Inflammation of the tonsils in the throat: symptoms treatment + pictures
How to treat inflammation of the tonsils in the throat
The most common infectious disease of the upper respiratory tract, is the inflammation of the tonsils. According to the observations of the world Health Organization, approximately 15% of people living on the planet, have the chronic form of the disease.
What are the functions of tonsils in the human body? What causes inflammation of the tonsils, symptoms, treatment, consider this article.
The main functions of the tonsils
It’s hard to find people who have never felt pain in the throat. Acute respiratory infections, tonsillitis, laryngitis – this is just a small list of diseases for which there is inflammation of the Palatine, pharyngeal, lingual tonsils less common. But what do these organs of the lymphatic system, very few people know.
Many years ago, treatment was performed surgically. But with the development of medicine has changed and the ways of dealing with this disease. Today there are many methods to cure the inflammation of the tonsils in the throat (you can see photos in the gallery).
The main function of lymphoid organs, protecting the body against harmful viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms. They play an important role in the formation of immune processes and be a kind of barrier that prevents the penetration of harmful microorganisms and infections inside the human body.
Surgical removal – the destruction of the protective barrier.
Tonsillitis is characterized by inflammation of the tonsils. Main symptoms:
- The increase and swelling of the lymph nodes, tonsils.
- Redness of the mucous membranes of the throat.
- Pain and discomfort when swallowing.
- Hoarseness or loss of voice.
- General malaise, accompanied by high temperature.
Frequent inflammatory processes that cause the development of chronic forms of the disease. In order for treatment to be effective, you must see a doctor, because self-medication will only complicate the disease, and provoke the occurrence of complications.
Most often disease of the tonsils, occurs in people with weakened immune defense system. It is also the cause of its appearance serve as infection in the tonsils caused by bacteria and viruses that are in the process of breathing through the mouth and nasal passages were able to enter the body.
Tonsils act as a filter in contact with viral infections in the body. These bodies absorb the main stimuli, converting them into cells white. Is inflammation of the tonsils that pushes the immune system to produce antibodies against infection. With a weak immune system, tonsils can not cope with their functions, hence the tonsillitis.
Forms of the disease
Doctors there are two forms of tonsillitis: chronic and acute.
- Acute is tonsillitis, which is characterized by inflammation of the tonsils. Rarely there are inflammatory processes in the pharyngeal and lingual. The disease causes a beta-hemolytic streptococcal infection. Rarely, it can be caused by Streptococcus and Staphylococcus aureus. The disease can be triggered by chronic rhinitis, sinusitis and tooth decay.
- Chronic – a chronic tonsillitis. Frequent inflammation of the tonsils, which is characterized by periods of exacerbation and improvement. The cause of the disease – low-grade fever that lasts for an extended period. Such processes lead to malfunction of the autonomic nervous system and can cause complications such as: rheumatoid condition; allergies; disease of lungs, heart and kidneys; decrease in immunity.
How is chronic inflammation of the tonsils, we understand. Now we have to learn how to deal with this disease.
Therapy for tonsillitis – antibiotics, rules of hygiene and patient care. Task is to eliminate the cause of the disease and help the patient to get rid of the infection.
If your family discovered an inflammation of the tonsils, the treatment at home, perhaps.
But remember, under no circumstances, do not self-medicate. This can lead to negative consequences in the future. Only a specialist will be able to put the correct diagnosis and prescribe effective medication.
Your task is to provide care and to comply with sanitary standards (separate utensils, hygiene, mask mode, etc.) to avoid contamination.
In the treatment process is important:
- to drink warm drinks (herbal teas, broth);
- to make rinse the mouth using salt solutions or a special tincture;
- more rest, since it is known that during sleep, the recovery processes of the body increase.
Recipes for mouthwash:
- 200 gr glass dial warm water, add boric acid (1 tsp).
- In 100 ml of lukewarm water, dissolve tablets furatsilina.
