Why constipation in women
Under constipation (constipation) imply systematically observed obstructed defecation. Incomplete emptying of the bowel may be temporary or chronic process, if the rhythm disturbance and the frequency of stools see at least 3 months. To answer the question of why the constipation in women appear at some point, you need to analyze the factors causing this phenomenon.
Slow kaloizverzhenie or his temporary absence is not considered as an independent disease, but merely a symptom of disorders of the digestive, endocrine and nervous systems. The establishment of the true causes of constipation determines the further tactics of treatment and prevention of insufficient defecation.
Causes of constipation
Which is already hard bowel movements throughout life to see 50% women. Risk of constipation increases with age. After 50 years, every third woman has problems with bowel movements. The influence of factors internal and external environment provokes the slowing down intestinal peristalsis, thereby increasing the risk of systemic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including cancer of the character.
Constipation often affects women than men. Feeling a lack kaloizverzheniya more likely to know those women who exhaust themselves with strict diets, irrational drugs, lead a sedentary lifestyle.
Violation of stool frequency can be of two types:
- Acute – developing over 1 – 3 days due to bed rest, injury, or side effect of certain medications. Such as dismissive with the disappearance of a provoking factor.
- Chronic – occurring as a result of chronic inflammation in the digestive organs, a developing cancer, a sedentary lifestyle. In the form of chronic constipation in women irregularity of defecation observed up to 6 months or more. The acts of defecation becomes painful, a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowel is present constantly.
Factors that have the appearance of constipation, consider the following:
- intrauterine developmental abnormalities of the intestines;
- injury of the anus and colon as a result of ongoing manipulations;
- frequent cleansing of the bowel using an enema;
- intestinal dysbiosis caused by viral and bacterial infections,
- diseases of the digestive, endocrine, nervous system;
- the presence of inflammatory processes in the intestine;
- tumors of the intestine.
- unbalanced diet (strict diet, absence of dietary fiber, an abundance of sweet and pastry dishes, chocolate, caffeine);
- insufficient drinking regime;
- weak bowel motility as a result of a sedentary lifestyle;
- factor of production (profession, requiring a long stay in a sitting position);
- stress factor;
- hormonal disorders during pregnancy and menopause;
- irrational use of drugs, including laxatives, hormonal means.
Despite the reasons for emergence of constipation in women for any indication of irregularity of defecation requires diagnostic examination of the body to be as aware, why is there a pathology.
Depending on the reasons contributing to constipation, it klassificeret for the following types:
- protogenia – is the result of the presence of hemorrhoids;
- endocrine – develops in diseases of the endocrine system: diabetes, hypothyroidism;
- gemodinamicheski – its appearance is connected with insufficient activity and inactivity;
- drug – can occur when the irrational use of drugs: antibacterial, laxative, hormonal;
- mechanical – develops as a result of injury to the anus and the rectal mucosa, which contributes to the deterrence of stool to prevent pain.
Cause of constipation may be various diseases of the digestive tract, and cancers. To determine the exact cause of constipation should consult a doctor.
Diagnosis of constipation
Constipation is not only a health issue but also an aesthetic factor that hinders the social activity of women at any age. To determine the nature of the pathological process is the physical methods of medical diagnostics.
These include the following methods of determination:
- Percussion – the process of tapping certain parts of the body with the subsequent analysis of the listened sounds. This diagnostic method allows to estimate functional characteristic of the intestine, the degree of swelling and also a common condition of the digestive system.
- Palpation of the anus area – a study to identify cracks anus, hemorrhoids, bleeding, the presence of tumors, including cancer of the character. With the help of palpation the doctor determines the tone of the anal sphincter and the elasticity of the rectum.
