Hearing loss in children — symptoms and treatment of deafness in children
How to identify and treat hearing loss in a child?
In medical practice, hearing loss is defined as a painful condition associated with a reduction in auditory activity and difficulties with perception of sounds. Most often, hearing loss is common among older people, but can be diagnosed also in children, including newborns.
Causes of deafness can be different. In order for treatment to be effective, you must correctly establish the cause of the disease.
The types and degrees of hearing loss
Depending on the disease there are 4 degrees of difficulty:
- Hearing loss of 1 degree. In General, the child hears well. The problem with the perception of sounds emerge in the crowd, with severe noise and operating technique. Uttered the words sound quiet. The baby does not perceive the speech of a stranger.
- Hearing loss of 2 degrees a child is diagnosed in situations when the kid can not hear the words spoken by a familiar voice in almost absolute silence. Hearing problems occur when you try to hear the words spoken softly or with a medium volume.
- The relative deafness of 3 degrees, the achievement of which it makes sense to talk about the serious problems with hearing. The child does not hear most of the words that are spoken with normal intonation and volume.
- Hearing loss of 4 degrees — the hardest. The patient is well able to distinguish only loudly spoken words, and the source of the sound should be placed as close as possible. Otherwise he won’t hear anything. This degree is preceded by a full hearing, because in urgent need of diagnosis and treatment.
Depending on what caused the hearing loss, there are following types of this disease:
- Conductive hearing loss occurs as a result of existing pathologies of the auditory organ, and is associated with impaired ability to conduction of sounds.
- Sensorineural hearing loss appears in children as a result of damage to the nerve cells in the inner ear and hearing center and auditory nerve. As a result, the child lost the ability to perceive sounds. The surrounding world ceases to exist for him that is easy to understand the lack of response to sound stimuli.
- A mixed hearing loss. Rare. Patients violated both functions. The hearing aid loses its ability to conduction of sounds and their perception.
Important! Timely determination of the degree and type of hearing loss allows you to choose the appropriate treatment and prevent further negative development of disease.
Hearing loss can not be called rare. Experts identify the following causes of hearing loss in children:
- Pathological development of pregnancy. Morning sickness, nephropathy, anemia, preeclampsia and other diseases that occur in pregnant women can disrupt the normal development of the child’s body, including the part that is responsible for hearing.
- Diseases transferred a pregnant woman. Cause of hearing loss in a child may be even the common cold, because a pregnant woman should avoid anything that may negatively affect the fetus.
- Complications in childbirth. Pregnancy can occur without apparent complications, but this does not mean that the child is really in no danger. The most important and dangerous are the birth. Any errors and pathology that occur during childbirth, can cause violations in the field of hearing AIDS.
- Diseases migrated at a young age. Otitis media, parotitis, measles, rubella and herpes for adults are not particularly dangerous, but can cause the development of serious abnormalities in babies.
Hearing loss in a newborn is not easy to recognize. In this regard, the kids are thoroughly diagnosed for a further period of stay in the maternity ward. This diagnosis is very important, because young mothers don’t have to protest against the numerous surveys of newborns.
The first alarming symptom is the child’s lack of response to parent voice. This reaction is available to all children, regardless of age. The voice of mom and dad know, even newborn babies because if the child does not respond to sounds, it should be urgently seen by a specialist.
The alarm should be tested even if the child does not hear whispers, and sounds of moderate volume. In the case when the disease has reached the last degree of severity, children cease to react to falling objects, street noise, car horns and other sufficiently loud sounds.
To ignore such a reaction in any case should not be. Children who experience difficulty with auditory perception of the world, have difficulty with learning to read and write. Possible speech disorders and problems remembering new words and sounds.
Help! If we are talking about a sensorineural type of disease, signs of hearing loss, the child should be sought in disorders of coordination and dizziness.
These symptoms can occur immediately and not all children with hearing loss, so in the first months of life the baby young parents should pay attention to the issue of the possible development of this disease a high priority.
Not able to say the baby is not able to tell anyone about disturbing problems, but an experienced physician can detect their presence, barely a child will be born. In this regard, it is recommended not to miss a single examination, the pediatrician. Hearing loss in a child whose symptoms are not noticed by the parents can cause a lot of trouble.
Diagnosis of hearing loss in children doing multiple specialists — neonatologist, audiologist, otoneurology, hearing care professional, otolaryngologist, and pediatrician.
Increased attention from parents and doctors should be given to the examination of children, classified as so-called risk group. These include kids with hereditary diseases in this area and children experiencing difficulties in the birth process.
Help. For testing hearing in newborns using a loud voice, rattles, tweeters and any object that emits loud noises. Well hearing babies react to sound by dilated pupils, a wink and crying, the sick — only to movement, but not sound.
Starting at 4 months, babies don’t just hear sounds, but also try to find their source. In the absence of responses to sounds infants examined for the presence of abnormalities in the structure of the tympanic membrane and external ear, an otoscopy.
Examination of preschool children is made using the gaming audiometry, students are surveyed with the use of speech and pure tone threshold audiometry. Also produced cameronsino hearing examination.
Produced by objective audiological diagnostics assumes as the main methods of use:
- check the main caused by auditory potentials;
- autoacoustics issue.
To identify the location of pathology is electrocochleography.
The efficacy of treatment of hearing loss depends on the degree and type of disease. Used in the treatment of physiotherapy medical, surgical and functional treatment.
If hearing loss is not related to the pathology, the problem is eliminated the usual cleansing of the ears for cerumen, or by removing trapped in the ear foreign object. Sensorineural hearing loss in children requires a comprehensive treatment.
Attention! If the child revealed pathology in the structure of the tympanic membrane and auditory ossicles, without surgery can not do.
Recovery of hearing functions medication that affect cerebral hemodynamics and blood flow to the inner ear. If the cause of the disease is infection patients are prescribed antibiotics.
Hearing loss in children, treatment which has been too slow, or ineffectual, it becomes the reason for the installation of auditory prostheses.
In some cases, the therapeutic effect can be achieved with:
- regular massage of the tympanic membrane;
- magnetic therapy;
- the use of electrophoresis and phonophoresis.
Treatment of sensorineural hearing loss
Sensorineural hearing loss in children, treatment which takes time, is a serious disease. Treated it with great difficulty and is often limited to the setting of the hearing prosthesis.
Little patients are encouraged to regularly use a hearing aid. The possibility of using such occurs the child reaches the age of one month.
Help. In situations where the hearing loss leads to complete hearing loss, children are taught sign language.
To prevent hearing loss of 1 degree of the child almost impossible. The only thing that remains is attentive to their own health during pregnancy, time pass all the tests, follow the doctor’s recommendations.
Deafness in children can occur as a result of the exposure at the eardrum sounds high pitched because similar to be aware of.
Hearing loss in children is not a sentence. The disease may be temporary. Often the children grow up, and hearing is restored independently, but not excluded cases when the treatment takes several months and even years.
Through the use of modern methods of treatment and diagnosis, the disease is not considered life-threatening and normal socialization of the child in society. But do not forget that the risk of hearing loss in newborns always remains.