Oxolinic ointment in pregnancy: instructions for use, in the early stages
Can I use Oxolinic ointment during pregnancy?
Waiting the birth of a child is the most important and crucial period in a woman’s life, unfortunately, he is not without «surprises». The immune system of the expectant mother experiences a heavy load and not always cope with the flow of the body attacking viruses that can cause different issues, from rhinitis to warts on the skin. Viral rhinitis in pregnant women – the phenomenon frequent and unpleasant.
To treat this problem is necessary, but the situation is complicated by the fact that most synthetic medicines are not suitable for this category of women. In this case, the preferred means for local applications, which are not absorbed in the blood therefore does not have systemic effects on the body. In particular, many women are interested in the question «can pregnant women smear nose Oxolinic ointment? «– try to understand.
General information about the drug
Oksolina, on the basis of which is made the ointment of the same name, refers to synthetic antiviral products for local and external use, is used most often in otorhinolaryngology and dermatology. This substance is particularly effective against the causative agents of influenza, herpes and adenoviruses. Use ointment for bacterial infections unnecessarily and useless.
This tool has been proven in seasons of high incidence of influenza. The local application of 0.25% ointment on the mucous membrane of the nose it creates a protective barrier through which the virus can penetrate the body and be retained at the level of the nasal cavity.
This is based on the preventive effect of the drug. If the person is already sick, the Oxoline, with regular use, reduces the activity of viruses in the upper respiratory system, facilitates the patient’s condition and prevents the development of prolonged cold.
Indications for use of 0,25% Oxolinic ointment:
- treatment of rhinitis of viral origin;
- preventive measures during the influenza epidemic;
- treatment of viral stomatitis, conjunctivitis and keratitis (in the complex events).
More concentrated 3% ointment is applied topically for the treatment of various viral diseases of the skin, for example warts. Oksolina freely dispensed in pharmacies and does not require a prescription from a doctor for many years, he enjoys popularity among the population due to the low cost and availability.
In addition, the drug has virtually no contraindications except hypersensitivity to the active substance. This means that you can use Oxolinic ointment during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The safety case
Practitioners quite often suggest expectant mothers to use the tool for the prevention of influenza and SARS, as they believe the drug is safe.
This position is substantiated by years of observation of patients.
The oxoline has a long history of use among different generations of women, so conclusions were drawn about its safety for mother and fetus.
About the safety of Oxolinic ointment in pregnancy instructions for use contains no information. This is due to lack of clinical trial results – future mothers they are held for moral reasons.
In such cases, the producers are forced to indicate to the user that the use of the drug is possible only when the expected benefits of treatment exceeds potential risk to the fetus. This is dictated by the simple necessity of compliance with the international quality standards to manufacture pharmaceuticals.
What is the impact of the use of Oxolinic ointment during pregnancy in the early stages and later:
- 1 trimester (12 weeks) – intensive laying of the organs of the unborn child, at this time should be very accurately suited to the use of any safe medications, possible Allergy to the components included in the composition;
- 2 trimester (from 12 to 26 weeks) the fetus is almost formed, applying creams will not bring harm, on the contrary, can enhance the effectiveness of the protective barrier of the mother’s body from hitting a viral infection;
- 3 trimester (after 26 weeks) the fetus is already formed, so the use of synthetic drugs, including Oxolinic ointment safely.
Method of application
Any medication must be applied strictly in accordance with instructions to obtain the maximum possible positive result. Ointment Oksolina of 0.25% nasal is used in the following way:
- For prophylaxis is recommended to grease the inside of each nostril three times daily a day for the entire period of increased incidence of influenza and SARS (about a month). With the medical purpose the tool is used within 3-4 days.
- When applying, you must act carefully without damaging the nasal mucosa.
- Amount of ointment to one of the nostrils should not be too large so as not to impede nasal breathing (about a small pea).
- Best is to use a cotton ear stick, with which the ointment is introduced into the nostril, then lightly rubbed it into the mucosa.
- The application of the ointment is best done after the liberation of the nasal passages of mucus by bismarkian and washing with water (physiological solution). Vasoconstrictor nose drops before you apply.
- Store the mixture in a cool place (on the wall in the fridge) after the expiration date do not use.
Attention! Expectant mothers are recommended Oxolinic ointment prophylactically during periods of increased influenza – greasing the nose is necessary before going out into the street, before visiting the clinics and other public places. After returning home the remains of the ointment must be washed off immediately with running water or saline solution, then blow your nose.
Like any drugs, Oxolinic ointment can have side-effects, but they cannot be classified as a threat.
Mostly patients reported a slight tingling sensation (tingling and burning) on the nasal mucosa immediately after applying the ointment.
This sometimes may increase separation of mucus from the nasal passages.
These symptoms usually last a short time (a few seconds) and tested independently, withdrawal of the drug is not required.
If pregnant women suspect on the appearance of other complications associated with Oxolinic ointment, the drug treatment is necessary to stop and inform your doctor. In rare cases may develop allergic reaction to the components included in the composition of ointments.
Important! Tools such as Oxolinic ointment are considered safe, however, to avoid the appearance of complications because of an Allergy, individual intolerance or unwarranted drug prescription, before applying them you need to consult with a specialist.
We all know, any disease is easier to prevent than to deal with it.
This is especially true of women during pregnancy, when many medicines cannot be used, and the immune system is unable to cope with the increased load, for example, from viral attacks.
Kill the virus inside cells is extremely difficult, it is unlikely that the power of ointments for topical application.
But to prevent infection or stop already caught the infection of the upper respiratory tract is likely.
What can we advise mothers? In a period of increased incidence of influenza and SARS not to visit public places and avoid contact with sick people daily to rinse the nose with salt water and use in recommended quantities Oxolinic ointment.