Laryngitis in children: symptoms and treatment drugs
How to treat laryngitis in children
Among the many colds common in children, it is possible to allocate laryngitis. For kids this disease is more dangerous than for adults. This is due to the peculiar structure of the nasopharynx of the child, which is much narrower than that of an adult. Any inflammatory process affecting the mucous membrane of the throat, can lead to the development of laryngitis. To cope with this disease, parents should know what the laryngitis in children, symptoms and treatment, drugs that help to alleviate the condition of the baby.
Features of laryngitis
Before you begin treatment, you need to see the characteristic features of the disease. Laryngitis due to numerous characteristics that are very similar to pharyngitis. These diseases have only minor difference is the localization of the inflammatory process. If the strep – inflamed mucosa of pharynx, laryngitis, infection affects the vocal cords and the larynx.
Disease laryngitis may occur as a complication of influenza, SARS or from overstrain and injury to the vocal cords.
For younger children who are 1 year and less, the disease poses a serious danger, since infection can lead to narrowing of the larynx, and suffocation of the child.
If your family has a baby who is less than 3 years, you just need to be aware of what the laryngitis in children, and what measures should apply to parents in the event of an attack.
The signs of laryngitis in children
The disease has a pronounced symptoms, therefore to recognize onset of the disease in the baby, is not difficult:
- redness of the larynx and edema of the mucosa, at the site of inflammation;
- dry barking cough;
- voice hoarse, if not can be lost;
- headaches and rhinitis;
- the temperature rises, but not essential;
- edema of the mucosa, is accompanied by spasm of the larynx, which leads to difficulty breathing;
- there is a tickling in larynx and dryness in the mouth.
If children have osiplosti or changed tone of voice, parents should be wary, most likely, the baby got sick with laryngitis. The following factors of the disease are loss of appetite, difficulty breathing.
At night (closer to morning), the child’s cough laryngitis becomes more frequent, and sometimes accompanied by asthma attacks.
The symptoms in infants
Children from 4-5 years old, able to explain to adults what is bothering them and where it hurts, but how to identify the signs of disease in newborn babies? What is laryngitis and its symptoms and how to treat the infants, you need to know for sure, because the child is age 2 years or less, will not be able to complain about feeling unwell. Parents should carefully monitor the health and well-being of your baby. It is important to pay attention to the behavior and physical condition of the infant. Immediately call the doctor if we’ve seen the following signs of laryngitis in children under years:
- the baby is lethargic and restless;
- the kid is capricious, and his cry is accompanied by wheezing and a suffocating, dry cough;
- there was a cold;
- in the lungs are listened to noises and whistles;
- nasolabial triangle bluish color (this is one of the most important signals to sound the alarm, as blue indicates progression of the disease).
If was discovered laryngitis in infants, treatment only appoint a qualified pediatrician, as the swelling of the larynx that occurs when the disease can cause irreparable consequences.
In some cases, require hospitalization
Not always the disease is mild. There are times when the baby may require urgent hospitalization. Parents need to know not only how to treat laryngitis in children, but in some cases I need an ambulance.
- Child, coughing, experiencing difficulty breathing.
- More than a day, the baby’s high temperature.
- The kid recorded allergic reactions and chronic diseases of the Central nervous system. Such factors can complicate the child’s condition.
- Was narrowing of the larynx (false croup). Such violations, without the provision of timely medical care, can impede or lead to a complete cessation of breathing.
- If the baby is breathing jerky and uneven, there may be shortness of breath. This condition often leads to heart failure or asphyxia.
Attacks of false croup
Very often moms ask the question: «If you had an attack of laryngitis the child what to do in this case?» The first thing that you want to make to parents is to call their child an ambulance, then start removing attack.
There are a few simple rules, the use of which can greatly facilitate the patient’s condition before the ambulance:
- Prepare a warm drink. Child needs to drink fluid in small portions, but often enough. It is forbidden to drink, which can contribute to allergic reactions, they are sweet sodas, juices, coffee drinks and fruit drinks.
- Moisturize the air in the room where the patient is. You can use a special device or to do it the old fashioned way by hanging a wet cloth (towels or diapers). Some moisturize the air by installing indoor pot with water.
- To remove the puffiness, you can apply anti-allergic medicines (Zyrtec, Fenistil).
Frequently asked questions
In the treatment of laryngitis many parents have questions. Consider some of them:
Question: «do antibiotics for laryngitis in children?»
Answer: Doctors do not recommend the use of these drugs in the treatment of children. The immune system of the child more difficult to withstand the side effects of antibiotics. But there are cases where therapy with other drugs, does not give the desired result. Only then the doctor can prescribe the reception of funds.
Question: «Contagious laryngitis?»
Answer: the Disease can be dangerous for other people when it is caused by bacteria and viruses. Chronic laryngitis, does not pose a threat, and to not get it.
Question: «Can you bathe laryngitis baby?»
Answer: No. Bathe the baby when he was in such a broken, weakened state, is impossible. If the mother is worried about hygiene, you can offer to wipe the baby, soaked in warm water with a towel or moist sanitary wipes.
Question: «how to treat laryngitis in a child 3 years old?»
Response: the Treatment of children should take place under the strict supervision of the attending pediatrician. Not worth it to tempt fate by experimenting with the health of your child self-medicate.
Treatment medicamentous way
In mild course of the disease, an improvement in the condition of the child come at 5-7 days. But if there is a severe form of the disease will require inpatient treatment, under the supervision of medical staff.
Consider what contributes to recovery and how to cure laryngitis in child:
- Compliance with bed rest.
- Proper sleep and rest.
- Providing peace of mind. No worries, worries and irritations.
- Drink plenty of liquids (tea and clean water). Eliminate the use of hot and cold drinks, as well as those that can cause allergies.
Congestion in the nasopharynx, treated with lavage and instillation of the nose, the salt brine.
If the condition is not improved, consult your pediatrician. The doctor will prescribe hormonal agents. They will help to open the lungs.
Cough syrup laryngitis children (for example, such popular Efferalgan) use is strictly prohibited, as this may lead to clogging of the larynx and suffocation.
At elevated temperatures, children prescribed Nurofen or Paracetamol.
It is recommended not to give children aspirin, as this drug leads to blood thinners.
Inhalation laryngitis in children
As we have said, the best cure for laryngitis for peace and relaxation. Proven themselves inhalation. For the procedure used:
- Medical solutions (e.g. Mucosolvan).
- The soda solution.
- Herbal, chamomile, sage and others.
- Drink Borjomi and other mineral water with the alkali content.
For infants use a mini-inhaler, such as Pulmicort.
To worsen the child’s condition, especially if the baby has a fever, can traditional treatments:
- Compresses on the neck.
- Mustard plasters on the back.
- Warming up the feet in a hot bath.
Prevention of laryngitis in children is:
- The elimination of infectious focus.
- Prevent contact with the infection.
- Gentle stress on the ligaments.
- Protection of the child from passive Smoking.
If you have any suspicions for laryngitis in a child, immediately consult your pediatrician. The sooner treatment begins, the easier it will be to your child’s body will fight off the infection.