How often to clean the ears of the man — tips ENT doctors
How often to clean the ears, and what happens if this is not done?
The question of hygiene of the ears for most people, as it may seem, initially, is not: almost every child heard from an adult scary stories about what will happen, if not to clean the ears. As the arguments of the cited problems both aesthetic and medical spectrum: from the «ugliness» and «navigational» to «hearing loss» and «cerumen».
In particular, we often hear recommendations about how often to clean the ears of the person is many recommended to carry out this procedure several times a week. However, such recommendations are unjustified, they are likely to harm healthy organ of hearing. That is why every person needs to understand the issue once and for all, to avoid numerous dental diseases that can be caused by improper hygiene of the ears.
The nature of the hearing
Modern numerous studies prove a healthy inner and middle ear generally do not need special cleaning, which typically used cotton swabs and special hygiene products.
The only exception is the outer part of our hearing and the beginning of the auditory canal and the auricle. The fact that the human ears and many other organs, is endowed with the ability to self-clean.
This means that the procedure of penetration of the cotton buds deep into the ear canal is not provided by nature, but only imposed on a person in the marketing strategies of the companies-manufacturers of means on care of ears.
The output accumulates in the ear passage, sulphur, and peeling of the epithelium that occurs as a result of the usual human activities: showering and bathing, companionship, feeding and other processes involving the movement of the lower jaw.
When in the body and, in particular, the hearing fails, the sulfur in the ears can be produced in larger quantities, but may even cease to be produced. However, in the latter case, rejoice not necessary, because earwax is:
- natural antimicrobial agent, through which the ears prevents the reproduction of active pathogens;
- moisturizer, thanks to which the organs of hearing are functioning correctly, not distorting the perceived aurally data (volume, clarity);
- a means of self-purification, because with gray while swimming or movement of the jaw from the ear canal displays all superfluous dead skin cells, trapped with the wind flow, dust, and other foreign objects.
Important! Under normal conditions, earwax is produced in an amount which does not cause discomfort to the owner’s ears: do not spoil the appearance and not hinder the work of the organs of hearing.
It is because sulfur is an integral part of the ear of the authorities, her aggressive extraction from the ear canal is undesirable.
First, due to the use of cleaner and cotton swabs and the stimulation of the sebaceous glands that produce sulfur: acting according to the rule of the «reverse», the sebaceous glands begin to produce more intense sulfur.
Secondly, if due to increased production of sulphur is not possible, then the ear canal is exposed to ailments like allergies, itching, dryness.
If intensive cleaning of the ears suddenly stops, produced by the enhanced intensity of earwax can turn into a «headache», because the inevitable waxy build-up that can impair hearing.
To avoid all these problems every conscious citizen needs to know how much time you need to clean the ears, how to do it right and — most importantly — how not to hurt his own ears.
How often should you clean your ears?
The complexity of the question of how frequently to clean the ears, lies in the individual approach. Person must independently analyze the situation with their ears, selecting the optimal scheme for hygiene.
If sulfur is produced very much, you should think about visiting a qualified otolaryngologist, and if this substance is absolutely not a nuisance, the question must be «to give up» natural cleansing.
Of course, from ear cleaning to give fully impossible. If people can not refuse your favorite cotton swabs, the number of cleaning procedures need «to dose»: more than once a week.
It is important to understand that these rods do not attempt to penetrate into the inner part of the hearing, because it is fraught with mechanical injuries like injury to the skin of the auditory canal or even rupture of the tympanic membrane.
The best option of cleaning sticks is the study of the outer ear. Experts strongly do not recommend to introduce such a stick in the ear canal deeper than 0.3-0.5 cm, and also not to use physical effort to clean the ear canal.
In the selection scheme cleaning ears adults should remember the Golden rule: sulfur must be present in the ear passage, it is a protective and lubricating component.
Not to extremes, is cleaning out the ear canal, because in this case it loses the natural protection. So, for people who are independently able to take care of the cleanliness of your hearing, it is recommended that:
- To clean the ears every time while taking bath or shower. You can use a clean damp cloth and your own hands. It is necessary to wash ears with soap and water, to work with your fingers or with a cloth ear. To clean the ear canal can be a circular motion of index fingers, but only as they enter into the ear canal to try to push them as far as possible prohibited;
- Every one to two weeks to work out the ear canal with a cotton swab. Usually those who are engaged in cleaning the ears during water treatment, it is not required. If sulfur is produced intensively, for objective reasons, it is sometimes possible to conduct a «test cleaning» sticks, but so as not to penetrate deep into the ear canal.
Important! Detergent (soap or shampoo) should not cause feelings of dryness, discomfort, flaking skin. In this case, the ears may be allergic, which is a fertile soil for the development of ENT diseases.
For small children, which alone your ears to take care of because of objective reasons can not cleaning make the parents.
Grave mistake is to use all of the same cotton swabs. And pediatricians, and otolaryngologists call from such ideas to be abandoned in favor of a more gentle method:
- Turundy with sterile oil. Stick you can gently work through only the outer part of the ear, whereas in the ear canal it is necessary to introduce extremely thin cotton swabs. To reassure moms and dads can gently moistened turundas in pure vegetable oil;
- Turundy with peroxide. Children’s ears need a more thorough cleaning, you can sometimes (not more often several times a month) clean with 3% peroxide solution. For this turunda moistened with peroxide, and then is introduced into the ear canal of 0.3-0.5 cm. After cleaning the excess moisture eliminated dry pellet.
Important! When cleaning the ears tips, it is important to note that for each ear requires a separate turunda.
In addition, people often use the rule «the less you touch children’s ears so they are healthier,» which has some meaning. With abundant cleansing can bring-to-child infection, which can develop any kind of otitis of the ear.
The consequences of not cleaning
What if the ears are not cleaned at all? It is easy to guess that in the absence of hormonal or other failures, most likely, nothing dangerous, except unkempt appearance, our hearing does not get it.
To maintain cleanliness of the ear for an attractive appearance in the modern world still follows. If sulfur is produced intensively, that person threatens the formation of cerumen.
Any serious consequences apart from the aesthetic, the lack of clean promises. European and American otolaryngologists is recommended to eliminate the cause of the increased production of sulfur, and not fight with the gray.
Thus, to clean the ears should be regularly, but in their natural conditions while swimming and without the use of special devices. Excessive cleaning weakens the protection from external irritants that can cause infectious ailments.