Pus from nose: causes and treatment purulent discharge with odor
How to get rid of pus in the nose?
Purulent snot can occur due to dangerous diseases such as purulent rhinitis or sinusitis. Pathology is characterized by additional symptoms, in particular, appears sickly smell from the nose, that gives a lot of inconvenience and discomfort.
Such a state obstructs their way of life that makes headaches and excessive fatigue. Foul odor is not the norm. This condition needs prompt treatment. On this ground many have question about how to get rid of the pus in the nose.
Why pus flows from the nose?
Causes of purulent mucus are often diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Such diseases are often complications of influenza or SARS. With insufficient or incorrect treatment of the common cold selection become purulent. Looks like pus from the nose, you can see in the photo below.
The infection is caused by pathogenic microbes and bacteria. With the lack of treatment they begin to actively proliferate and become the cause of deterioration of the upper respiratory tract.
There are the following causes of pus in nose:
- Sinusitis is an acute suppuration of the sinuses. Usually the disease occurs in people with chronic changes of the nasal cavity. To cause the progression of the disease can polyps, chronic or allergic rhinitis. An unpleasant odor and a flowing yellow pus from the nose. The disease is not serious and goes away on its own. Important timely skilled care of a physician.
- Sinusitis is a suppuration of the maxillary sinuses. Appear, the disease may, if untreated, rhinitis, colds. Sometimes the cause is a caries. Due to congestion in the maxillary sinuses begins to accumulate mucus. After that, going purulent fluid. When sinusitis is increased body temperature, start the headaches. When bending forward pain is much worse. Patient feels extreme weakness. Selection can enter the throat and lungs.
- Etmoidit is a suppurative process in the mucosa of the ethmoid labyrinth. Disease causing swelling, pain around and between the eyes. Comes the stuffy nose, the scent disappears partially. Appear purulent snot with an unpleasant odor.
- Purulent sinusitis is a suppuration of the frontal sinuses. When the disease patient suffers from severe headache. There is a heaviness in the forehead.
- Steroidit is suppuration of the sphenoid sinuses. This disease is not as common. Is accompanied with pain in the ears, neck and top of head. From the nasal cavity begins to leak pus with unpleasant odor.
- Purulent rhinitis is inflammation of the nasal mucosa. The disease is not as dangerous as sinusitis, but good consequences for themselves does not carry. This type of rhinitis occurs due to the irritation of the microbes. The infection is very contagious, so most likely infected children in kindergartens.
- Foreign object. Congestion and pus in the nose of the child concerned round the clock. The bacteria that are in the foreign body, begin to irritate the mucosa and contribute to the appearance of ichor and pungent smell.
- Purulent sore throat may be accompanied by snot with a pungent odor. Especially it is felt at the opening of the abscess.
Important! With the appearance of purulent mucus, it is recommended to consult a specialist to obtain competent advice, so as not to exacerbate the course of disease.
The cause of inflammation may also become a regular suppuration of boils — inflammation of the hair follicles begins to stand out a purulent fluid. In addition to all of these reasons, snot pus can be observed on the background of tonsillitis or pharyngitis. In this case, the nasopharynx is marked purulent taste.
Diagnostics at the ENT includes the following activities:
- execution of clinical and laboratory tests;
- survey and crops with the blood level of immune bodies;
- analysis of mucus from the nose.
The specialist is define the root causes of the formation of purulent secretions, the type of stimulus and its reaction to the antibiotics. After receiving all the necessary data is assigned adequate treatment.
The treatment of septic pathologies
Treatment of the above pathologies is complex. Any medical treatment can be connected to the cure at home. In this case, recipes of traditional medicine will help to bring the pus from the nose. All treatment options before applying them should be agreed with your doctor.
Attention! Do not attempt to pick up the antibiotics, increasing the risk of complications.
To reduce swelling of the nasal mucosa is usually prescribed vasoconstrictive medication. In case of inflammation of the prescribed antihistamines, which relieve Allergy symptoms.
Perhaps the use of the sprays having in its composition the corticosteroids. This substance that promptly stop the suppurative process. After their application significantly increases the level of immune protection.
Such medications are allowed only if the symptoms last for at least 4 weeks, and other therapies do not give the desired result. Also, these medicines are shown in the case of polyps formed in the nasal cavity and severe edema of the mucous membrane.
In diseases of viral etiology prescribers:
- The doctor.
In the case of bacterial infections, the patient shows:
Among a vasoconstrictor, relieving the swelling and promotes the removal of pus, noted:
- I suffered;
Effective addition to medical therapy may serve as a folk medicine.
Treatment of purulent nasal discharge with odor is possible with the following recipes:
- Nose drops. In equal proportions mix the juice of the blue bulbs melted honey and juice of potatoes. Store medication in the refrigerator only. Instill 2-3 drops into each nostril three times a day.
- Nasal rinses. For washing of the nasopharynx is possible to use water mixed with beet juice. If beet not, you can replace the lemon.
- Gadgets. In a container put 3 Bay leaves and cover with water, bring to the boil and leave to cool. A tissue moisten in the resulting drug and applied to the forehead and bridge of nose.
- Inhalation of steam of boiled potatoes good for purulent diseases. This requires that you boil the potatoes in their skins and breathe on it for 10 minutes. Also to combat the pus can grate the horseradish and breathe on it for 5 minutes. In a day the patient will feel significant improvement.
This is the most common and effective recipes that can be applied in the complex therapy.
The operation is performed only in the most extreme case, when none of the methods does not give any result. In case of sinusitis the most effective way is to puncture of the maxillary sinus. With this operation, eliminate the pus and injected drugs in already cleared cavity.
The procedure is performed under the following indications:
- body temperature above 38 °C;
- from the sinuses secretes mucus;
- the patient’s symptoms are observed for more than 3 weeks;
- not helped by conservative treatment;
- when the head tilts, the person feels severe pain expander nature.
Readings can be based on personal opinion. Therefore, it is crucial to seek help.
The basis of preventive measures are the observance of the principles of a healthy lifestyle, proper nutrition, healthy sleep.
To avoid the spread of pathogens is possible, observing the following rules:
- Isolation of the patient from society, as the infection is contagious. The patient needs to be treated in hospital or to have a separate room of the house.
- Use only a separate bowl, one wash with disinfectants.
- To conduct daily wet cleaning.
- Constantly ventilate the area.
- In the case of a patient severe stage of the disease the room should be disinfected with quartz lamps.
Prevention of disease is the careful attitude towards their health. It lies in timely treatment to the doctor, the diagnosis, and compliance with all recommendations of the doctor.
From the above we can summarize that purulent diseases represent a serious threat to human health. The appearance of pus from the nose occurs for many reasons. The purpose of effective treatment is possible only after establishing the root cause of the disease.
A self test to do is strongly discouraged. Timely treatment in the clinic will help to avoid a lot of consequences.