MRI of the ovaries: the features of the
Every person must pay particular attention to their health: to Listen to unpleasant sensations on the inside, to consult often with your doctor if there are concerns, and to undergo regular comprehensive inspection. Particularly women of childbearing age should monitor the condition of the reproductive system, uterus, ovaries.
Lately there are many new methods of diagnosis that can detect any disease even at early stages, one of them is MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). In our article we will focus on how MRI ovarian how to prepare for the exam?
Who is to carry out an MRI ovarian?
MRI is an innovative informative method of inspection of organs of great importance not only in gynecology but also in other areas. Being invasive completely safe and painless procedure for women and men, MTR allows early to detect any change in the body and this means that there is every chance of complete cure. But when an MRI is recommended on the reproductive system of women, including on the ovaries?
MRI of the ovaries is prescribed for women who have suspicion on such diseases:
- If there is a suspicion of neoplasm. For suspected metastases may also recommend an MRI with contrast, thus, it is possible to exclude a wrong diagnosis. The fair sex after 45 years is recommended once a year to pass inspection and to check the uterus and ovaries once a year.
- If there is a suspicion of ovarian cysts.
- If there is suspicion of the presence of fibroids (benign tumors).
- If a woman is unable to conceive or carry a baby, a diagnosis of infertility.
In what cases it is contraindicated to carry out an MRI?
Magnetic resonance imaging of the ovaries is not recommended to women in such cases:
- If a woman has a pacemaker.
- If the female body are metal elements that cannot be removed (implants, dentures teeth, pins or splinters). If in a woman’s body are the parts made of titanium or installed an intrauterine device, these elements do not interfere with the diagnostics.
- If a woman is suffering the strongest form of claustrophobia, but in this case it is possible to conduct the examination under anesthesia.
- If the body patients established vascular clips or other electronic devices, and this applies to staples, stents surgeon.
How to prepare for an MRI?
To complete the survey, and see in what condition are the ovaries women, special training is required. Before a woman draw the line at passing diagnostics, it should give your gynecologist all the information pertaining to previously performed operations on the reproductive organs, the possible presence of pregnancy (during the period when a woman carries the baby to carry out an MRI). It should also provide results of previous examinations. Scan on ovaries are not recommended during menstruation, it is best to do it in 8-11 day cycle.
The day before the designated survey is not recommended to eat fiber and foods with high carbohydrate content. This must be done in order to prevent the formation of gas, they can distort the picture and will not allow to obtain accurate data. Conduct MRI on an empty stomach.
How is magnetic resonance imaging of the ovaries?
Before starting the examination of the ovaries the woman offered to change into more comfortable and loose clothing. All jewelry, watches, glasses and other items made of metal must be removed. After all the details that could prevent you from getting accurate information removed, the woman is placed on a special couch face up. And then it is placed in the MRI scanner is a kind of capsule with sensors and sends the signal to the monitor.
The examination lasts for about 30 minutes, if it is performed with contrast, the time can be increased. Throughout the procedure the patient should not move, if fails for some reason to lie completely still (anxiety or pain), the doctor may suggest to immerse a woman in a medicated sleep.
Any discomfort a woman at the time of examination does not feel. But the scanner during operation produces noise, which can cause fear. In this case, you can use earplugs if fear increases, the patient should inform the doctor and the examination will be aborted.
MRI with contrast of
In addition to the usual examination on the CT scan ovarian doctor may recommend a procedure using contrast. Tend to recommend this kind of diagnosis take place women, to improve the visualization of the disease, usually if there is an assumption that the body is present in the tumor. A contrast agent is injected into a vein in your shoulder or wrist. Once the substance enters the body, many women complain of nausea and a metallic taste in the mouth, but these symptoms are considered to be normal.
The contrast is excreted from the body within 24 hours naturally. Women who are breastfeeding, after the introduction of contrast are not allowed to feed the baby a day until the material is displayed.
What are the advantages of examination on the scanner?
The advantages of MRI over other types of surveys are as follows:
- The procedure is completely painless and non-invasive, the procedure involves the introduction of instruments into the human body;
- Security – scanner does not use radiation that are detrimental to health;
- The maximum accuracy of the results;
- The opportunity to conduct the most accurate assessment of the ovaries, due to the fact that MRI gives three-dimensional reconstruction;
- The possibility of a clear differentiation of healthy and diseased tissues;
- The survey provides the ability to accurately localize the tumor, to determine the size and identify the presence of metastases;
- All information about the diagnostics saved on digital media.
Negative aspects of MRI
Special risks to women’s health examination in the MRI scanner is not the only thing that can be dangerous, so it is the development of an Allergy to the contrast agent. For this reason, women who suffer from allergies, it is not recommended to take this type of diagnosis.
Women with abnormalities of the kidneys and liver are not advised to undergo MRI with contrast, because violations can lead to the conclusion contrast and the consequent development of diseases such as nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. Also I do not advise screening in women carrying the baby.