Nasal polyps: symptoms and treatment photo surgery in children
How to treat polyps in the nose
Experts, speaking about polypous rhinosinusitis, namely the so-called this disease «medical» language, compared to the pathology of a cluster of grapes. Indeed, the form of formations is very similar to a branch on these sweet berries. However, this is the only similarity: unlike grapes education in the nose capital is able to poison the life of his «owner.» What are polyps and how to treat them?
Description and symptoms of the disease
A polyp is a small benign tumor of a type that are formed due to proliferation of mucosal tissues.
Slowly but surely increasing in size, it descends from the sinuses into the nasal cavity and blocks the access of air into the respiratory passages. The result is a problem with normal nasal breathing, the person feels tired all the time, in very advanced cases, possible hearing loss.
Polyps insidious: catch the pathology in the initial stage can only be accidental, as it does not manifest itself by pain, fever or other obvious signs. Cases sometimes feels a little stuffy nose, quickly passing discomfort, sometimes accompanied by a slight runny nose. The picture is so reminiscent of a mild flu, and so implicit symptoms that suspected something more than hypothermia, it is impossible. (See in gallery the photo look like polyps in the nose in the early stages of formation).
In the end, for medical assistance people often come when signs of disease are manifested and require major intervention.
- Complete blockage of nasal breathing. Nasal drops and sprays for removing the swelling is no longer valid.
- Partial or complete loss of smell. Often he is joined by a violation of taste perception: even a fragrant and well-seasoned dishes are not felt.
- The accession of infections in the nasal cavity. Due to growth of the mucosal tissue of the sinuses become easy prey for bacteria and viruses. To join permanent nasal secretions, often with pus.
- The feeling of the foreign object. Growing polyps in the nose (photo below) put pressure on the walls of the sinuses and cause a feeling of hitting a foreign body.
- A headache and discomfort in the area of the sinuses.
In the event of such phenomena it is advisable to without delay refer to ENT specialists. By visual inspection, rhinoscopy, polyphonie education easily diagnosed, although in some cases may require additional study in the form of x-ray, endoscopy or CT scan of the nasal cavity.
The causes of pathology
Alas, medicine is still not determined the exact culprits of this disease, although it «suspects» found a lot. It is believed that the main instigators of the disease are:
- Chronic lesions of the nasopharynx caused by an infection. These include sinusitis, frontal sinusitis, rhinitis and other «Rita’s» progressing in the nasal cavity and diseases of the respiratory system (pneumonia, bronchitis, laryngitis).
- Allergic diseases, particularly bronchial asthma, hay fever.
- Abnormal structure of nasal passages, including congenital or acquired curvature of the septum.
- Injuries that resulted in violations of the structure of the nasopharynx.
All these reasons become the key factor that triggers the overgrowth of the mucous membranes. If you do not take any measures for care and treatment, the symptoms of polyps in nose will not keep itself waiting long. Inflammation in the early stages successfully docked with the protection of the body, but if the therapy is to delay or act wrong, «the wall» with the guard drops, and tissues in the nose will inevitably start to increase. The result is unambiguous.
How to deal with the disease?
There are several methods to help get rid of nasal polyps, both medical and surgical. But, as mostly people come for help at the stage of severe symptoms, the effects of the medication almost has no effect. Therefore, the main method of elimination – surgical, called in the language of doctors polypectomy.
From the Middle ages to our century
Method, known since feudal times, called «loop». Of durable wire, make a knot with the loop, stick in the nose cavity and tighten the polyp. Then sharp movement pulled the device together with overgrown tissue. The same way applies a more modern prototype – the hook of the Langhe.
Method moreover, it is very painful even at the present level of anesthesia, and various dangerous complications:
- development of bleeding;
- trauma of the nose and mucous membranes;
- activation of conditionally pathogenic inhabitants of the sinuses;
- a violation of the anatomical structure of the nose.
Moreover, this method is not effective enough, so as to eliminate only those entities that are visible by visual inspection with the naked eye. And growths located deeper are left untouched. In the end, after six months or a year, there comes a relapse, and require re-operation.
Now this procedure practically is not used anywhere else, but isolated cases still happen. To remove polyps or not thus depends on the patient, as there are more effective and safe options.
A focused laser cure has long been used in medicine and very successfully. In respect of polyps it has a «interesting» way: evaporates water from the tissue. In the end of the polyp remains wrinkled piece of mucosa that is easy to liquidate.
The procedure is short, only takes about 20 minutes. Runs emulatore, often without anesthetic drugs, since the operation is almost painless. Blood either.
With all the advantages, removing nasal polyps with laser has two very significant drawbacks:
- The possibility of eliminating only sporadic education.
- The effect of the loop: the remaining tissue often grows again.
Therefore preference is given to other surgical methods and functional endoscopy.
Precision and safety
Endoscopic technique along with the laser effects used for a long time and everywhere, not only in otolaryngology. If you choose, and how to treat polyps in the nose, it is better to give preference to this method. First, it does not damage healthy tissue of the nasal cavity. Secondly, is carried out under visual control through the computer monitors. And, thirdly, allows to eliminate not only the single but also «clusters».
Is endoscopic removal of nasal polyps under General anesthesia or local anesthesia, depending on the indications or the patient’s personal wishes. Resection performed by a special device – shaver, which is equipped with a very sharp tip. It allows with great accuracy to cut the diseased tissue from healthy shells without affecting the last one millimeter. Surgeon during manipulation track your every movement on the screen that prevents the risk of random errors.
Complications after endoscopic elimination of polyps is rare, as the operation is bloodless and does not require open access.
Some time after resection may persist a slight swelling, so you need observation in hospital for at least two days. Another advantage of this method – long-term protection from re-growths of mucous membranes. But if after polypectomy to hook up the correct, adequate treatment of polyps and all will be forgotten forever.
The child’s question, and postoperative steps
Disturbed nasal breathing, night snoring, permanently open mouth, pain in the sinuses and head, twang – all signs of not only the adenoids but also polosnogo rhinosinusitis.
How to cure nasal polyps in a child (photo of kids with the symptoms posted in the gallery)? In fact, the same as in the adult, only in relation to children applies General anesthesia and it’s about the method «loop» is not even a question.
After surgery to remove nasal polyps in children and adults should:
- the first day, sometimes more, to be under the control of an ENT doctor;
- regularly rinse your nose salt solutions (children up to 4-5 years to irrigate the nose drops or spray);
- to avoid big crowds, especially in the offseason when SARS goes to the «warpath»;
- to perform all assignments of physicians, who are most commonly associated with topical application of corticosteroids.
These drugs for nasal release in the form of sprays and drops. Many patients are scared of such appointments, as these cure nasal polyps treat hormones, but in vain. They do not effect the body systemically and «work» only in the nasal cavity, preventing re-growth of the mucous membranes. At the right dosage and the strict implementation of the recommendations, there is a high chance to get rid of the scourge forever.