Inhalation laryngitis with saline, pulmicort and dexamethasone
What do inhalation laryngitis
Picture, familiar to many from early childhood: a pot of just boiled potatoes or hot kettle, the spout of which was perched a paper cone, and carefully prepared a large towel. Steam inhalation for more than a dozen years, remains a favorite folk remedy for combating infectious inflammation of the respiratory tract. To replace the home fixtures came technological inventions that influence on the outbreak of the disease to most effectively and safely. What drugs can do inhalation laryngitis with a nebulizer, and as not to aggravate the situation?We will talk about this in our article.
The objectives of therapy and the rules of procedure
Through steam inhalation you can achieve the following results:
- hydration of the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract;
- liquefy the phlegm and mucus in the nasopharynx and larynx;
- stimulate blood circulation in the tissues;
- delivery of drugs to the site of inflammation;
- removing the swelling and spasm;
- relief of the condition.
It is certainly good, but under certain circumstances such manipulation can cause deterioration and further progression of the disease until major complications. It is therefore necessary to follow the advice of a full-time specialist and the basic rules of inhalation therapy.
- Manipulation can be carried out not earlier than 30 minutes after physical activity.
- The optimal duration of a session – 5-10 minutes.
- Inhalation after a meal – evil. Between food intake and therapy must be at least one and a half hours.
- After the procedure, no talking, even in whispers, for an hour.
- During inhalation you should breathe calmly, without sharp and deep breaths.
- Treatment with boiling liquid is a real danger of burns.
- If you are using several drugs with different effects, apply them to the specific order established by the doctor.
- Previously encountered an allergic reaction to any medicine or plant component – a direct contraindication to self-treatment with inhaled therapy.
Before you cook the potatoes or run to the pharmacy for an inhaler and medications should correlate the benefits and possible side effects. If the risk exceeds the expected effect, it is better not to risk it.
In addition to the home devices of the invention for inhalation therapy are two types of devices:
- Directly device the formation of warm steam, which is used for exposure of the upper respiratory tract.
- Nebulizer – ultrasonic device designed for delivery of drugs to the lower respiratory system.
Since laryngitis is a disease of «upper register» for the treatment of the optimal conventional steam unit.
The list of prohibitions to conduct steam exposure is quite impressive. It includes:
- a sore throat;
- acute sinusitis;
- any purulent inflammation in the nasopharynx;
- any bacterial infection in the scope of the inhaler;
- Allergy to components of the medication which is to be used for therapy;
- weakened immune defenses;
- some systemic diseases;
- senile age.
As for children, 3-4 years of inhalation therapy can be included in the treatment plan only on prescription, as the risk of possible obstruction are greater than the benefits. From 3 to 7 years of steam exposure is possible, but only with great caution. After 8-10 years of inhalation for children on the effectiveness of similar adult therapy.
What to use as medicines?
The choice of specific drugs is the prerogative of the specialist as only he can competently assess the overall status, identify contraindications and risks, to give comprehensive guidance on the rate and dosage of the medication, and the main thing – to choose the most effective drug.
The most common options:
- Inhalation laryngitis with saline at room temperature. You can buy sterile liquid in the pharmacy, or prepare her own hand, dissolved in a liter of boiled and cooled water 3 tablespoons of salt. For this purpose you can take iodized salt or sea.
- Inhalations with mucolytics and expectorant drugs enhance the secretory activity of the respiratory tract and contribute to the output of sputum.
- Inhalation with dexamethasone is used to relieve spasm and edema in the transition of normal laryngitis in stenosing laryngotracheitis in children allergic or stenosis of the larynx in adults. Application in the framework of self-help is not desirable and is possible only with urgent care or after medical appointments. Similar problems are solved by the inhalation with hydrocortisone.
- At home, in addition a favorite potato and puffing teapot, often used soda inhalations of chamomile, thyme and other herbs add to the hot liquid essential oils and extracts. But be careful: possible unpredictable allergic reactions.
- Inhalation naphazoline often used to treat inflammation in the nasal cavity, as vasoconstrictor drugs helps to relieve swelling, and restore the passage for the air. However, in the treatment of laryngitis this medication is sometimes used. Along with this, the doctor may prescribe for certain indications hold inhalations with adrenaline (international name epinephrine).
In any case, the choice of a particular drug, its form and the method of delivery to the airway determined by the attending physician. Liberty self-treatment or following the advice of people, even close relatives and friends is fraught with complications, allergic reactions and worsening of the condition overall.
The child’s question
Since most respiratory diseases occur in the age from 2 to 17 years, most of the parent questions related to the possibility of inhalation therapy in children. Inhalation what to do when laryngitis in children determines also a doctor. However, there is a condition that often requires emergency stenosing laryngotracheitis induced edema and laryngeal spasm.
The drug Pulmicort laryngitis in children is used only in the case of a sudden transition of the disease in laryngotracheitis with subsequent stenosis. This is a glucocorticosteroid used as measures of the urgent help to relieve allergic and inflammatory edema.
The rest to treat laryngitis in children you can make a steam inhalation with the preventive precautions. The main objective of such therapy is the relief of coughs, thinning mucus and restore the normal functioning of the vocal cords. Medication is often simply not needed.
Is it possible inhalation Pulmicort laryngitis adults? It is possible, but not as stenosing laryngotracheitis – a lot of children, and among other indications for the use of the drug upper respiratory tract no. It is a tool for the therapy of bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and other very serious diseases.
Popular drug Flomax treatment of laryngitis has no relation neither in children nor in adults. This medication must patients suffering from obstructive diseases of the lower respiratory tract with reversible bronchospasm.
In most cases, laryngitis is uncomplicated and has a viral nature, so the use of antibiotics is inappropriate unless there are specific indications of bacterial infection.
Despite the abundance of options both medicinal herbs and folk, with nothing to do inhalation laryngitis at home have to decide full-time specialist. Turning to Internet sources and network consultants, it is worth remembering that following the advice without visual inspection of a real doctor is fraught with consequences, especially in matters concerning child health.