How and what to properly wash the nose of an infant: a saline irrigation solution
How to wash the nose of a newborn?
Is it possible to wash the nose of the baby and how to carry out this procedure at home? This question is relevant to most moms. The thing is that the child’s body is extremely susceptible to viruses and bacteria.
If the baby had problems breathing, this does not mean that the parents for not caring. Just, when faced with pathogens, the child’s body instantly gives reaction. As a result, the baby appears cold and nasal congestion.
Can I wash the baby’s nose?
How and what to properly wash the nose of an infant is to ask the pediatrician. But if you go to the doctor is not possible, we can try to solve the problem.
When it’s time to rinse baby:
- If you are having trouble breathing (that is, the child snores, snorts, or simply bad breathing).
- In that case, if there were secretions of the nose of mucous or other nature.
- When the baby is not sleeping well, cranky and refuses bottle or breast.
- If the nose of the child formed a crust (dried mucus, which prevents the baby to breathe).
Attention! If the baby is snoring or snorting during sleep, you should pay attention to it and take appropriate action.
The appearance of the nasal discharge in infants is difficult to count the rate, for this reason, it is necessary to proceed with the hygiene procedures. Start to wash the baby’s nose to banal rhinitis did not cause pneumonia or pulmonary edema.
- Stuffy nose is irritating the child, it starts to act up. At night the baby cries, the day is bad and cries a lot.
- Clots of mucus in the sinuses is one of the main symptoms of nasal congestion and runny nose.
All this worrying symptoms should alert the mother. It should immediately begin carrying out hygienic procedures, as the delay may result in severe consequences for the health of the child.
The problem is in the fact that the kid constantly lies and slime «numb» him right in the lungs. Occurs a favorable environment for the growth and reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms.
Constantly in the mucus, the lungs are not fully disclosed, there are problems with breathing, a cough, followed by swelling.
To avoid such consequences is to learn how to care for the child.
Instructions for washing
All the nuances of the procedure:
- To rinse the baby in the home is not so difficult. If breathing problems have arisen as a result of clots of mucus, it is recommended to pre-soak with moisturizing drops. Then remove using a moistened in oil flagella made of cotton. You can simply wet in vaseline oil on a q-tip and after using drops to clear passages of dried mucus.
- If «scabs» in the nose, but there are thick mucus, after it is removed. You can use for this purpose a pear or a special device that is sold in the pharmacy. After the mucus is removed, the sinus washed with a special solution.
Important. If the rhinitis does not pass, you can eliminate its unpleasant symptoms by using a vasoconstrictor drops. But their use is recommended with caution.
To wash the nose of the baby is in a certain pattern:
- the head of the baby is tilted back slightly holding the back of the head;
- if you want to rinse the right nostril, then the baby’s head tilted slightly to the left;
- if washed the left nostril, then the baby’s head is tilted to the right side.
- should follow then, that the excess liquid does not hit the child’s ears. This can lead to the development of otitis media.
Than you can wash the sock baby: list of drugs
Often use saline solution for nasal lavage the baby in the cold. You can apply and other drugs made from sea water:
- Aqua Maris.
- Aqua ENT.
To prepare a solution you can own. To do this, pour into Cup a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of baking soda, the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, then the mixture pour boiled water.
When the soda and salt dissolve, and the solution cools down you can bury it in the baby’s nose with a pipette.
After rinsing it is important to soften the mucous. This can be done using drops of essential oils.
It is recommended to use mineral oil, it is well absorbed and does no harm. To buy mineral oil at the pharmacy, it is inexpensive. Instead of paraffin oil you can use olive, it is well absorbed.
Decongestants: pros and cons
In addition to the solutions for washing, apply vasoconstrictor drops, there is a class of drugs that can be used to treat infants.
|Nazol Bebi||The drug is available in the form of drops, it can be used for the treatment of children at the age of 0 years, i.e. practically from birth. Active substance: phenylephrine, manufacturer country USA.|
|Nazivin at a concentration of 0.01%||Available in the form of drops after instillation of the effect of the use occurs within 10-15 minutes. Operates the medicine for about 6 hours. Main active ingredient: Oxymetazoline. Manufacturer country of Germany.
|Otrivin Baby||The drug is available in the form of drops, manufacturer country Switzerland. Active substance: Xylometazoline.
All medicines designed for the treatment of infants, are marked with the «Baby». They have a number of contraindications, possible use of drugs should be agreed with your doctor.
To use such medications for a long period of time is not necessary, because the risk of development of drug addiction.
In some cases, you should not use vasoconstrictor drops:
- In the presence of infants in the nose of the large accumulation of mucous secretions. Previously the mucus is clear and then proceed to the instillation.
- If the nose «crust» (dried mucous discharge). The «crust» is removed with solutions or drops based on marine water. And after moving to the use of vasoconstrictor drugs.
- In the presence of purulent nasal discharge in a child. In this case, the use of vasoconstrictor drops will not bring any result. Since the appearance of pus is the first symptom of infectious rhinitis.
Help. If a baby’s stuffy nose, there occurs a discharge of a purulent character, fever, is as soon as possible to go to the doctor.
To have a baby should not have any problems breathing (or they came as seldom as possible), it is necessary to regularly clean his nose.
So, the basic rules of prevention:
- Is after a walk or taking a bath to clean the nose of infants from the mud and slime.
- Rinse the sinuses with salt solution every day or at least 1 every 2 days.
- To arrange bathing with essential oils (eucalyptus oil, lavender, fir).
Adding a warm bath a few drops of essential oil to achieve good result. Aromatherapy differs a minimum of contraindications and noticeable performance.
Runny nose in infants is always a concern and it’s not just that the kid is naughty and cries a lot. The main cause for concern is the possible complications that can lead a normal stuffy nose.