- In 200 ml of water to dissolve 1% solution of hydrogen peroxide and 1 tsp. of rivanol.
You can buy in a pharmacy are ready drugs: dioxidine, iodinolum, hlorofillipt.
To relieve pain in the throat, apply antiseptic preparations, which reduce inflammation and irritation. The most common means are:
- Faringosept. The drug is effective in pneumococcal, staphylococcal and streptococcal infections. Administered to children from 7 years and adults. Daily dose — 5 tablets. This medication is contraindicated for diabetics as it contains sucrose. Is not prohibited during pregnancy and lactation.
- Strepsils is an antiseptic consisting of lidocaine hydrochloride and antibiotic local actions – amylmetacresol. Contraindicated in children less than 12 years. The daily dose is 3-5 tablets (but no more). The duration of taking the drug 3 days.
- Septolete. Contains plant components (essential oils of eucalyptus and peppermint, thymol, and menthol), as well as a very strong antiseptic substance is benzalkonium chloride. The drug is effective in the treatment of infections various types of fungi, moulds and bacteria, and also Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Escherichia coli. Contraindicated in children less than 4 years. Pregnant and lactating women, it is possible to apply the remedy only when assigning your doctor.
Despite the fact that antibiotics can cause side effects, sometimes they are able to cope with the disease. The use of such drugs should be under strict medical supervision. As a rule, for the treatment of tonsils use antibiotics:
The treatment takes about 7-10 days. Even if the patient felt better and symptoms of the disease decreased, to interrupt the treatment is unacceptable as a possible relapse.
For local use, using antibiotics, in the form of sprays and aerosols:
- Bioparox, etc.
Detailed description of the drug and the dosage instructions, indications and contraindications can be found in the Internet.
How to treat the child?
We understand that is used for tonsillitis in adults. But than to treat the inflammation of the tonsils in a child?
The course of treatment for the child should appoint only a doctor, to avoid complications.
As children grow, their body is not able to cope with many infections. Protective functions do not work in full, why children susceptible to such disease as tonsillitis more often than adults. In childhood, most often resort to surgical treatment. To recommend the operation may in the event that:
- throughout the year the child 6-7 times carries the disease;
- every time the child, the disease occurs with abscesses, causing difficulty breathing;
- the disease causes complications in the heart and in the vessels;
- if drug treatment has not given result.
The operation is performed on an outpatient basis, so the patient goes home several hours after surgical treatment. Despite this, for the full recovery will take at least two weeks.
A tonsillectomy increases the risk that the baby will be exposed to frequent infectious diseases. The best way to prevent disease is prevention.
Causes of unilateral inflammation
It so happens that the inflammatory process is localized only on one tonsil. To prevent the infection spread further, you must seek the advice of a doctor.
There are several reasons why unilateral inflammation:
- laryngitis or pharyngitis;
- tonsillitis or purulent tonsillitis;
- different species of bacteria and fungi.
If there is inflammation of the tonsils on the one hand, treatment should be started immediately. Please contact the clinic so the doctor put correct diagnosis and prescribe treatment. To diagnose you will need to pass a series of tests that will reveal the clinical picture of the disease.
Angioma – inflammation of lingual tonsils
Location of lingual tonsils – tongue. This fabric is less exposed to the occurrence of inflammation. But still, there are cases where inflammation appears. The cause of angioma becomes a weak immune system and injury. Most often, the disease manifests in older people.
Inflammation of lingual tonsils at the root of the tongue symptoms:
- pain that occurs when swallowing;
- swelling of the lymph nodes and tongue;
- high temperature indicator;
- pain when the protruding tongue;
- the inability to accept food;
- impaired speech or loss of voice;
- purulent inflammation – severe migraine attack.
As a rule, the treatment of angiomas is identical to the treatment of angina. It is very important to see a specialist, this will prevent possible complications and to safely cure the disease.