Not breathing without nose drops: what to do after vasoconstrictive drops
What to do if the nose doesn’t breathe without drops?
A runny nose is one of the most common symptoms in the world. Everyone at one time or another suffered from rhinitis, since this condition is one of the protective reactions of the organism. Modern pharmaceuticals offers a wide range of funds, acting against the common cold.
Especially popular are nose drops. They’re OTC, very easy to use and have fast action. However, such medicines in the case of prolonged use, can lead to unexpected results. So, many citizens, frequent use of nasal drops, wonder why the nose doesn’t breathe without drops.
To explain the popularity of nasal drops among the population is quite simple.
- First, they are able to very quickly get rid of the unpleasant symptoms of rhinitis.
- Secondly, buying this type of funds there is no need to go to the doctor to get a prescription.
- Third, the nose drops quite convenient to use.
Today, pharmaceutical manufacturers produce several types of nasal drops.
The most common are the following types of data tools:
- containing antibiotics;
Eye drops vary in their composition and duration. Emit drops that are up to six, to nine and to twelve hours. Some tools begin to have an effect only after several days (e.g., adjuvants).
Since the majority of citizens consider the common cold a major problem that is not harmful to the body, and the funds from it have developed a similar attitude. Among the population common opinion about the absolute harmlessness of nasal drops. But actually it is wrong. One of the main dangers of such funds is getting used to their effects.
The reasons for not passing symptoms
Most species drops are not therapeutic tools. They are able to effectively relieve the symptoms, but not affect the cause of the disease. The most popular among the population use decongestants.
The effect of the use of these drugs occurs almost instantly (within just a few seconds) and lasts for several hours.
However, prolonged use of such drugs is dangerous. It causes addiction and dependence.
Eventually a situation arises when a person fails to restore normal breathing without the use of such funds.
Even if the main cause of the rhinitis has already been removed.
To better understand the reasons why, after vasoconstrictive drops in the nose breathing, you need to understand how there is a runny nose, and how they are affected by such means.
The occurrence of rhinitis is directly related to the expansion of blood vessels located in the nasal cavity. Due to their expansion, there is swelling that blocks the nasal passages. As a result, one cannot breathe through the nose and feel the discomfort in this body part.
Vasoconstrictor drops aimed at elimination of expansion vessel. After using these drugs the blood vessels are narrowed, the swelling is reduced or completely eliminated, nasal breathing is resumed. However, such funds can be used for a limited period of time that is specified in the instructions.
Help! Vasoconstrictor and some other types of drops can be used from three to five days, no more than seven.
Why there is a tolerance to the drops
Most of the people do not read the instructions to the drugs. As a result, they long time use, the reception of which you want to restrict. Due to this phenomenon occurs is referred to in medicine as «tachyphylaxis». Its essence lies in the rapid decline of the body’s response to a drug after its use. After increasing the dosage efficiency of the drug increased, but it exacerbates the tachyphylaxis.
Three factors are the causes of constant nasal congestion without the use of drops:
- Quick neurotransmitter release of norepinephrine, which is a response to the increased pressure in the blood vessels.
- Vasoconstrictor drops provoke dryness of the nose. For the normal functioning of the body it needs to be moistened. The body tries to compensate for dryness, releasing substances that expand blood vessels, which reduces the efficiency of vasoconstrictor drops.
- Due to the long use of such drugs impaired vascular tone. Because of this, they can’t narrow yourself, what are the causes of chronic rhinitis. As a result the patient continues to use decongestants, exacerbating the situation.
But the main reason for the development of addiction the actions of the patient. Use nose drops without limitations, it provokes reactions described above. As a result, trying to fix a new runny nose, it only aggravates the situation and complicates his situation. Sooner or later, the patient raises the question: «can’t breathe through the nose without the drops, what to do?».
How to get rid of the problem
Therapy depends on the drops is necessary because this situation can lead to serious complications. For example, in individuals who cannot breathe through the nose without drops for many years, long-term use of such drugs can develop erosion of the mucosa and perforation of the nasal septum. In addition, the consequences of this state include the hyperplasia of the nasal cavities, which leads to irreversible blockage of the nasal passages.
Therapeutic measures depend on the specific situation. In some cases it is necessary to gradually reduce the dose over several weeks, additionally washing the nasal cavity of saline twice a day. In more advanced cases is pharmacological therapy.
Your doctor may use:
- «Fluticasone». The drug has a number of side effects and is banned for use to persons suffering from viral/fungal diseases of the nasal cavity. Used twice a day (two injections in each nostril).
- «Bodysonic». Method of application and the list of side effects is the same as the previous drug.
- «Sinupret». Dosage – two pills three times a day. In the case of using drops to twenty – five drops three times a day.
- «Euphorbium». A homeopathic drug. A positive effect on the restoration of mucous membranes. Improves nasal breathing. Used several times (up to five) during the day.
Important! Additionally, the doctor prescribed Polyvitamin complexes that contain zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium and potassium. In severe cases, physical therapy.
To restore the nasal mucosa and vascular tone can be used:
- Laser therapy.
- Herbal medicine.
- The ozone therapy.
In particularly difficult cases may require surgical intervention. Doctor may resort to conducting:
- operational laser intervention.
What to do if the nose doesn’t breathe without the drops, decide doctor. First and foremost, on the choice of method of treatment is affected by the neglect of tahifilaksii and caused by development defects of the nasal cavity. The use of drugs, described above, is allowed only in case of doctor’s prescription and in the doses prescribed for them.
Traditional medicine vs depending on drops
Traditional medicine also has remedies against addiction, developed due to excessive use of nasal drops. Folk remedies to combat tachyphylaxis involve the use of natural ingredients, harmless to the body of the patient.
As a therapy you can use the following traditional methods:
- Irrigation of the nasal cavity with a solution based on propolis. For its preparation it is necessary to dissolve 0.2 grams of dried propolis in two hundred milligrams of water (you must bring it to a boil, then allow to cool). The irrigation is carried out before bedtime.
- The foot bath. The method consists in warming the feet with water, brought to a temperature of not higher than fifty degrees. Duration of one procedure is from ten to fifteen minutes.
- Burying his nose in the juice of aloe. The plant should be three years old. Mix aloe Vera juice and pure water (one part juice, two parts water). After preparation the solution should be instilled three to four times during the day. Each nostril must have five drops.
- Dripping honey. Instead of aloe you can use liquid honey. It must be mixed with water in a ratio of one to one. The frequency of instillation is the same as in the previous case.
- Irrigation of the nasal cavity with the decoction of camomile, pine buds, marigold. Enough to stir one tablespoon of one of these components in two hundred milliliters of water.
- Lubrication of the nasal passages with vegetable oils. The method is suitable to eliminate dry crusts formed in the nasal cavity.
Attention! Patients often walk in the fresh air, ventilate the room and carry out wet cleaning, i.e., to minimize the factors leading to the formation of mucus in the nose.
Nasal congestion, not without intermittent drops, is a consequence of the development of dependence on these funds. Excessive and uncontrolled use of nasal drops leads to a gradual decrease in their efficiency and the development of tahiphylacsii.
The complex of therapeutic measures for treatment of these problems consists of administration of specific medications and physiotherapy. In very advanced cases may require surgical intervention. There are also traditional methods of therapy based on.