Maxillary sinusitis: what is it and treatment of acute maxillary sinusitis
How to treat maxillary sinusitis?
Acute maxillary sinusitis is a serious disease of the paranasal sinuses, which inflamed the upper jaw on the sides of the nasal cavity. Inflammation is characterized by the rapid appearance and, therefore, has acute symptoms. In the absence of the correct approach to choice of treatment or delayed medical care, the disease becomes chronic.
When inflammation of maxillary sinusitis become inflamed as the oral cavity and the maxillary sinus. The cavities in this part are filled with purulent secretions, and sealed with a fistula, through which the ventilation and outflow of mucus. To eliminate this disease it is advisable when first the factors of its occurrence, as the consequences of sinusitis unpredictable.
What is maxillary sinusitis
What is it maxillary sinusitis are interested in increasing the number of people as in recent years, an increasing number of patients with sinusitis. Inflammation of the maxillary region is characterized as the inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the nasal cavity.
This form of sinusitis is characteristic of the formation of large amounts of purulent secretions, which accumulate in the cavities of the maxillary cavity.
In addition, the patient feels a swelling of the mucous membranes, which causes the characteristic pain in this area.
The acute form of this inflammation can be dangerous for the life of the patient has pronounced symptoms and signs, from which it is difficult to get rid of.
Therefore, if the inflammation is not treated there is a risk of uncontrollable consequences, life-threatening.
Acute sinusitis develops for a very short time and carries different diseases. So to cure this kind of disease in a short time is difficult and much depends on the form of inflammation and individual characteristics of the organism. When you call for medical help at the first signs of the disease, treatment of maxillary sinusitis takes up to three weeks, but in the form of chronic inflammation of the treatment can last up to three months.
The cause of the inflammation
Before prescribing medication, the doctor needs to determine the factors of occurrence of inflammation. The main reasons for the formation of maxillary sinusitis include:
- the penetration of the virus in the maxillary region;
- a complication of a cold or flu;
- goes untreated rhinitis;
- inflammation of scarlet fever, and measles;
- entering the body of some types of fungi;
- inflammation of the tonsils;
- problems with teeth;
- the ingress of the filling material in the maxillary cavity;
- various allergic reactions;
- frequent swelling of the mucosa cavity caused by irritation or side effect from medication;
- the pathological structure of the nasal cavity;
- congenital or acquired curvature of the nasal septum;
- injury of the nose or the mouth;
- a polyps;
- a weak immune system;
- long-term use of antibiotics or antidepressants;
- the consequences of chemotherapy;
- diabetes mellitus;
In addition to these factors, great importance is the activity of the cilia of the ciliated epithelium. With decreasing functionality of these elements often form the makings to the formation of sinusitis. In addition, the importance of air. When insufficient moisture is formed breathing problems, which greatly affects the health of the patient.
After infection of an organism by viruses or education favorable areas for inflammation of sinusitis, three days after the formation of the disease in the patient occurs the penetration of viruses and bacteria in accumulation of pus in the cavities of the maxillary cavity. As a result of this annexation, the patient feels a strong deterioration of health and exacerbation of symptoms.
The symptoms of acute inflammation
After penetration of viruses and bacteria in the body, the immune system of the patient starts active work on elimination of harmful elements. At this time, the person feels a significant deterioration of health, increased body temperature, headache and temporal pain.
At activation of protective functions of the organism, the human body produces white blood cells, whose main goal is the destruction of viruses. When a cluster of white blood cells in the maxillary cavity is swelling of the mucous membranes. At this time, the narrowed anastomosis, which provokes nasal congestion and impaired air exchange.
Treatment in this situation is urgently needed, as in the accessory pocket at this time, the accumulated pus. It affects vital organs of the patient and may cause serious diseases.
To understand the accumulation of purulent secretions the following signs:
- the patient appears severe nasal congestion, which increases towards evening;
- dryness of the mucous membranes;
- reflex sneezing and itching in the nasal cavity;
- the permanent allocation of the mucous secret;
- the increase in body temperature up to 39 degrees Celsius;
- pain in the head;
- pain when tilting the head;
- sharp pain in the region of the nasopharynx;
- palpation of the nose, the patient may experience a pulling sensation;
- by the evening or night pain in the head increases;
- unpleasant odor from the mouth;
- change tone of voice;
- education snoring;
- change of taste receptors;
- violation of smell.
