Leukoplakia of the vulva: causes, symptoms and treatment
Leukoplakia of the vulva is a common gynecologic disease that is most often diagnosed in women older than 50 years of age. But modern medicine known cases of leukoplakia and in women of reproductive age. Leukoplakia of the vulva is a process of dystrophic changes in the mucous tissues of the vulva, accompanied by increased cornification of the surface epithelium of the external genitalia. Visually judge the progress of this disease can be a whitish «plaque» that appear on the mucous surface of the external genitalia. The main danger of leukoplakia is that it is considered a precancerous condition, which requires complex treatment.
Causes of leukoplakia of the vulva
In most cases, leukoplakia of the vulva acts as a complications of chronic inflammation of the mucous membrane of the vulva; metabolic, immune or neuroendocrine disorders in the female body. To date, the main causes that can trigger the occurrence of leukoplakia of the vulva, is not completely installed. But experts identify some factors that can greatly accelerate the development of this disease:
- The main factors that can trigger the development of the pathological process in the outer labia, are age-related changes in the female body. It has been scientifically established that most often the disease is typical for women of middle and old age, crossed the threshold of menopause.
- The cause of leukoplakia of the vulva may be the lack of need for regular hygiene of the external genitalia.
- Very often, leukoplakia of the vulva acts as a complication of various diseases of the endocrine system – diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, obesity.
- A negative impact on the state of the mucosa of the external genitalia has Smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages or food with a minimum of helpful and essential for the female body of vitamins and minerals.
- Leukoplakia of the vulva in most cases develops on the background of chronic inflammatory processes of the reproductive organs – human papillomavirus infection, cervical dysplasia, genital herpes, chlamydia, toxoplasmosis, colpitis, cervicitis.
To understand the reasons sprovocirovali disease, can help only professionals.
The main symptoms of leukoplakia
In most common cases the initial stage of the disease are asymptomatic woman is not experiencing pain or discomfort in the vulva. The progression of leukoplakia is accompanied by the following signs:
- The first symptom of the pathological process in the area of the labia – the appearance of small whitish spots on the vaginal mucosa and labia minora.
- In the process of development of gynecological diseases whitish spots increase in size, they can merge and their color becomes more pronounced and intense. With further progression of leukoplakia little spots turn into so-called «plaque» that significantly protrude above the surface of the mucosa.
- Pathological processes of the vulva accompanied by itching, swelling, redness, burning of external genitals. Especially discomfort increases immediately after sexual intercourse, during menstruation, urination, long active movements or just walk away.
- Also on the mucous surface of the vulva may appear painful microfractures that gradually appear bleeding ulcers and erosion.
- A common symptom of leukoplakia of the vulva are considered to be pain in the vaginal area and labia, which worsens during intercourse or during the day.
Depending on the intensity and severity of symptoms, leukoplakia of the vulva is divided into 2 types: isolated and diffuse. For the isolated form of the disease characterized by the development of one of the deformed portion of the epithelium of the vulva. In turn, in diffuse type of leukoplakia patches or «plaques» have a pronounced tendency to merge and unite. The treatment of the disease also depends on its form and severity.
Treatment of leukoplakia of the vulva
The treatment of the pathological process in the area of the external genitalia should begin immediately after the was revealed the first signs of the disease. Many women who have been diagnosed with is a gynecological disease, are wondering how to treat leukoplakia of the vulva. As a rule, treatment of leukoplakia of the vulva is a somewhat lengthy process, requiring an integrated approach. Typically, the treatment of this gynecological diseases is directly dependent on the woman’s age, factors that trigger the development of disease and presence of accompanying chronic diseases.
It is generally recommended complex treatment of gynecological pathology, consisting of drug therapy, compliance with a certain diet with plenty of vitamins and minerals necessary for the health of the female reproductive system, as well as a variety of physiotherapy. In some cases, is assigned to additional hormonal therapy. Shown the treatment of drugs of local action: creams, ointments, lotions. In the most severe cases leukoplakia of the vulva requires surgical intervention.
To prevent the development of leukoplakia of the vulva every woman needs to pay careful attention to the proper hygiene of the genital organs. Treatment is recommended to combine with the refusal to wear narrow, tight underwear from synthetic materials that do not allow the skin to «breathe». Also the ladies is not recommended to use different cosmetic products for intimate areas: shower gel, intimate sprays or deodorants, creams, lotions or foam baths. The best option would be hygiene using plain warm water or decoctions of medicinal herbs. But be careful – a decoction of medicinal herbs is very concentrated and can cause allergic reactions on the delicate skin of the external genitalia.