Ureaplasma during pregnancy, there is real danger and whether to treat
Any deviations in the analyses discovered during the planning phase or during pregnancy can deprive the expectant mother rest and sleep in anxiety for the kid. And the medical community continues to tell of dangerous and especially dangerous pathogens. Such “popular” diagnoses today is ureaplasmosis. Currently this term is recognized as incorrect, and often in practice, the diagnosis is “Ureaplasma infection.”
Detection parvum Ureaplasma (Ureaplasma parvum) or urealyticum the Ureaplasma (Ureaplasma urealyticum) when pregnancy is cause for treatment with potent antibiotics that causes a reasonable apprehension in women. Is it necessary and when justified?
The norm or illness?
How Ureaplasma affects the course of pregnancy, a lot of information, but it is all contradictory. Research is ongoing, the results of each of the following that complement, refute the previous one. Information on the effects of fetal loss, lack of weight and infection of infants, it seems, leaves the woman’s choice — should be treated.
However, the bacterium refers to opportunistic and is present in normal microflora of mucous membranes in 70% of women of the European race in low titre. Western doctors do not consider it ureaplasmosis an infection, separately it is not diagnosed, not treated. But pregnancy is not the time to ignore the risks because you should understand.
Ureaplasma a microorganism in a classification ranking between viruses and bacteria. Has no cell wall. Antibiotics that destroy the cell membrane of pathogenic bacteria, it does not apply. Peacefully coexists with the normal microflora of the vagina, doesn’t manifest itself, does not prevent conception of a child, to restrain the immune defense. The majority of women and men on the planet are carriers of Ureaplasma and are not even aware of latent infection. This condition is normal and not dangerous as long as there is a growth of microorganism for one reason or another.
In violation of the balance of bacteria, hormonal changes, the result of the weakening of the immune system (and all these conditions are characteristics for normal pregnancy), conditionally pathogenic microorganisms are able to multiply uncontrollably. Then it is not the norm, but a real threat to health.
Modern diagnostics distinguishes between two types that combine one term Ureaplasma spp:
- Ureaplasma parvum — causes inflammation of the urethra, of the uterus, kidney stone disease, strongly reduces the local immunity;
- Ureaplasma urealyticum — is able to penetrate healthy cells from attaching to the sperm than reduces their activity.
The peculiarity of their activity is the cleavage of urea. The result is a substance, burning mucous membranes, which leads to inflammation. In the presence of the inflammatory process, Ureaplasma is considered a disease, the diagnosis — Ureaplasma infection.
The symptoms of Ureaplasma infection during pregnancy
Signs of anaplasmosis are non-specific, they cannot be distinguished from symptoms of other urinary tract infections without laboratory examination. In early pregnancy women can easily take a little spotting and pain for the normal manifestations of hormonal changes. Every body is different, responds differently, but there are common symptoms:
- the allocation of (scarce to abundant) is a colorless, odorless;
- burning sensation accompanies the emptying of the bladder;
- if you have sexual intercourse, they may be accompanied by unusual sensations from mild discomfort to marked pain, discharge of blood;
- with rapidly progressing inflammation or infection of the pelvic organs is observed increasing the temperature to 38 °C.
If the cause of the disease only Ureaplasma, symptoms may not be at all or suddenly appeared, they pass in a few days. The pathogen does not disappear, continuing to stay hidden in the body, but at the first opportunity will make itself felt.
Most bacteria propagated vigorously in the background of another sexually transmitted infection. In this case, the symptoms are lubricated, acquire the specifics of the second infection. So, Ureaplasma and Gardnerella together will manifest a discharge with a characteristic smell of rotten fish. Of Gardnerella in pregnancy creates the conditions for reproduction Ureaplasma, these diseases are often diagnosed at the same time.
Paired with yeast selection will acquire a curdled look. Accompanying other infections (gonorrhea, chlamydia, Mycoplasma), ureaplasmosis quickly spreads from the vagina to the authorities “rising path” to the kidneys. The symptoms will depend on where the bacteria settled:
- bladder — all signs of cystitis;
- the ureters and kidneys — dark urine with traces of blood;
- the cervix — during pregnancy the infection will manifest vaginal discharge and aching;
- fallopian tubes and ovaries — girdle pains from the abdomen to the back.
What is the danger of Ureaplasma and whether or not to treat?
