Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose: how to treat the symptoms
How to treat inflammation of the nasal mucosa?
Inflammatory processes in the nasal mucosa, more commonly known as runny nose (rhinitis), can provoke as infectious, allergic agents, and to occur under pressure psychosomatic factors. The symptoms and treatment of inflammation of the nasal mucosa may vary slightly, depending on the nature of its origin.
Well-known signs of inflammation in the increased discharge of nasal mucus, sneezing, nasal congestion for the majority of patients pose no threat. Frivolous attitude to this issue provokes self-medication, which can lead to pathological processes in ENT organs (sinusitis, furunculosis, eczema, etc.).
Causes of rhinitis are varied and timely diagnosis allows to identify effective treatment strategies.
In otolaryngology rhinitis differentialsa on the characteristic inherent in each type of symptoms:
- Infectious. The development of the inflammatory process is preceded by contact with viral, bacterial agents, microorganisms of the genus Candida, Mycoplasma. The infectious process is accompanied by weakness and chills, abundant production aconselho secretion, hyperthermia (temperature over 37 C), shortness of nasal breathing, pain, a burning sensation in your olfactory organ. The nature of the nasal discharge is determined by the etiology of the common cold: the activity of viruses evidenced by the mucus a whitish, transparent color, on the accession of the bacteria signal the snot yellow-green hue.
- Vasomotor. Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose without a cold accompanied by nasal congestion mainly in the morning, the mucus watery consistency, sneezing indicates the development of vasomotor rhinitis. A distinctive feature of this rhinitis are sudden, paroxysmal symptoms.
- Allergic. Nasal mucosa is inflamed and testifies to allergic reactions with occasional secretions of mucus miconazole abundant nature, nasal congestion, frequent sneezing and itching in the nose. The rhinitis is seasonal (spring and summer), relapses are accompanied by more pronounced symptoms, in remission – symptomatic picture is normal.
At the initial stage of inflammation, rhinitis occurs in an acute form. At untimely, inadequate treatment of acute form can migrate into a chronic.
Overall, acute and chronic forms have similar characteristics, the only difference is a less obvious manifestation of symptoms in chronic rhinitis, but in the long time. While the acute form of the common cold involves a more active reaction to the pathogen.
For reference! The cycle of the acute form of rhinitis lasts 7-10 days, undergoing three phase changes of the mucosa. Timely treatment can stop the disease within 3-5 days.
Red nasal mucosa in a child with a severe nasal congestion, watery eyes, abundant production of nasal mucus, sometimes bleeding from the nose may indicate traumatic rhinitis (penetration of a foreign body in the nose, rough hygiene/medical manipulation).
In adults precipitating factors is the production of harmful conditions – couples of various chemicals, metal microparticles, etc.
With inflammation of the nasal mucosa is often faced by pregnant women, due to hormonal changes in the body. Rhinitis pregnant peculiar to the ambiguous clinical picture, the main symptom is a long – term nasal congestion, which can last until the onset of labor.
Among the concomitant symptoms experts identify the formation of crusts in the nose, sneezing, dryness, itching sensation. Nasal discharge may be absent altogether.
Important! Haphazard use of vasoconstricting drugs contributes to the development of medical rhinitis.
How to treat inflammation of the nasal mucosa
Each individual form of rhinitis implies a specific treatment strategy, which selects the physician based on the diagnostic data and patient history.
Conservative medicine emphasizes General therapeutic interventions:
- Irrigation treatment at home by using sprays to rinse the nasal passages. The most common are pharmacological solutions ready «Akvamaris», «Aqualor», «Humer», «Dolphin». Daily lavage of the nose promotes hydration of the mucosa, mucus excretion, allergic, infectious agents, removal of the inflammatory process. These drugs enhance the therapeutic effect of vasoconstrictor drugs, not addictive. The duration of therapy to 30 days, with 3-4 single application per day. Alternatively pharmaprodukte you can use home-made saline solution.
- Burying the nasal passages with decongestants. This manipulation allows you to restore the drainage function of the nose, eliminating the swelling and by improving nasal breathing. Depending on the active substances, the therapeutic effect can last for 6-10 hours. By pronounced reflex vasoconstrictor and weakly antiseptic effect doctors prefer «Vibrocil», «Glycine», Nafazolina», «I», «Galazolin». The recommended daily dose – 1-2 drops of a medicinal product three times a day, lasting from 3 to 5 days. Exceeding the recommended dose and course of therapy can be addictive to existing components.
- The use of drugs that block the H1-histamine receptor. Antihistamines are a must in the treatment of allergic rhinitis, but can also be used in the treatment of infectious rhinitis due to its pharmacological properties (elimination of puffiness of the mucous). Professionals choose the antihistamine drugs of the latest generation, due to the practical absence of side effects – «Cethrin», «Zyrtec», «Telfast» and so forth. the Daily rate of the drug is calculated based on the age of the patient, sometimes from the body mass.
When the diagnosis of bacterial rhinitis is caused the need to use local antibiotics, which is represented by the «Isoroy», «Politikoi», «Bioparox». These drugs have a detrimental effect on the bacterial microflora, fungal. Duration of therapy is 5 to 7 days, with individual calculation of the daily dose.
Important! The deviation from a course of antibiotics, excess doses can cause loss of appetite, dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract, anemia, allergic reactions, nausea and vomiting.
The main reason for prescription of hormonal nasal funds («Nasonex», «lower blood pressure mother») is vasomotor, allergic rhinitis or inflammation of the mucous chronic nature.
Corticosteroids reduce inflammation, inhibit the development of allergic reactions. There are a number of contraindications, so the purpose of the drug, its dosage is only concerned with the treating specialist.
Folk remedies used for the treatment of rhinitis of different etiologies. But it is understood that in addition to the effectiveness of folk methods, there is a likelihood of hypersensitivity of the immune system, as many components are the mediators of Allergy. Hence, the following recipes before beginning treatment you should discuss with your doctor.
Leading positions in infectious rhinitis is warming up. These procedures are quite effective at the initial stage of inflammation, provided the natural body temperature. As ingredients you can use boiled egg or salt, is placed in the pouch.
Positive dynamics is observed when a hot mustard bath (steamed legs for five minutes, after the procedure to wear warm socks).
Inhalation in rhinitis are considered to be the most secure way of influencing inflammation, subject to compliance with precautions. Optimal use of special devices, nebulizer, inhaler. In the absence of these devices, you can access the old way – the steam bath.
As components for the procedure you can use the herbs (chamomile, calendula, sage, oak bark) or essential oil of tea tree, eucalyptus, thuja. To 1 liter of water, brought to a boil — 3 tablespoons of herb, allow to cool to a temperature of 50-60 degrees. When using essential oils to 1 liter of liquid 5-6 drops suspension.
Alternatively, drops pharmacy you can use the beet drops. For this purpose the juice of one root diluted in equal proportions with water. No less effective chive drop, while maintaining the need to combine products juice in equal amount after diluted with water 1:1.
Self-treatment of inflammation of the mucosa may not give positive dynamics. Access to a doctor will allow to stop the disease in the short term, by notifying the occurrence of complications. The key to the effectiveness of the therapy is accurate diagnosis of the inflammatory process.