Hypertrophy of turbinates: treatment, removal, surgery
How to treat hypertrophy of the turbinates?
What does hypertrophy of the inferior turbinates? To understand this question, let’s start with the fact that represent themselves turbinate. There are a total of three couples: the lower, middle and upper. They are bony outgrowths and placed on the lateral wall of the nasal cavity. Sinks are designed to direct and regulate the flow of air in the nasal passages. In this case the mucous membrane should be healthy and well developed. The main role in this process belongs to the lower basins.
Under the influence of various ailments, including symptoms of allergic nature of the disease of viral etiology, can begin to develop deformation processes, resulting in the formation of the asymmetry of the turbinates of the nose and mucous membranes. This anomaly may develop after injury and mechanical damage. In medical terminology, the disease received the name condobolin hypertrophy or the turbinates of the nose. In this article we’ll look at the causes, symptoms and treatment of hypertrophy of the turbinates.
The causes of hypertrophy
Hypertrophy of the turbinates of the nose is a pathological process, accompanied by the gradual widening and thickening of the nasal mucosa. In the result, the patient suffers respiratory failure.
Strain changes are accompanied by accelerated release of secretory fluid and mucus. Hypertrophy of the nasal mucosa, the inner surface becomes uneven and loses its uniformity.
Among the main causes of hypertrophy of the turbinates of the nose are:
- Rhinitis allergic nature. The most common reason for the development Congolese the turbinates of the nose. Inflammatory reaction resulting from exposure to allergens on the nasal membrane, leads to the appearance of edema. The result is a temporary hypertrophy.
- The chronic inflammatory process, leading to asymmetry of the nasal passages, causes a disruption in the passage of air. The result is increased pressure on the nasal mucosa, which leads to proliferation of epithelial tissue.
- The deviated septum. The deformation of the plate prevents the passage of air in one part of the nose and creates an increased load on the second unit. Violation of the structure of the organ of respiration leads to inhomogeneous growth and thickening of the mucosa. Over time, the breathing of such patients is more difficult.
Often, hypertrophy of the turbinates becomes a consequence of the long not prescribed by a doctor use of vasoconstrictor drugs.
In addition to the above reasons for the occurrence of hypertrophy may be due to the poor condition of human health and a number of external negative factors, among which are:
- harmful working conditions;
- the effects of hormonal methods.
Types of hypertrophy
The most vulnerable areas in the development Congolese are back of the lower shell and the front end is average. This is due to the peculiarities of the anatomical structure of the nasal passages which provide the passage of air. It is in these places often occur hypertrophic processes.
At the moment there may be 2 kind of pathology of the turbinates:
- Hypertrophy of the rear ends of the lower turbinates often is developed on the background of chronic rhinitis. On examination, the presence of polosnyj formations that can block the lumen in the inner part of the nose. In this scenario, there are multilateral development of hypertrophy. The pathology is characterized by lack of symmetry.
- Concaballos the front ends of the middle turbinates, the most rare pathology. The disease occurs on the background of the development of the inflammatory process in the sinus of the nose.
Signs and diagnosis of pathology
Treatment of hypertrophy of the turbinates is performed only after a quality diagnosis. Equally important is the survey and examination of patients.
Pronounced manifestations indicating the development of pathological changes are:
- difficulty breathing through the nose, which can be observed in the inhalations and exhalations;
- the appearance of the nasal in voice;
- the feeling of a foreign body in the nasopharyngeal region;
- abundant mucus from the sinuses;
- ringing in the ears;
- the reduction of olfactory sensations.
The symptoms of hypertrophy of the turbinates is very similar to the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
In addition to the analysis of the main symptoms before diagnosis is performed rhinoscopy. The examination allows to determine the degree of hypertrophy of the turbinates and changes in the mucous membrane. In the photo below you can see rhinoscopies picture of a patient with hypertrophy of the inferior turbinates.
Treatment of hypertrophy of the turbinates
Removal of hypertrophy of the turbinates – a matter exclusively of specialists. Treatment should appoint a doctor based on the results of the study, causal factors and the General condition of the patient.
It should be noted that drug therapy in most cases is powerless. Treatment with drugs, though, and helps cope with symptoms of hypertrophy, but virtually no effect on the underlying cause. That is why pathology is treated primarily by surgery.
There are several methods of surgical intervention:
- Turbinotomy. Manipulation involves the removal of the overgrown area of the mucous membrane of the nasal passage. Partial removal of the shell in the nose occurs through the use of a loop of wire. Accrued excess fabric is cut, eliminating harm to the bones.
- Galvanocaustic method based on the input in the nasal cavity of the heated electrode, which is held along the mucosa. The essence of the process is that the mucosa is at first grows even more, after which the damaged tissue dies. After healing in the nasal cavity, the scar is formed, which is subsequently rejected. If the operation was successful, then nasal breathing is restored.
- Resection of the nasal plates, which is carried out if necessary, elimination of bone or cartilage.
- Septoplasty — surgical correction of the nasal septum with the aim of eliminating its curvature.
- Removal of hypertrophy by using high-frequency ultrasound. With this manipulation removes excess tricky fabric. Before the procedure is mandatory endoscopic and x-ray examination. This operation is bloodless, which prevents damage to the mucosa and the formation of crusts. After ultrasonic treatment decreases the swelling and the breathing process is reversed.
In the case of a successful operation as the breathing is restored, and correctly matched medication during the rehabilitation period prevents the development of complications. In most cases, hypertrophy of the turbinates is temporary and is reversible.
With regard to folk treatment methods, they can only be used as additional measures. Not recommended similar therapy on their own without specialist advice.