Nasal congestion during pregnancy: how and what to treat, why stuffy nose
How and what to treat nasal congestion during pregnancy?
On the background of the physiological process of development in a woman’s body the embryo occurs dysfunction of the endocrine and neuroregulation systems. The change in hormonal status may cause inflammation of the upper respiratory tract, reduce the reactivity of the immune system, disorders of the drainage on respiration.
To get rid of nasal congestion during pregnancy can be conservative or recipes alternative medicine. The scheme of treatment is the doctor for each clinical case, in the context of the patient’s history and pathogenesis of the disease.
Why pregnant stuffy nose
The nasal cavity acts as a liaison body with the external environment. It performs a respiratory function, which is to ensure oxygen transport to the tissues needed to sustain the organism, gas exchange of blood.
Protective mechanisms of the upper body include the phagocytic ability of the epithelium to clear inhaled air from dust and impurities, moisturize and warm the air flow in the nose.
During pregnancy the oxygen requirement in a woman’s body increases. Stuffy nose during pregnancy early a dangerous development of hypoxia of the fetus, miscarriage.
In the period 1 to week 13, when the formation of the vital organs of the baby, lack of oxygen causes intrauterine growth retardation of the embryo. In the later stages of gestation the effects of hypoxia are manifested with CNS, a violation of the morphofunctional indicators of premature labor.
Violation of the drainage of the sinuses, nasal congestion, swelling of the soft tissues provokes a hormonal imbalance. Complicated processes in a woman’s body regulate hormones progesterone and estrogen. Being in an interesting position, concentration of biologically active substances increases, the production of a new hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin.
After birth, the biological function back to a natural state.
The normal message of the nasal cavity with the environment is constrained by the following factors:
- rhinitis of different etiology. Especially dangerous is the bacterial form of the disease. In the early stages of gestation the placental barrier is not able to repel the attack of pathogenic organisms, which increases the risk of fetal infection. Common symptoms of stuffiness joined by thick green snot, fever, headaches;
- vasomotor rhinitis. Impaired regulation of blood vessel tone is due to the physical and emotional turmoil, the activation of viral microorganisms;
- allergic reaction. Upon contact with antigen, the body reacts unproductive cough, watery eyes, itching and burning sensation, skin rash. To aggressive irritants include dust, pet dander, plant spores, household chemical items and medications;
- atrophic changes of bone and cartilaginous structure of the upper body. Clogged nose when deviated septum, localization, benign tumors (polyps), a pathological enlargement of the pharyngeal tonsils (adenoids).
Nuance! The problem of congestion of the sinuses provokes excessively dry air, unfavorable production and living conditions, bad habits, hypothermia, colds.
For each of the clinical picture of the characteristic symptoms diverse symptoms. Therefore, in a state where the nose doesn’t breathe, and requires timely medical involvement.
How and what to treat nasal congestion during pregnancy
The restoration of the upper respiratory tract begins with a visit to the doctor. The responsibility of the audiologist to differentiate the reasons for very stuffy nose, to draw up a comprehensive scheme taking into account the patient’s history and course of disease.
The complexity of therapy is to limit the pharmaceutical products, so the doctor finds an effective medicine, safe for the life of the mother and child.
Medications from nasal congestion
To enhance nasal absorption of drugs, removal of residual mucus and foreign agents, lavage of the nose. For cleansing the sinuses using a concentrated brine solution (250 ml. water 1 tbsp. salt) or moisturizing sprays: «Akvamaris», «Marimer», «no-Sol».
Medicinal liquids do not have systemic action, prescribe a course of 7 days to 2-3 months, to prevent. During the day each nostril irrigate 3-4 times one injection.
For reference! High therapeutic efficiency has mineral-Botanical complex «Dolphin».
A further range of pharmaceutical products is determined by the nature of occurrence of nasal congestion of the expectant mother.
Rhinitis of allergic etiology cropped antihistamines third-generation: «Claritin», «Suprastin», «Fexofenadine».
Antipruritic effect and a decrease in the intensity of symptoms is achieved by reducing the concentration of histamine, neutralizing the extracted biogenic amine. The dosage and duration of treatment determined by the physician. On average, the admission of antihistamines in up to 10-14 days.
When severe congestion to restore the drainage function of the administered vasoconstrictor drops on the basis of Xylometazoline. The range of emergency represented «Vibrocil», «Nazivin 0.1%», «Pisolino».
The active ingredients act on alpha-adrenergic receptors, reduce inflammation, hyperemia of soft tissues, improve the removal of pathologic secretion. Duration of use does not exceed 3-5 days. Haphazard use of dangerous development of drug rhinitis.
Tip! For treating rhinitis in a pregnant assign antikongestanty with a minimum concentration of major components or pediatric dosage.
To combat nasal congestion expectant mother help homeopathic medicines. Pharmacological agents with complex action characterized by a content of active components in minimum quantities that has a gentle effect on the fetus.
Natural plant substances and products of animal origin reduces the symptoms of inflammation of the upper respiratory tract, soft tissue swelling, restore the natural message of the nose with the external environment, reduce the reaction of the mucosa to irritants.
In the list of allowed medications during pregnancy «Euphorbium compositum». Nasal solution injected at the 1-2-press 3-5 times a day until complete recovery.
In ENT practice if nasal congestion apply topical corticosteroids. Reduce nasal Hyper activity, inhibit inflammation of the inner lining drugs such as «Prednisolone», «Dexamethasone», «Metipred».
Among the side effects – reduced resistance of the organism against pathogenic strains, the possible negative impact on the fetus. Therefore, they are prescribed with hormonal failure, when the benefits from the use of drugs exceeds the allowable threat to the health of the mother and the unborn child.
Important! Nasal congestion, triggered by the polyps, deformation of nasal septum remove surgically.
To achieve positive dynamics in complex therapy of pregnant Supplement acupressure. Mechanical effects exposed side surfaces of the nose, the projection between the nose and upper lip, the bridge of his nose.
The procedure takes about a quarter of an hour. Recommended to be performed regularly with a daily frequency of 3 sessions per day. To enhance the therapeutic effect of the use of essential oils, the balm «Asterisk».
Folk remedy for nasal congestion during pregnancy have a number of advantages, including a natural structure, low cost, minimal risk of side effects. Danger to the health of the mother and the unborn child manifests itself in an overdose of drugs, individual intolerance of components.
To restore the drainage of the nose will help the following procedures:
- warming of the paranasal sinuses boiled egg, small bag of salt or sand, the blue lamp. Session duration is limited to 10-15 minutes. A mandatory condition is the absence of temperature. The thermal effect is prohibited in congestion, triggered by a bacterial lesion, violation of the integrity of the skin. The same effect have hot baths for the feet;
- inhalation. Hold events with the help of nebulizer with the use of alkaline solutions or inhale the vapors of food products: horseradish, garlic, hot boiled potatoes, herbal decoction;
- fortified drops. For the relief of nasal congestion meant the juice of carrots, beets, onions. In the absence of Allergy to honey in General I have 1-2 grams of the product of beekeeping. Before the instillation of drug suspension is diluted with water in equal proportions;
- vitamin C. the Recommended to eat foods with a high content of vitamin C: sauerkraut, lemon, citrus, black currants.
The women are often faced with impaired upper body because of hormonal changes, anatomical features of the structure of the nose, or infection of the pathogenic microflora.
What if stuffy nose during pregnancy, determined by the attending physician taking into account the clinical characteristics of the patient. With timely treatment may be limited to homeopathy, and folk remedies. The treatment of severe disorders requires a medical approach, up to surgical intervention.