Nose injury: what to do and first aid for injuries to prevent effects
What to do in case of nose injury?
The olfactory organ provides oxygen for normal functioning of the body, blood circulation. In the nasal cavity occurs thermoregulation, humidification of inspired air, filtration of contaminants.
Anatomy of the nose represents the outer component faces and an internal cavity of the basics of bone and cartilage. Injure the delicate organs of smell is not difficult, especially for young children. The degree of damage depends on the mechanism of deformation, the strength and direction of impact.
Classification of injuries of the nose
The nature of the injury and its consequences are determined by the integrity of the layers of the epidermis. Closed injuries do not affect the skin, open – determined by the deformation of the outer cover with damage to the nasal cavity or is restricted to within the subcutaneous tissue. The latter include contusions, abrasions, stab wounds.
Important! Diagnosis of injuries of the nose is performed by a neurologist on the basis of data of the radiographic image.
Violation of the anatomic integrity of the nasal apparatus can be divided into major forms:
- damage to the nasal bones, in which there is a gross modification of bone plates, the frontal processes of the upper parts of the paranasal sinuses. In some cases, the fragments lose their correct position and are shifted relative to each other (in practice, the diagnosis is ascertained, as a displaced fracture) or without displacement;
- deformation of the nasal cartilage is mainly refers to the violation of the integrity of the nasal septum when a load that exceeds the strength of the body;
- injury of the sinuses that is accompanied by fracture of anterior wall rupture of the mucosa with negative effects on the septum ethmoid sinus. The defect of the maxillary cavity is fraught with the modification of the region around the wings of the respiratory organ.
To provoke the trauma to the nose can mechanical violations, chemical and electrical factors. Adverse conditions include frostbite, and burns as a result of thermal changes. At risk athletes.
Nose injury in a child
In children the deformity of the anatomical structure of the olfactory organ is more common than in adults. This is due to the high activity and mobility of children who are beginning to take the first steps.
Soft and elastic bones are easily deformed even with a slight impact. At the age of 10-12 years old fracture or contusion is found in fights, it drops during games. Sports and traffic injuries typical students are older.
Fact! Statistics indicate that representatives of a strong half to 2 times more likely to complain about injuries of the nose.
How to help when damage to the olfactory organ
Injury of the nasal cavity affects the head, so to prevent aggravating the consequences of the patient needs skilled medical care.
The violation of the integrity of the anatomy of the nose indicate the following symptoms:
- swelling of the soft tissues;
- the formation of bruises;
- violations of oxygen;
- headache, increased body temperature, triggered by a festering hematoma;
- deformation of the outer shape of the nose (fractures).
Nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness indicate the possibility of traumatic brain injury mild.
First aid nasal trauma minor degree (bruises, scratches) is at home. Urgent actions are reduced to the following manipulations:
- Cleansing of wounds with soap solution using cotton swab.
- Treatment of the wound drug bacteriostatic effect (3% hydrogen peroxide).
- Exposure to cold for 15 minutes every half hour.
- Fixation bactericidal plaster, gauze harness.
- The use of drugs resolving action to eliminate bruises.
Important! Damaged skin actively regenerates under the influence of the open air, so protection from infection of wounds and remove after a couple of hours.
The victim should keep calm. When injuries are mild, you should stay in bed for 5 days. On day 3, the treatment permitted the effects of heat on the injured area (heating pad, warm bag of salt, sand).
Vasoconstrictor drugs are used in swelling of the mucous to reduce nasal congestion, ease breathing.
If you suspect a fracture follow as soon as possible to go to the doctor. The surgeon prescribes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, drugs for the localization of the swelling. After the elimination of symptoms, but not later than 10 days, the reduction (a comparison of the bone fragments).
A diagnosis of hemarthrosis (hemorrhages in the soft tissues causing pain, swelling, increase in volume of the organ of respiration) is an indication for the operation of puncture.
Why important to timely consult a doctor
The effects of deformation of the nose is very diverse, can lead to serious damage. Fracture of the body of the breathing threat a cosmetic defect, so it is important to obtain expert help in specialized clinic of oral and maxillofacial surgery.
During the deformation of the nasal passages to the brain receives signals on the inflammatory process, there is a plentiful secretion of mucus, a defensive reaction to adverse conditions.
Systematic allocation aconselho secretions (snot) has identical symptoms with a runny nose that does not exclude erroneous conclusion – allergic forms of inflammation of the mucous. Failure to carry out therapeutic procedures contributes to the development of vasomotor rhinitis.
Complications include post-traumatic enlargement of the nose, deformation of the walls, softening of bone support. Running injury can later result in poor health, develop chronic diseases.
Now you know how and what to do in case of nose injury. Event first aid are crucial for the further outcome of injuries of the nasal apparatus. To minimise the negative impact will help appeal to the audiologist or trauma in the first hours after injury.