Nasopharyngitis: symptoms and treatment in adults and children
Nasopharyngitis in children and adults: symptoms and treatments
Colds, the most common disease of adults and children. Today we look at nasopharyngitis. How is it dangerous and what treatment methods are used will tell that story.
What is nasopharyngitis?
Most cases of the disease – the consequences of SARS. The doctors classified it as a separate category. Nasopharyngitis is the inflammation of the sinuses (rhinitis) and throat mucosa (pharyngitis).
Before starting treatment, it is necessary to know the characteristics of the disease:
- Strep throat is a disease that resulted from a complication after acute respiratory viral infection. In more rare cases the causative agent is bacteria. Symptoms: sore throat, dry cough, pain when swallowing.
- Rhinitis – runny nose, occurs when inflammation of the mucous membranes of the nose. There are several stages of the disease: the First stage is characterized by the specific symptoms: sneezing, headaches, body aches, minor sore throat, raised temperature, cough just noticeable. The second stage is accompanied by copious nasal secretions of fluid, fever and severe nasal congestion.The last stage is a dense allocation and General nasal congestion. If the disease occurs without complications, to get rid of rhinitis is possible after 7 days.
Symptoms of nasopharyngitis
Nasopharyngitis disease has similar symptoms with pharyngitis and rhinitis, in which there are:
- Dryness, irritation and burning sensation in the nasopharynx;
- Nose breathing is difficult is manifested twang (especially in children).
- Periodically, the accumulation of mucus in the nasopharynx, which is poorly separated. Sometimes in the mucus found blood specks.
- Larynx inflamed, swollen. Discharge has a viscous consistency.
- There is an increase in lymphoid tissues at the back of the head and neck.
- Sometimes the disease gives complications on the hearing aid, in this case the patient is deteriorating hearing, have pain and clicking in my ears.
Inflammation of the nasopharynx can be caused by various viruses (influenza, rhinovirus, adenovirus, etc.) and bacteria (chlamydia, Mycoplasma, diphtheria Bacillus, etc.). Less inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx, can be caused by Allergy (pollen, animal dander, household dust mites, etc.).
Rinofaringit in children
Children’s bodies are weaker than in adults, resulting in disease in young patients is more severe and is often accompanied by complications. Therefore, when the first signs of nasopharyngitis, it is necessary immediately will address to the doctor. The first symptom that should alert parents complaints of a sore throat. In babies, the disease is accompanied by a runny nose, it is connected with structural features of the nasopharynx and the characteristic properties of the mucosa.
To prevent nasopharyngitis, symptoms, and treatment of children, need to know each mother. Consider the basic signs of disease in kids:
- Nose breathing is disrupted, there is congestion.
- The child often sneezes.
- The throat has a noticeable redness and swelling.
- In the process of swallowing, the child feels severe pain.
- At night time cough. This is due to the fact that the mucus flows from the nose to the larynx, thereby irritating the mucous membranes. Cough dry, nature.
- The child is weak and unwell.
- The increase in temperature.
Treatment of viral rhinopharyngitis, is assigned depending on the symptoms accompanying the disease. The main means in the treatment of disease:
- The diet should be balanced, it is recommended sparing diet.
- The drink should be warm and plentiful.
- The nose is washed with warm salt solution.
- To facilitate breathing, to appoint vasoconstrictive drugs.
- To relieve swelling of the mucous membranes, use antihistamines, such as loratadine.
- Pain relievers to reduce pain in the throat (lozenges, sprays, etc.).
- At high temperature using antipyretic drugs (ibuprofen, paracetamol, Nurofen).
- Bioparox is an antimicrobial agent.
Antibiotics may be administered only in the case that rhinopharyngitis is bacterial in nature. If the disease is caused by an allergen, it is necessary in the first place, to eliminate completely the contact with the pathogen. For treatment using steroid and antihistamines that are prescribed by a doctor.
There are several stages of nasopharyngitis: acute, chronic, allergic. Now let’s consider the symptoms of each of them.
Chronic stage of the disease
To understand how to fight the disease, you need to know what chronic rhinopharyngitis, symptoms and treatment in adults.
Not cured rhinitis or acute nasopharyngitis, cause chronic forms of the disease.
The disease is prolonged and can last months or even years. The patient has a constant runny nose and cough. Frequent complaints of impaired sleep due to difficulty breathing. Often the patient is unable to distinguish odors. A characteristic feature of the disease is the presence of a constant source of infection, nose and teeth (caries).
Chronic nasopharyngitis, divided into three categories:
- Catarrhal nasopharyngitis. In this form of the disease, the patient feels a semblance of a foreign body in the larynx. Discharge from nasopharynx profuse, sometimes purulent. In the morning, when you change the location of the body, the mucus comes particularly intense, may be accompanied by expectoration and vomiting. The tonsils are enlarged and inflamed.
- Atrophic – has symptoms such as: hoarseness; sore and painful condition when swallowing, in the throat; mucous integument pale, with a specific Shine. Atrophic form of the disease, develops on the background of gastrointestinal pathologies. If there is subatrophic rhinopharyngitis, causes the following: holitistic; hernia of the diaphragm hole of the esophagus; inflammation of the stomach (gastritis); pancreatitis. Inflammation of the larynx, provoked by the release of stomach acid into the throat. Before you start treatment of atrophic rhinopharyngitis, should eliminate the primary cause of disease, then the inflammation of the larynx, will be held without any interference.
- Granulosa. The main symptoms – loose surface of the mucous membrane, with obvious swelling. Inflammation of the tonsils and other lymphatic tissues.
The acute form of the disease
Acute nasopharyngitis, what is it, and what symptoms accompany it? Inflammation of the mucous tissue of the nasopharynx is called rhinopharyngitis.
In the acute form, see the following symptoms:
- Itchy nose and frequent sneezing.
- Abundant secretion of mucus, often purulent.
- Change voice timbre.
- About scratchiness, hoarseness and pain in swallowing.
- Increasing the temperature to 38 degrees.
- Dizziness and General malaise.
- Inflammation of the lymph tissue on the back wall of the larynx.
Disease has its own code in the international classification of diseases (ICD-10).
Nasopharyngitis code MBK 10 – (acute nasopharyngitis) J00.
As with any other disease, nasopharyngitis threat to the health of the baby, especially because many medications are contraindicated for the woman during this period. To prevent disease, you need to comply with preventive measures:
- Ventilate the room daily. To use special humidifiers.
- Don’t eat before bedtime, and avoid overeating.
- Replacement toothbrush needs to occur in time. Very often, this insignificant detail, to eliminate the disease.
- To give up Smoking.
When treating a pregnant woman should follow a certain mode:
- often rest;
- try to speak less;
- warm, drinking plenty of fluids (do not drink hot and cold drinks, this will cause even more irritation);
- to change diet. Completely to refuse from acidic and salty foods;
- do rinse the mouth cooked, warm solution of chamomile and sage.
Drug treatment of pregnant women should be done under strict medical supervision. To self-medicate is not necessary, as it is unsafe for a developing fetus.