Laboratory diagnostic methods include the following processes:
- General analysis of blood;
- biochemical blood analysis (including determination of endogenous enzymes from the group of transferases and transminase to examine the functioning of the cardiac muscle and liver; the determination of the level of alkaline phosphatase for the assessment of the exchange nucleides, alkaloids and proteins);
- coprogram analysis, allowing to determine the digestible ability of the gastrointestinal tract;
- the analysis of a feces on a dysbacteriosis;
- samples of feces for occult blood to detect bleeding in the digestive tract.
To instrumental methods of the study include:
- a colonoscopy is a method of endoscopic diagnosis, allowing to assess the condition of the inner surface of the intestine to detect polyps, ulcers with biopsy;
- sigmoidoscopy – the endoscopic examination of the rectum;
- diagnosis anorectal area to assess the tone and contraction of the muscles of the anus;
- a study of motor-evacuation function of the gastrointestinal tract (the movement of food through the digestive tract, its processing enzymes released).
The symptoms of constipation
Boundary the normal parameters include the number of daily bowel movements 1 to 3 times. The chair observed through day, is also considered a sign of normal. A signal to indicate a developing pathology, believe defecation 2 or 3 times a week.
World Association of gastroenterology identifies the following criteria for constipation:
- rare bowel movements (less than 3 times per week);
- the need of intensive straining effort during defecation;
- lumpy or hard stools;
- feeling residual presence of stool;
- the feeling of a block in the anus;
- shortness the passage of fecal masses is the desire to manipulate in the anus.
The presence of at least two symptoms in four bowel movements and often speaks on the occurrence of constipation.
Additional symptoms of constipation:
- pain with bowel movements;
- a feeling of heaviness in the pelvis;
- painful bloating;
- lack of appetite;
- phenomenon of dyspepsia: nausea, stomach heaviness, heartburn, rumbling;
- unpleasant taste in the mouth and breath;
- deterioration of the General condition: lethargy, apathy.
These signs are a signal for immediate treatment for qualified help in medical institution. In the presence of constipation may need the advice of specialists such as a proctologist, gastroenterologist, endocrinologist and others. After a set of diagnostic procedures, the attending physician will explain to the patient why there was such a phenomenon.
Treatment of constipation involves the use of chemical and physical manipulations aimed at restoration of disturbed peristalsis and microbial landscape of the intestine:
- Correction of the diet is a defining moment in the treatment of constipation. Diet provides foods that promote soft bowel movements. Dietary fiber contained in foods of plant origin, increase stool bulk, stimulates peristalsis. If constipation is recommended to take the products composed of substances resistant to the action of gastric and intestinal juice: cellulose, polysaccharides, lignin, pectin.
- Abundant drinking regime – at least a significant factor in the elimination of constipation. Water intake at least 1.5−2 liters per day is important when there is a systemic endocrine and cardiovascular diseases. Stay in the regions with hot climates also require the use of sufficient fluids to prevent dehydration. Strict correction of the daily dose of consumed liquid must be agreed with your doctor if you have swelling, dysfunction of urination.
The constant attempts at defecation can cause abortion in women who are at risk.
Preventive measures to prevent the occurrence of constipation, the transition of the disease into a chronic form, with frequent recurrences, the following:
- a balanced diet that includes the consumption of fiber (brown bread or bran, vegetables, fresh and dried fruits, coarse grains, dairy products, kvass, and poultry);
- limit consumption of sweets, white bread, coffee, tea;
- abundant drinking regime, corrected by the attending physician, the use of warm mineral water (Borjomi, Essentuki, Mirgorod);
- active lifestyle (fitness, yoga, aerobics, pool);
- regular morning exercise;
- the evacuation is preferably carried out at the same time, which contributes to the development of a conditioned reflex;
- prompt treatment of systemic diseases digestive, endocrine, cardiovascular, nervous system;
- eliminate stressful situations.
Timely diagnosis of constipation with the use of modern laboratory and instrumental methods of research, professional approach, comprehensive therapy will eliminate the disease of intestines and other organs of the digestive system, to minimize the risk of cancer.