Dexamethasone eye drops: manual, price, reviews, analogs
Dexamethasone is anti-inflammatory drug, which is similar to corticosteroid hormones. It is applied in ophthalmology as a local instillation. Dexamethasone effectively inhibits the development of any inflammatory reaction, including allergic (it develops in predisposed individuals with hypersensitivity to particular allergens). The main indications for the use of this ophthalmic drug are the following:
- acute and chronic diseases of all structures of the eyeball;
- allergic processes of the eye;
- prophylactic use in postoperative period and after a traumatic eye injury to avoid adverse reactions associated with the development of inflammation;
- chemical burns and other clinical situations in which the developing inflammatory response.
The mechanism of therapeutic action of the drug similar to that have the hormones of the adrenal cortex (corticosteroids) in vivo. It is associated with the suppression of the activity of immune cells, decrease the synthesis of proinflammatory mediators, and influence on other parts of the inflammatory response, including alteration (stage of inflammation, which is accompanied by damage of cells and tissues). The duration of the positive result from the use of Dexamethasone is equal to 4-8 hours, which determines the intervals between instillation. It is important to note that the active substance penetrates well into any of the structures of the eye, and this ability increases on the background of tissue damage (so your doctor can reduce the daily or single dose of the drug depending on the nature of the pathological process).
The composition and form of issue
The drug Dexamethasone presented the same substance that determines the therapeutic activity of this drug. But to maintain these properties for a long time there are also accessories that are included in the prescription. These include the following:
- benzalkonium chloride (it can enter into chemical interaction with soft contact lenses, causing blurred);
- sterile water used as a solvent for all components;
- boric acid.
Dexamethasone comes in the form of eye drops. They can be packaged in plastic bottles fitted with a dropper and glass, which require the use of specially wear tip for instillation. One vial contains 5 ml of eye drops. This amount is usually sufficient for treatment.
Method of application
Method of application ophthalmology products Dexamethasone based on the following recommendations:
- use only as directed by your doctor;
- buried in konyunktivalny cavity without touching the structures of the eye and other objects, to avoid infection of the contents of the bottle;
- once instilliruut one or two drops;
- during the day, have to dig three to five times;
- the duration of treatment should be discussed with your ophthalmologist as it depends on the nature of the disease and pathological condition;
- if you experience any unexplained symptoms should consult an ophthalmologist before the appointed time.
Contraindications are taken into account before treatment. Them finds out the doctor, and if they are, then Dexamethasone is replaced by another drug with a similar mechanism of action. The main situations when the treatment with this drug should be avoided, are the following:
- viral diseases of the eye, as they can be activated;
- fungal diseases (for the same reason);
- tuberculosis ocular structures (for the same reason);
- acute purulent inflammation of the eyeball;
- individual intolerance of any chemical in this product.
If in the treatment of eye drops of Dexamethasone, appear certain side effects, you should consult with your doctor. We can talk about the following signs:
- the itching and burning sensation after instillation;
- blurred vision;
- a secondary increase in intraocular pressure prolonged use of the drug;
- clouding of the lens.
Important! Prolonged use of Dexamethasone you should regularly visit the ophthalmologist to measure intraocular pressure, and assess the condition of the lens.
Special instructions in treatment according to the ophthalmic drug is:
- only be used after doctor’s appointments;
- store under certain conditions (month and year respectively in open and closed form);
- do not exceed the single and daily doses and duration of treatment.
Alla, 55 years
«It is well known that age health does not add. Began to notice that blood vessels in her eyes burst, and they become red. When you visit the doctor it was discovered a disease such as chronic scleritis, and he prescribed me eye drops Dexamethasone. When I began to use this tool, the eye became normal in a few hours. I would like to note the effectiveness of Dexamethasone».
Michael, 34 years
«At work he injured his eye by the corner of the paper. Eyes sore when moving, and closing. Appeared swelling. The pharmacy has recommended Dexamethasone. The drug helped for 1 day. Swelling and pain are gone. I drops helped.»
Ludmila, 28 years
«Our baby eye drops Dexamethasone doctor prescribed in adenoviral conjunctivitis. They are well removed redness from the eyes and effectively coped with the disease.»
Some analogues of Dexamethasone have similar anti-inflammatory effect. They can relate to the group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and be representatives of the hormones. The main counterparts are:
- Diklo f and others.
However, the replacement of one ophthalmic funds for other should not be done individually. It is imperative to discuss the situation with your doctor, because each drug has its contraindications.
Price eye remedy Dexamethasone is in the range of 30 to 100 rubles depending on the pharmacy that implements it.