The main symptom of left-sided maxillary sinusitis or inflammation of the right side is runny nose. In the first stages of nasal discharge does not have color, but with the development of the disease, they change color. After penetration of bacteria into the maxillary cavity, the discharge becomes green, and in severe purulent, snot change color to yellow.
Diagnosis of inflammation and traditional treatment
To identify the form of inflammation can only be a doctor-otolaryngologist. He prescribed further medication and physical therapy.
To treat yourself without consulting a doctor, is undesirable.
So you can only trigger the transition of inflammation from the acute stage to the chronic form.
To determine the shape of inflammation may need to do some research:
- To begin with, the doctor by an external examination is conducting a study of the affected area.
- The second step is rhinoscopy and endoscopy.
- After that, it is necessary to conduct an x-ray. In the picture, the doctor will determine the localization of inflammation.
- With the help of computer tomography will determine the depth of lesion, its severity and presence of edema.
- The last stage will be the study of the patient’s blood.
After all the surveys on the basis of data specialist prescribes an individual comprehensive treatment.
Drug therapy of acute sinusitis involves the administration of drugs, removes puffiness and eliminates inflammation. Besides, it is necessary to remove the accumulation of pus in the paranasal sinuses and reduce and then eliminate the symptoms of inflammation. Such manipulation is carried out only at the initial stage of inflammation. In the future, requires more serious treatment.
When the bacterial form of inflammation does not dispense antibacterial drugs, and medicines that improve the health of the patient, reduces temperature and relieves swelling.
- To improve nasal breathing are assigned to the vasoconstrictors in nasal sprays – «Sanorin», «Galazolin», «Oxymetazoline», «Glycine», «Naphazoline», «Taufon».
- The instillation should be performed after irrigation of nasal cavity with specialized medical supplies – «other means», «Akvamaris «Rotokan».
- After the introduction of drugs to narrowing of blood vessels need to use sprays against inflammation – «Bioparox», «Throat» or «Ingalipt».
- Acute symptoms of the disease can not do without antibiotics.
- In combination with antibacterial drugs, the patient is administered antihistamines – «Suprastin», «Zyrtec», «claritin» or «Tavegil».
- It is important to improve the health of the patient and to reduce the temperature and eliminate the pain. To achieve this, patients need to take «Paracetamol», «Panadol», «Nurofen», «Aspirin» or «Nalgesin».
- When inflammation of sinusitis in children, the doctor prescribes analgesics because of the syrup – «Coldrex hotrem», «Theraflu», «Fervex», «Farmatsitron».
- Full recovery will not occur until the patient fails to eliminate the mucus. Removal necessary pharmacological medications, «ACC», «Ambrobene», «Fluditec or Mucodin».
Treatment these medicines should not exceed one week. Otherwise, they can lead to stagnation of mucous secretions and nosebleeds.
In the transition inflammation in chronic maxillary sinusitis should be treated more serious. In this case, mucosal certainly accumulated a large number of bacteria, which need time to get rid of. To achieve this goal, doctors prescribe antibiotics.
Antibiotic therapy may be necessary, and in acute inflammation symptoms that defy standard treatment.
Being in the nasal cavity, they cause severe swelling, nasal congestion and the deterioration of the protective functions of the organism.
To prescribe medication in this case can only be a qualified doctor. Most often, specialists prescribe drugs based on penicillin, cephalosporin, or macrolide.
In addition, patients prescribed «Amoxiclav», «Augmentin», «Sumamed», «flemoksin soljutab» and others. A course of antibiotic treatment should not exceed seven days but in some cases, the doctor increases the number of days.
To avoid inflammation of the right maxillary sinus or the left side of the maxillary cavity, it is recommended not to forget to moisten the mucous membrane of the nose, and also to follow the diet, active sports and support the immune system.