Insights about unconditional when Ureaplasma with the development of pathologies during pregnancy to do yet, the consequences of infection at different stages is not fully understood.
To correctly formulate the opinion of official medicine in this issue: direct evidence of the influence that is Ureaplasma pregnancy no, but statistics reveal a large percentage of detection of this microorganism in women with pregnancy pathologies and deviations in development of the newborn. Often Ureaplasma is one of the reasons of infertility.
- pathological changes in fallopian tubes, which leads to their obstruction, the risk of ectopic pregnancy, infertility;
- in the propagation of infection to the cervix there is a “looseness” that may trigger premature labor;
- spontaneous abortions in the early stages, fading pregnancy (regressing pregnancy);
- known cases of endometritis (inflammation of uterus) after cesarean section.
Women are more concerned about what threat Ureaplasma parvum during pregnancy for the baby. Often, the presence of Ureaplasma in the vagina does not affect fetal development. The problem starts when the infection spreads to the uterus. Intrauterine infection can lead to infection of the fetus and the development of serious health problems. During delivery, the baby inevitably gets the infection.
Some of the pathology of newborns who have been associated with ureaplasmosis:
- After infection of the placenta slows fetal development. In the early stages it threatens to stop development (“frozen” pregnancy), the later — the birth of a premature baby. Children are born with low body weight.
- During labor, the passage through the infected birth canal, depending on the authority receiving the infection can cause newborn pneumonia, eye disease, genitourinary areas.
- In rare cases, when the child’s body is weakened, developing meningitis.
Therefore the question — whether the threat Ureaplasma, there is no single answer. The danger is higher, the weaker the body, and for a child the risk is greater than for the mother.
Diagnosis and treatment
To identify and treat infection safer at the planning stage of pregnancy. Between the end of treatment and conception should take 2 — 3 months. In this case, neither the consequences of a ureaplasmosis or the meds will not affect the baby and will not harm him.
Mandatory for diagnosis of Ureaplasma parvum prescribed for such categories of women:
- after treatment of sexually transmitted infections if you are planning a pregnancy;
- if it is impossible to conceive for unknown reasons;
- if there was a missed abortion, miscarriage, premature birth;
- frequent change of partners or unprotected intercourse.
The method of study prescribed by a doctor. PCR detects only the presence of microorganisms of a certain strain, and their number, and response to antibiotic test bacterial culture. A positive result of PCR is a reason to do a more accurate diagnosis and to know the exact concentration of mikrorganizmy.
Just to detect Ureaplasma is not enough for diagnosis, it is necessary to identify the quantity. Only exceeding a certain threshold, the presence of symptoms and laboratory data on the presence of inflammation are indications for treatment. This threshold is considered to be an indicator of Ureaplasma during pregnancy in 4 of the 10 degree CFU/ml.
For the treatment of Ureaplasma infection during pregnancy usually prescribed Josamycin. The course of therapy is 10 days. Dosage determined by a doctor. If you have a mixed infection may additionally be appointed candles and vaginal tablets with antibiotics and antifungal drugs. Folk remedy to Ureaplasma infection is not effective and do not protect the baby from possible infection.
To treat Ureaplasma in pregnancy does not begin before all the organs and systems of the fetus are formed (in the 2nd trimester). In the selection of drugs, the establishment of the scheme and duration of treatment take into account all the complications and risks, as for the treatment are antibiotics. It is important not only to heal the woman, but not to hurt the baby.
Ureaplasma during pregnancy 10 in 4 degrees does not always lead to treatment. Do I need to treat is weighed against the possible complications for mother and fetus. When detecting multiple infections start treatment with more aggressive tactics. So, if Ureaplasma in women is accompanied by thrush, then applying to treat pimafucin often get recovery from both diseases. Each case requires different approach and different antibiotics.
- Time revealed ureaplasmosis cured by modern methods without harm for the mother and child.
- If the decision is about medical treatment, must adhere strictly to the appointments, not to cancel the drugs illegally, to pass the prescribed examination.
- Deviation and pathology are observed mainly in women with lowered immunity, anemia, complications and abortions in the past. A healthy, strong body able to hold the microorganisms are in safe numbers.
Ureaplasma detected during pregnancy should not cause panic among expectant mothers. Such test results should be discussed with the doctor, and the decision to accept only with his participation.