Timolol eye drops: manual, price, reviews, analogs
Timolol is a drug for the treatment of glaucoma, which is successfully applied in ophthalmology. It belongs to the pharmacological group, which is represented by a non-selective beta-blockers. The main mechanism of action is suppression of aqueous humor formation, which determines the level of intraocular pressure. Also inherent in such property as a slight improvement of the outflow of intraocular fluid. In General the drug is well-tolerated, minimal side effects when used and high efficiency.
The composition and form of issue
The main active ingredient of the ophthalmic drug timolol is the same chemical compound. Also the drug is presented and auxiliary components, each of which performs a specific function. These substances include:
- benzalkonium chloride;
- sterile water as the universal solvent;
- compounds of sodium phosphate and dodecahydrate.
The drug is available in the form of eye drops. They are packaged in a plastic bottle equipped with dropper. One vial contains 5 ml solution of timolol, which has two concentrations 2.5% and 5%.
Method of application
Basic rules for applying eye drops is Timolol as follows:
- the dose is one drop;
- it is instilled in each eye, as glaucoma can occur usually bilateral involvement;
- during the day the need for this drug is 2 times. It’s saturating the dosing regimen. After normalization of intraocular pressure you should go on maintenance mode, which means a single instillation of the drug throughout the day, given its long half-life.
Contraindications must be considered before ka treatment is started, because it is fraught with serious complications. This can only be done by a doctor, which is why self-medication with Timolol absolutely unacceptable. These contraindications are associated with the ability of the system revenues of the drug. The main ones are the following:
- patients aged less than 18 years of age;
- pregnant women;
- nursing mothers;
- patients who have hypersensitivity to the drug component;
- heart rhythm disorders;
- violations of bronchial obstruction on the background of various diseases of the respiratory system;
- dystrophic lesion of the corneal membrane;
- violations of cerebral circulation, etc.
During treatment may appear certain side effects of the drug. In this case, you should consult with your ophthalmologist to decide whether you can continue to use Timolol. The main side effects are:
- double vision;
- a feeling of irritation;
- pain during instillation;
- increased sensitivity to light, etc.
Treatment with Timolol involves adherence to certain recommendations, namely:
Positive. Timolol is well-established in the treatment of glaucoma. It lowers intraocular pressure in this disease. The price drops are available.
Negative. Some buyers noted that they the tool did not fit. Dripped for 1.5 months, and the pressure inside the eye has not decreased, as required. So many wonder, is it worth it to apply so long?
Analog drugs Timolol substitute in cases when its use is either undesirable or impossible. Main drugs-analogues that can be used to replace Timolol, are as follows:
- Drops fotil;
The cost Timolol ranges from 20-50 rubles, depending on the pharmacy network, which produces its implementation.