Laparotomy for ovarian: surgery
An ovarian cyst is a small tumor, which filled the secret (purulent) fluid, which is produced by the vaginal walls of the ovary. Cyst a woman can have different sizes. It depends on the form and stage of disease, but as a rule, education can reach sizes from a few millimeters to 10 centimeters. Start the disease it is impossible as it can lead to infertility.
You need to be diagnosed for correct diagnosis. It happens that women have concomitant gynecological diseases that can act an obstacle to the operation. In such a situation, first we need to cure the disease, and then to be diagnosed and treated cysts.
To identify a cyst you can use:
- a pelvic examination, taking into account complaints and symptoms;
- ultrasound examination of the reproductive organs of small pelvis;
- with the help of puncture (puncture of the posterior wall of the vagina);
Additionally, your doctor may order tests for blood and urine, will also be encouraged to undergo testing for pregnancy. If the test turns negative then this is confirmation that had a cyst, and not having an ectopic pregnancy.
Methods of treatment of ovarian cysts
What treatment will be offered to the patient depends on stage, localization and form of the disease. Also take into account the woman’s age and her desire to become pregnant in the future.
There are two ways to treat ovarian cyst:
- Medical (conservative) – method is usually used when a woman has entered menopause and are not planning a pregnancy, or if the education has reached sizes up to 10 inches. Otherwise, drug treatment will be ineffective, and it will have to go again and again.
- Surgery (surgical) – a common method in medicine as in surgery, you can permanently and irreversibly get rid of cysts that have medium and large sizes, and if the disease started. As a rule, operations are planned, but in certain circumstances may be an emergency. Emergency are conducted, if there is a life threat to the patient, or due to cyst rupture pain so unbearable that a woman can’t lead their way of life.
Laparotomy: what is it and what principle of operation
Laparotomy ovarian cyst is abdominal surgery after all processes are performed through 1 small incision made on the anterior wall of the abdomen. Laparotomy is considered an alternative to laparoscopy, but even despite the fact that at laparotomy requires an incision slightly larger than in the case of laparoscopy, in some cases, the preference given to her.
This technique has a number of advantages:
- Gives a close and good look at the organs in the pelvic area, and abdomen. You can see the tissue of the surrounding organs and lymph nodes, if there is suspicion of cancer, cyst rupture, or even any complications.
- This method allows to remove large education entirely, without violating its integrity, which helps to prevent the ingress of fluid or pus into the abdominal cavity.
- If, in addition to cysts discovered uterine fibroids, laparotomy allows you to conduct a complete removal without risk of the onset of bleeding.
Preparing and conducting a laparotomy
Laparotomy ovarian performed under General anesthesia. Before surgery the patient undergoes a bowel cleansing with an enema. 22 hours before the operation one should refrain from taking heavy meals. Recommended to use liquid food. Also for 9 hours before surgery you should drink only water.
Before the manipulation the site is treated with antiseptic, then a horizontal cut is made at the bikini area or vertical in the middle of the abdomen. The surgeon removes education by clipping. Then, a revision of the tissues that are nearby. This is necessary to avoid the appearance of metastases. In advanced and serious cases may require removal of one, sometimes even 2 at once the ovaries or uterus together with appendages.
During laparotomy when bleeding the doctor uses a cauterizing current or ligation of vessels. Superimposed cosmetic seams closely and carefully, as tissues in the region of the ovary is very thin. After the operation of the remote entity sent for histological examination. It is necessary to determine the presence of a malignant tumor and to establish its variation in order to choose the right and appropriate treatment.
Rehabilitation and recovery
After carrying out laparotomy in the hospital, you need to be about 4 days. To fully return to an active, everyday life is possible only after 6 weeks. The first few days can be painful sensations in the region of the surgical wound, and abdominal pain. The doctor will prescribe pain medications that will help alleviate the condition. For 4 weeks is recommended to refrain from strenuous activity and heavy lifting. For consultations after the operation the doctor will give the woman all the recommendations that must be followed in the postoperative period.
As a rule, in women of reproductive age who are planning a pregnancy, doctors possible try to preserve the ovaries and uterus that a woman could conceive a child. Patients who have entered menopause, are often removed from 2 of the ovary. When uterine fibroids all depends on its size and location. If after the surgery preserved the uterus and one ovary, to recover all of the reproductive functions is approximately a few months.
What complications has laparotomy:
- pain in region of surgery;
- the formation of adhesions in the peritoneum;
- infectious processes;
- damage to the bladder or intestines and other internal organs.
It should be noted that complications arise in rare cases. Usually, this happens when a woman has a concomitant disease, which is started and turned serious.
Prevention is the best way to prevent the disease. In order to avoid laparotomy, should be regularly seen by a doctor. Modern medical drugs can cure ovarian cyst without surgery, drugs, but in this case, if the disease is diagnosed.