Nose injury: what to do and how to distinguish a fracture from injury
What to do if you bruise your nose?
Injuries associated with nose is a common occurrence. Very often you can find bruise of soft tissues of the nose in young children who are still in because of their age often fall. The older children, knowing the world, is also injured, which is suffering from the olfactory organ.
With the onset of winter, such injuries tend to become more frequent and more serious. This is not only active winter sports ice skating, skiing and ice roller coaster, but just because of the slippery surface underfoot.
What is a nose injury?
A bruise on the face is one of the most frequent varieties of injury of the facial part of the skull. Although soft tissue and shell, the injury does not imply a deformation of the cartilage or bone, and the skin often remains intact.
To complete the picture in this article in great detail described the structure of the nose.
Physical pressure, blows with blunt objects and fall – these are the three main causes of injury. This occurs most often with athletes and children. Such injuries often occur from contact with in-game projectiles or blows of the team.
Any sport, especially contact, must necessarily be accompanied by the availability of special equipment that will prevent injury or other similar trouble.
The definition of injury
The photo is almost impossible to determine the presence of injury and especially to separate it from fracture. It is necessary to pay attention to several symptoms characteristic of the injury and to distinguish them from fracture
- bleeding from the nose. The amount of bleeding may be different based on the degree of injury;
- the swelling in the injury. In some cases, such swelling can be quite large. If the tumor gets too large, the probability of fracture, and therefore an urgent need to address to the traumatologist;
- hematoma (bleeding under the surface of the skin). Based on the specific location of the bruise can be not only in the immediate region, but in the eye area. In this case, it would be perfectly reasonable to see a specialist;
- pain of varying strength that often manifests itself after touching the damaged area;
- the nose injury is often accompanied by head injury.
Determination of fracture
Before you distinguish a broken nose from an injury, you need to know the possible symptoms in the fracture. You should start with the fact that fractures can be together with displacement of bone and cartilage fragments.
Accordingly, it will be chosen a certain method of treatment. Fracture without displacement qualifies as less complicated. In fact, it represents the only crack in the bone. A displaced fracture is more complicated. There are two qualifications:
- The open fracture.
- A closed fracture.
If the fracture is closed, the integrity of the skin and tissue around the bone is not broken. With an open fracture, you can often watch part of the bone or its fragments and in this case marked by a strong loss of blood. In a closed fracture there is a possibility of infection.
At fracture can be observed few obvious symptoms, only some of which may be similar and with injury, so it will be possible clearly to distinguish the two injuries:
- enhanced sensation of pain in the area of the fracture and the whole nose in General, especially during a touch. It should be noted that in the case of athletes in contact sports, the pain may not be felt immediately because of a rush of adrenaline;
- a pronounced change in the shape of the nose. This can occur not only during displacement, and during swelling;
- swelling in the nose area;
- bleeding. Sometimes the blood is so strong and fast that its very difficult to stop;
- breathing problems through the nose. Often this is due to the strong swelling;
- strong hematoma, the so-called «symptom score». And if any, it is very important to apply for computed tomography, x-ray and ultrasound of the sinuses. This symptom may indicate a cracked skull.
A serious broken nose, the lack of quality and timely treatment, can cause nasal. Read this article to get rid of this problem.
Still, injury: what to do?
Due to the fact that injuries are very common, everyone should have the slightest idea about what to do in case of injury of the nose. If the injury is small, it is enough to perform simple recommendations for first aid.
The main objective – stop blood and eliminate all the possible reasons that may contribute to its strengthening. The person who received an injury needs to calm down, not to make any sudden movements, sneeze, stop talking, etc.
For the early stop bleeding, you need to seat the patient on a chair, then slightly tip the head forward. Such steps are made to ensure that the blood can clot and have been reported in the nasopharynx.
Meanwhile, on the affected area, you need to put something cold on it. You can not apply the ice directly to the affected place, you need to put them in a plastic bag and wrap with a towel. You can also do with any product from the freezer.
If there is an injury to the nose, but you don’t have anything cold that could be attached to the damaged place, then you need to use any method available. If there is no snow, at least take a piece of fabric and every 3-5 minutes to soak it in cold water.
Do not forget that any cold object, be it a piece of ice or snow, should be wrapped in cloth. This will avoid burning. If there is full confidence that no fracture, need their own to try to stop the bleeding:
- Two fingers squeeze the halves of the nose to the nasal septum.
- In the sitting position bend your head forward.
- Pinch the nostrils and try to breathe through the nose for 5-10 minutes.
Often, when small bruises, more than enough to make even a strong flow of blood was stopped. After some time, it is better to check the features of the nose that he perceives smells as before.
What to do if the nose did not feel the smell, read here.
If the previous method did not work, you can try tamponade of the nose. The idea was to insert into the nasal passages cotton balls. It is better that they were soaked in hydrogen peroxide. Now again you have to tilt your head, after which the bleeding should soon stop.
Once the blood is stopped, the cotton swabs need to keep still for at least 30 minutes, and then moistened a little in the water are removed. In this case, it is very important to be sure that blood stops flowing through the nasopharynx.
If the above methods do not help, and the blood still does not stop, the situation may soon require professional assistance. And this must be done as quickly as possible, in order to avoid large blood loss.
After stopping the blood
Before you treat a bruise of the nose need to fully stop the bleeding. Only then it is advisable to subsequent manipulation. The first 48 hours you need to constantly apply the cold compresses. At home, you need to freeze a bottle of water and applied every 120 minutes no more than 10 minutes.
After 48 hours cold compresses are required to replace warm. For these purposes, you can use a hot water bottle or heating of the sand and put it in a bag. Such procedures should also be conducted for two days with the same interval as cold.
Performing all of these manipulations, it is possible to quickly cope with the blood loss and swelling, and eventually with injury in General. All depends on the case, but if after 4-5 days will not be noticed any positive result, it is necessary to consult a specialist.