Ultrasound folliculometry how to do and on what day of cycle is
For pregnancy in the female body needs to be ovulating, and the male delivers an active and healthy sperm. Then fertilization takes place without problems and complications. If this desirable event does not occur for a long time, the couple can be advised to undergo a series of examinations. For the diagnosis of female reproductive health, modern medicine has developed a method called — UZ-folliculometry.
What folliculometry measures?
This procedure consists of a series of surveys, which allow us to trace the dynamics of the regular, cyclical processes in a woman’s body. On the basis of observations, the conclusion was there in the observed period ovulation (what day cycle exactly); as was the growth of the inner surface of the mucous membrane of the uterus (called the endometrium).
To diagnose use equipment (scanner, probe) – the apparatus for conducting ultrasound. Everything happens according to the conventional technique of ultrasonography (us), widely used in medicine. This technique has successfully replaced the old and very approximate methods of determining the date of ovulation in gynecology.
- A woman has regular sexual intercourse without using any contraceptives, but pregnancy does not occur during the year.
- The identified variations in the hormone region (changes in the development and the functions of the ovaries, anovulation, etc.).
- There is evidence to stimulate maturation of eggs.
- The couple wants to increase the likelihood of a child of a particular sex (or twins). Found that sex during the ovulation period the chances to give birth to the boy above.
- You need to determine the optimal time for conception.
- The procedure of in vitro fertilization.
Technique used immediately after an ECO to monitor the curing process of a fertilized egg inside the uterus. Decoding results is performed by a doctor of ultrasonic diagnostics and GYN.
Disadvantages of methods
For precise and quantitative conclusions will have to conduct a survey every 3 – 4 days throughout the menstrual cycle. Many people think it’s tedious and expensive, but such a rule gives very high accuracy results. Patient women always reach the goal of having a healthy child.
The procedure of folliculometry needs no special training. For the duration of the research from the diet of the patient exclude products that stimulate excessive formation of gases in the intestines (it hurt to see the follicles): beans, all kinds of cabbage, rye bread, alcohol and carbonated drinks. It is not recommended to take alcohol.
On the day of examination you should check with your doctor, how to conduct the inspection. There are two methods:
- Transabdominal (scanning directly through the wall of the stomach). The patient is on the couch, opening for inspection of the abdomen (from breast to groin). The scanner moves around the body from top to bottom. Before the study is necessarily consumed a liter of any water. Internal organs on a background filled bladder is visible clearly.
- The vaginal sensor. It is more accurate and informative method. For its success empty my bladder and bowels in a natural way or enforced (drugs, enema).
The timing of
When doing folliculometry, tell the doctor. It affects the goals and objectives which puts a gynecologist before the procedure. Exemplary research Protocol looks like this:
- The first study needs to be done after the end of menstrual bleeding. In this period in a woman’s uterus can be detected more follicles with a diameter of at least 5 – 6 mm (the largest are up to 10 mm). Follicles are well visualized with transvaginal study. The thickness of the layer of the endometrium in the uterus 3 mm (it is homogeneous in structure, without inclusions).
- The second procedure will take place on 10 or 11 day cycle. At this time, is clearly visible dominant follicle. He’s the biggest (to 10 mm), is growing and actively increasing in size by 3 – 4 mm per day. In the internal mucosa of the uterus at the same time intensively multiplying cells of the basal layer. By the end of the process, the layer thickness of the endometrium should be about 5 mm, and the size of the dominant follicle will increase to 15 mm. such processes If the doctor is not watching, the study complete. Woman treatment to stimulate the ovulation process in the body.
- Third ultrasound performed on 12 – 13 days. The dominant follicle already has all the signs of the nearness of ripening (diameter 25 mm). The layer of the mucosa of the body of the uterus is thickened to 10 – 12mm (well seen the three-layer structure). If for any reason the functional layer is not thickened, the doctor makes a conclusion about the poor performance of the reproductive system. The uterus in this condition are not ready to accept a fertilized egg. The probability of pregnancy is zero. The following procedure is prescribed only in the normal course of the menstrual cycle.
- The fourth ultrasound is watching the process of ovulation. That is, metamorphosis (transformation) of the dominant follicle in the “education” with irregular contours and selection of liquid. The survey process is repeated until, until the gynecologist clearly don’t see it, or will not start the presence of blood.
- The fifth inspection is done, if ovulation was detected on 15 – day 17 of the cycle. Now well defined cell education in the form of a star (yellow body), a cell layer on the wall of the uterus thickens to 13 mm.
- The last examination is held on 21 – 23 day. If the situation in the normal range, and fertilization has occurred, at this time the embryo needs to infiltrate the wall of the uterus and start to implant. Yellow body still grows, and endometrial cells acquire a homogeneous structure.
Analysis of the collected information
Such a long and thorough process of studying the menstrual cycle of the patient plus additional laboratory tests (determination of the level of sex and many other hormones) enables the Clinician to comprehensively assess the performance of the reproductive system in women and to prescribe effective treatment (if necessary).
The options of diagnoses there are:
- Ovulation is normal. This means that the follicles normally appear and pass all the stages to full maturation (folliculogenesis). A woman is healthy, and conception may take place near the menstrual cycle.
- Persistence means that the follicle is well-formed and quite grown, but not exploded, and “delayed” until the next cycle. This process is reflected in the number of hormones in the blood: high levels of estrogen, low — progesterone. Treatment in this case is not possible. Usually in the next cycle, the follicle goes through a chain of its transformation and differentialsa to the end.
- With atresia of the dominant follicle is a cellular formation suddenly ceases to develop and grow. The follicle is dramatically reduced in size and then disappears, the yellow body is not formed. It is in this case carried stimulation of ovulation.
- Luteinization means that the follicles, missing the stage of ovulation and not releasing a Mature egg into the yellow body.
- The complete absence of follicles (indicative of a very serious disorders of the reproductive system hormonal or birth plan).
- A follicular cyst is a phenomenon when the dominant follicle is not passed the procedure of ovulation and continues to grow uncontrollably. Only the ULTRASONIC folliculometry, thanks to its monitoring can distinguish it from healthy.
They say that the survey is of benefit and helps to get pregnant at times have lost hope to the women.
Repeated visits to the medical centre throughout the menstrual cycle, despite the health and mood, deters many. A large number of procedures (material factor) and their frequent passage (psychological time) — the only drawback of UZ folliculometry. It does not imply a special and complex training is simple and safe at all periods.
Experienced and thoughtful physician of the results of the BONDS of folliculometry will tell how the ovaries and the uterus in particular women, does maturation in General, and in what condition to each phase of the cycle comes internal the mucosa of the reproductive organ (the endometrium).