Persistent allergic rhinitis: symptoms and treatment what it is
What is persistent allergic rhinitis and how to treat it?
Persistent allergic rhinitis in children and adults is a serious chronic disease. The symptoms occur year-round. If common cold is an implicit expression of symptoms, this form of rhinitis is expressed in the form of stuffiness in the nasal passages, the permanent allocation of the mucous secret, as well as frequent sneezing. With the progression of the disease, there was a strong inflammation in the mucosa, which leads to dysfunction of the sense of smell.
The symptoms and treatment of persistent allergic rhinitis largely depends on the immune system of the patient and his lifestyle. To determine the main factors of the formation of this type of rhinitis is necessary to consult with your doctor. After research and testing, the specialist will be able to plan the impact on the disease. In the absence of medical treatment of the patient there is a risk of rhinitis with increased frequency, regardless of the season.
Characteristics of the disease
Persistent allergic rhinitis is a chronic disease occurring in the mucosa of the nasal passages. The disease can last for up to nine months of the year and cause painful symptoms, so it is important to diagnose the disease and take necessary measures on elimination of symptoms of the disease. Code according to ICD-10 persistent allergic rhinitis — J30.
Features of the formation of persistent allergic rhinitis may not be as obvious as, for example, in the case of acute rhinitis infectious nature. However, constantly stuffy nose and lack of nasal breathing cause the patient less discomfort. With the progression of a cold, the patient feels a dysfunction of the sense of smell and a strong inflammatory process in the mucosa.
The reason for this process lies in the presence of a strong allergen in the environment. The process is diminished if the allergen is in close proximity with the patient. The most powerful stimuli is considered to be dandruff and pet hair, pollen, smell of flowers, mold, some foods, dust mites.
To external factors, which also are frequent instigators of inflammation include insects and the pollen and dust. In rare cases, the cause of this type of rhinitis is in a professional environment.
Important! If the patient is working in the field, where the nasal cavity is plagued with many harmful chemicals, activities better to change.
Other reasons for the emergence of persistent allergic rhinitis include exposure to flour, cement dust, glue, latex.
The disease can appear at any age, but most often from this form of rhinitis suffer little children.
How is the disease
Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose due to constant exposure to allergens in each case flows through the individual clinical picture. The disease is manifested in any time of the year, and its severity depends on the type of pathogen rhinitis and degree of contact.
There is the following characterization of rhinitis:
- The low degree of inflammation, during which the patient has virtually no symptoms of rhinitis or expressed in a weak form.
- In the case of persistent allergic rhinitis of moderate severity, the patient observes the inflammatory process in the mucosa. Such a phase is formed the patient discomfort, disturbed sleep, is the swelling of tissues. At this stage the patient loses efficiency, can not do physical exercise.
- The most dangerous is a severe form of the disease. In this form the patient is suffering from a lack of sleep, suffering from cough, shortness of breath, inflammation of not only the nasal cavity, and throat. In extreme situations, the disease affects the bronchial-pulmonary system.
Important! In all phases the patient should receive comprehensive treatment. Otherwise there is a risk of inflammation of the lungs and bronchi.
The symptoms of persistent allergic rhinitis are not apparent immediately, that is, the disease is characterized by a long development. The first thing the patient observes the congestion in the nasal passages and respiratory failure. Such signs remain active for two or three hours a day and the total duration can last for about a month.
Subsequently, the patient is disturbed night sleep that greatly affects daily activity. The patient becomes lethargic, tired and irritable. It is often plagued by fits of coughing and sneezing, and profuse mucous discharge from the nose.
In the course of diagnosing and identifying symptoms much depends on the form of the disease. In the exudative stage manifest the following symptoms:
- frequent sneezing;
- watery discharge;
- itching and burning of the mucous membranes;
- nasal congestion, worse in the evening;
- the development of inflammation of the eye;
Daytime symptoms may be reduced, but evident deterioration of health.
If the patient was diagnosed with obstructive form, the symptoms are as follows:
- minor sneezing, which does not exhaust the patient’s condition as in the first case;
- the formation of thick secretions;
- constant congestion in the nasal passages;
- equally strong symptoms both day and night.
It should be noted that in the obstructive nature of the disease, the symptoms are less pronounced.
In addition to these symptoms of persistent allergic rhinitis is characterized by the fact that often causes inflammation of chronic diseases in the region of the respiratory tract. In addition, this type of rhinitis is becoming the primary cause of infectious diseases. Often persistent allergic rhinitis causes acute otitis media, sinusitis and pharyngitis.
In order to determine the beginning of the development of this type of rhinitis is necessary to pass clinical and laboratory examination. Main diagnosis are the tests and rhinoscopy, inspection of the nasal cavity via endoscopy and swab from the mucous membrane.
Based on the data and analysis of the level of fat cells and eosinophils, the doctor identifies the degree of development of the disease. To Refine the information received and final diagnosis, the patient should undergo a CT scan and x-rays.
The hardest part of therapy for persistent rhinitis is the correct diagnosis. The impact of the disease is complex and systematically, so after consultation with the doctor should immediately begin medical treatment. In the course of therapy, it is important to know the type of allergen and eliminate the irritant.
To get rid of persistent rhinitis is necessary to carry out the following manipulation:
- Daily spend wet cleaning not only in the sleeping area, but also throughout the apartment.
- Install in a living room humidifier and keep the moisture level was not less than sixty percent.
- Remove all large items from the room, including large soft toys, carpets, cushions.
- If the cause of inflammation is fungus, Pets or plants necessary to exclude the allergen as quickly as possible.
- Don’t forget to change bed sheets and bedding every three days.
These methods will not rid you of inflammation, but will help to reduce the severity of symptoms.
In a medical treatment of persistent rhinitis include antihistamines and various corticosteroids. The standard method of targeting inflammation as follows:
- To reduce the severity of symptoms of the disease are appointed antihistamines – «Zyrtec», «Suprastin», «Aerius», «Adelstein», «Tavegil», «Effective».
- For local use the necessary drugs from the group of glucocorticosteroids. It is best to use the drug «Beclomethasone». It’s approved to treat adults and children five years of age.
- To reduce signs of inflammation in the mucosa are assigned «Abisil», «Ambene», «Methyluracil», «Mesulid», «Naproxen-akri», «Aspirin Cardio» and others.
- To reduce the amount of discharge and to restore nasal breathing is necessary vasoconstrictor drops «Tizin», «Otrivin», «Naphazoline», «Nazivin», «Xylitol».
- Before using nasal, it is recommended to rinse the nasal passages with the following firstgov –»Aqualor», «Humer», «Physiomer», «Dolphin», «no-Sol», «Aqua Maris».
- To reduce the development of cholinergic stimulation prescribed «Ipratropium bromide».
- For blocking leukotriene receptors should be used «Zafirlukast» or «Montelukast».
Remember! In the course of treatment for persistent allergic rhinitis is not included antibacterial therapy.
The whole course of treatment lasts up to three months. After that you need to take a break or to replace drugs counterparts. Ignoring the rules will lead to the formation of drug rhinitis.
To get rid of persistent rhinitis for all impossible, so when remission of the disease need to engage in prevention. It is important to maintain hygiene of the body, do not forget to change the bedding, use antihistamines and avoid contact with allergens.