive effect is saved (but not more than 3 hours).
With repeated administration of the hormonal ring is pre-rinsed with water. The same procedure is repeated when the spontaneous loss of a ring (e.g., together with a hygienic swab).
Gynecologists does not recommend the use of hormonal ring in the lactation period, as estrogen inhibits the action of prolactin is necessary for the production of sufficient milk. In this case it is better to use barrier methods of contraception: condom, contraceptive candles (cream).
Additional contraception in the form of local spermicides or a condom are shown in the first week when switching from monophasic combined contraceptive preparations on the ring.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of the use of hormonal rings include:
- ease of use (the introduction of funds 1 time per month);
- no worries about pass pills;
- privacy use;
- the almost complete absence of side effects from the blood;
- low side effects of estrogen rather than systemic hormonal means;
- minimal risk of intermenstrual bleeding;
- no adverse effects on the liver;
- reducing pain during menstruation;
- elimination of premenstrual syndrome;
- reducing the formation of cysts and tumors of the mammary glands;
- the prevention of infectious diseases due to thickening of the cervical mucus.
As with any hormonal agent, contraceptive ring has several side effects:
- vaginal dysbiosis;
- foreign body sensation in the vagina;
- cause nausea;
- the sharp increase in appetite;
- the increase of body weight;
- migrenepodobna headaches;
- increased risk of thrombosis;
- local allergic reaction on the vinyl acetate;
- individual sensitivity to the active substance;
- reduced lactation in nursing women;
- emotional instability;
- pain in mammary glands;
- accelerating the growth of hormone-dependent tumors.
These symptoms indicate the limitation of using this form of contraception in women with a history of such diseases:
- thromboembolism, vein thrombosis;
- diseases of the blood, leading to increase of its coagulability;
- severe renal and hepatic pathology;
- expressed headaches of unknown origin;
- high blood pressure;
- chronic constipation;
- prolapse of the vagina;
- insufficiency of the ligamentous apparatus (uterine prolapse);
- developmental abnormalities of the reproductive organs, interfere with the installation ring;
- acute and chronic inflammatory processes in the vagina;
- idiosyncrasy in history;
- suspected tumor or its availability;
- bleeding of uncertain etiology.
The vaginal ring is an effective form of contraception when used appropriately. Consultation of the gynecologist, the study of the history of the patient with subsequent determination of the level of hormones will reduce the risk of side effects when using contraceptive.