Potassium iodide eye drops: manual, price, reviews, analogs
Potassium iodide is an ophthalmic drug that has a complex action:
Therefore, the indications for its application is quite extensive, it is one of the main reasons is the treatment of cataract.
Also it should be used in such conditions as:
- change the transparency of the cornea;
- change the transparency of the vitreous body;
- hemophthalmus, that is, the presence of hemorrhages in the structures of the eye.
The composition and form of issue
The ophthalmic composition of Potassium Iodate present a namesake of the active component. In addition, there are ancillary components that perform the functions of a stabilizer and preservative. They are present only in those drops, which are prepared for production. These substances include the following:
- sodium chloride;
- sodium thiosulfate.
These components can cause reactions of intolerance. So the drug prepared in the pharmacy without their use, is an excellent alternative, as it will travel much better.
The form of release of the drug Potassium iodide made in the production of plastic bottle fitted with a dropper. It has a volume of 10 ml, in addition, it is convenient to carry. The drug, made by prescription, is typically packaged in glass bottles, which you must put on a drip.
Method of application
Method of using drops of Potassium iodide as follows:
- be sure to wash your hands before burying;
- the dose is one or two drops in each eye;
- during instillation to delay the eyelid is not necessary, and not to touch the eyes and foreign objects in order to avoid infection of the vial;
- the multiplicity of treatments, four times per day;
- the duration of treatment should not exceed 2 weeks, if necessary, it should continue to use the drug with similar mechanism of action.
The chemical composition of the drug results in a certain original list of contraindications to its use. The main ones are:
With extreme caution the drug should be used during pregnancy, as not fully understood all of its effects on the fetoplacental complex.
Side effects that can occur:
- a slight burning sensation, which runs its own;
- reactions allergic nature on the background of prolonged use of the drug (an allergen is the iodine).
The latter is manifested by the following features:
- redness of the eyes;
- increased production of tear fluid;
- swelling of the eyelids;
- dermatitis around the eyes.
Special instructions to be followed in the treatment of Potassium iodide:
«Eye drops, Potassium iodide I was buried in cataract. Since I have seen the result.»
Anna, 34 years
«It is the doctor prescribed with redness and cramps in the eyes. A week buried as prescribed by your doctor, the discomfort passed. The drops helped me. The price they have consistent quality».
Analogues of Potassium iodide are used when there is intolerance to this drug and when it is necessary to strengthen the therapeutic effect for the treatment of cataract. All of these tools have a similar but not completely identical effect. Besides, unlike Potassium iodide, they are multi-component chemical structure. Those drugs include:
- The emoxipin;
- Ujala and others.
The price of the drug Potassium iodide from 100 to 200 rubles. It depends on the pharmacy network, where it is implemented. So, some pharmacies prepare it yourself, accordingly it is cheaper compared to prepared to manufacture drugs. However, the expiration date of such means will be less.