Pilocarpine eye drops: manual, price, reviews, analogs
Pilocarpine ophthalmic is a drug based on the alkaloids. It is used to treat glaucoma (elevated intraocular pressure), narrowing of the pupil and examination of the organ of vision, and also as the antidote to an overdose of drugs that enhance the pupil.
Pilocarpine demonstrates high efficiency both in the form of open-angle glaucoma and angle-closure. This is due to the following therapeutic effects of this drug:
- facilitate outflow of aqueous humor;
- constriction of the pupil;
- the increase in the iridocorneal angle.
The maximum concentration of pilocarpine hydrochloride in the intraocular fluid is observed in a half-hour after instillation. This substance penetrates well into the corneal shell and is quite easily penetrates all structures of the eye.
The composition and form of issue
The main active ingredient is Pilocarpine hydrochloride pilocarpine, which is derived from the plant pilocarpus (which gave the name to this product). In addition, the composition of the medicinal product are excipients that serve as preservatives, stabilizers and solvents. In addition, they can be responsible for the development of side effects.
These substances are the following:
- the polyvinyl alcohol;
- benzalkonium chloride;
- citric acid and its compound with sodium;
- the sterile water.
The drug is available in plastic bottles fitted with a dropper. This makes very convenient the use of this medication. One vial contains 5 ml of eye drops.
Method of application
Method of applying ophthalmic drug is Pilocarpine, depending on the clinical situation. So, for treatment of permanently elevated intraocular pressure (chronic glaucoma), use the following mode:
- the dose is one drop in each eye;
- during the day, buried from 2 to 6 times, given the length of the half-life of the drug;
- the duration of treatment is determined individually by the ophthalmologist.
Treatment of acute attack of glaucoma is a different scheme, which provides for rapid development of therapeutic effect, because the delay is fraught with serious complications.
In this case, the use of Pilocarpine as follows:
- dose still is one drop;
- the first 2 hours, the drug should be instilled every 14 minutes;
- the next 2 hours – every 30 minutes;
- and another 2 hours – once per hour.
The main contraindications of the application of the Pilocarpine must be abandoned are the following:
- children’s age;
- iritis and iridocyclitis, when in any case it is impossible to prevent pupil constriction;
- postoperative period, which should not be accompanied by contraction of the pupil;
- the presence of a detachment of the retina of various origins, including after her treatment;
- nearsightedness (myopia) high degree;
- individual intolerance to the components of ophthalmic drug, which is observed only in a small number of patients.
In most patients, the drug is well tolerated. However, in some cases, it can lead to the development of side effects. They may involve such features as:
- redness of the eyes;
- swelling it;
- slight pain in the eye for a short time;
- blurred vision, especially in dark and twilight time;
- increased ketoprofene.
Sometimes you may experience systemic side effects which are associated with the receipt of medicines into the bloodstream:
- narrowing of the bronchial tree and the development of respiratory insufficiency;
- cardiac activity;
- the appearance of watery discharge from the nose;
- the production of saliva in large quantity.
In the process of treatment with Pilocarpine should follow special instructions. They are as follows:
Irina, 47 years
«I drop Pilocarpine is instilled to decrease intraocular pressure in glaucoma, the prescription of a doctor. Our drug like how to cope, but there is a side effect. Noticed that after applying a headache and the colors were less bright».
Alina, 35 years
«I Pilocarpine eye drops ophthalmologist appointed dripping to lower eye pressure. Pressure, they lower, but after their instillation I have a very lent pupils. Only when dripped in one eye, it looks creepy. Plus the drug that the price he is available and can be purchased in any pharmacy».
The basic analogs that can be substituted for Pilocarpine, if any, are as follows:
- Drops fotil;
The price of ophthalmic drug Pilocarpine is from 30 to 50 rubles, so all the patients in whom it is assigned, you can buy this medicine. The difference in price is associated with a different pricing policy of a particular pharmacy network.