Runny snot and teething in children: Komorowski
How to treat runny nose while teething?
Many parents noted the appearance of snot and nasal congestion your child is in the period when he was teething. They are interested in the issues – can lay the nose while teething and how to soothe the baby? If in addition to mucus secretion from the nose, redness, swelling of the gums and irritable condition, baby don’t care, the cold is not a symptom of any pathology.
But in some cases, when you start to grow teeth, children can easily fall ill with colds, also accompanied by a runny nose, as the child’s immune system during this period, weakened. Here you need to take the necessary measures to cure the snot from a baby.
Causes of runny nose while teething
When teething in children runny nose appears due to two reasons:
- Decrease in immunity. Usually, the first teeth of the infant start to grow after six months of life. By this age, antibodies to viruses and bacteria passed to the baby in the womb from the mother are beginning to fade and his defenses of the body weaken. So the child can easily get sick with a cold accompanied by a runny nose.
- Physiology. Teething causes inflammation of the gums, which is considered physiological. Blood begins to actively circulate through the blood vessels not only in the gums but also in nearby tissues, which include the mucosa of the nose. As a result of this process is the swelling of the nasal cavity, which begins to produce more mucous secretions. The appearance of bubbles in such a period is considered normal.
How long a cold lasts teething? If the snot is caused by physiological factor, it is normal that they disappear after 3-5 days, but may occasionally appear, while growing a tooth.
This condition does not cause discomfort to the baby. Discharge is transparent and watery.
But if the teething and the runny nose is accompanied by copious secretion of mucus, which are not held for a long time, and acquires a yellow, green or white in color, it indicates a cold disease that must be treated. Otherwise there is a risk of negative consequences for the child’s body.
Attention! Most often children get sick of SARS and influenza during the eruption of the canines and posterior teeth, mainly in the cold season.
The eruption of the teeth, accompanied by a runny nose, which appeared due to physiological peculiarities of children’s organism. Is with the following symptoms:
- the presence of a watery discharge from the nasal cavity;
- increased salivation;
- minor loss of appetite;
- watery eyes;
- irritability, tearfulness, restless sleep;
- attempt rubbing the nose, gums, ears;
- a slight increase in body temperature to 37 degrees;
- the appearance of liquid stools;
- in rare cases, the appearance of cough.
How to treat a runny nose with teething in children?
The appearance of mucus in a child during the period of growth of teeth, you need to consult a specialist to determine the cause of their formation. If mucous discharge from the nose came as a result of physiology, some doctors recommend to observe and implement the following activities.
- Ensuring normal humidity in the house. The apartment should not be too hot as this nasal mucosa may become dry, leading to nasal congestion, the Optimal humidity in the home should be 45% and the temperature does not exceed 25 degrees. Read more here.
- Lavage of the nasal cavity. The procedure for small children to do with a pipette. Irrigation solution can be purchased at the pharmacy, will fit the following tools: «Aqualor», «Dolphin», «Akvamaris», and normal saline. It is worth noting that in the nose such drugs must be dug in accordance with the enclosed instructions and doctor’s appointments.
- The removal of mucus from the nose. To facilitate nasal breathing, you need to suck the discharge from the nasal cavity. This can be done with a special children’s aspirator for nose or pear-syringe.
Very often when teething baby appear crisp in the nose, when secreted mucus dries up and sticks to the walls. They also impede the free nasal breathing. Before to remove them, you need to moisten the nasal cavity using a special saline solution. Then gently remove the crust. This procedure should be done as they occur.
Important! Not in this cold to dig baby decongestants (drops, sprays) because they can cause dryness and increased swelling of the mucous membrane.
If snot appeared due to colds or flu at a time when they began to cut teeth, they will be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- high body temperature up to 39-40 degrees;
- a sluggish state and unwillingness to play and frolic;
- loss of appetite;
- release a thick mucus, yellow or green.
Also, if the background of teething appeared drowsiness, shortness of breath, frequent cough, cramps, wheezing, an urgent need to visit a specialist, who after necessary examination will prescribe appropriate therapy. Self-medication in this case is unacceptable.
Tips Dr. Komarovsky
A well-known pediatrician Komarovskiy E. O. confirms that when you begin to cut teeth, the child may appear cold. It may not deliver the child discomfort and can occur unnoticed and can cause irritable and restless condition of the baby.
E. O. Komarovsky offers to treat runny nose while teething as follows:
- The elimination of gingivitis. For this you can use anti-inflammatory gels and antiseptic («Kamistad», «Kalgel»). If in the period when teething symptoms runny nose do not go for a long time, doctors prescribed antibiotics and antiviral drugs recommended teething.
- Drink plenty of liquids. The child needs daily drink 1-1,5 liters of warm fluids. So the body of the baby to endure this period.
- If severe nasal congestion is allowed the instillation of a vasoconstrictor. Their use should not exceed 3-5 days.
- To stay in bed. During the eruption of the teeth, due to difficulty of nasal breathing, the child may sleep poorly, which affects its overall condition. It is therefore important to provide him with the right routine.
- If you need to give the child vitamin drugs that strengthen the body’s defenses.
- Commit to regular walks. Fresh air helps to strengthen children’s immunity.
Such recommendations Komarovsky V. E. will help reduce the unpleasant symptoms of runny nose with teething and reduce the risk of developing colds. The emergence of mucus in a child during growth of teeth is a normal phenomenon.
It is important not to confuse a runny nose caused by anatomical peculiarities, and rhinitis have emerged as a result of joining a viral or bacterial infection.
The diagnosis should produce professionals. Self-medication can lead to negative consequences.