Severe cough in an adult without fever: causes and treatment, than to treat
How to treat a bad cough without fever in an adult?
Bronchospasm is not an independent disease. It is properly viewed as a symptom of pathological disorders of the cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous system, digestive tract.
Severe cough in an adult without fever due to the lack of adequate treatment is progressing steadily, which is reflected in the quality of life and General health of the patient. To prevent complications of the symptom requires a correct evaluation forms and causes.
Causes of cough without fever in an adult
Cold-related cough supplements and related symptoms: increased body temperature, runny nose, General signs of intoxication, nasal congestion. And this is the norm. Then how to find the explanation for a long-lasting cough acts while maintaining the low-grade indicators in norm?
The reflex response occurs in response to adverse conditions provoked by endogenous and exogenous factors. Bronchospastic syndrome is not a concern, if at least neutralize foreign substances takes place in 2-3 days.
Persistent cough in the adult points to the beginning of the inflammatory process, and the lack of temperature on the inability of the body to fight infection.
Nuance! Growing coughing in the natural temperature of the body is characteristic for the elderly, due to the natural aging process.
A prolonged cough that lasts more than two weeks, may provoke the following circumstances:
- Smoking. Carcinogens and toxic substances in cigarettes irritate the bronchial receptors, there is a desire to cough. With prolonged abuse of nicotine chemical products accumulated on the walls of the bronchi, which is the root cause of inflammation.
- Allergies. Appears during the contact with the allergen or after. To distinguish allergic cough can be the nature of the attacks – dry irritating barking or, in rare cases it is possible to highlight transparent purulent sputum without impurities. Its symptoms are combined with a runny nose, watery eyes, itching, sore throat, sneezing, irritation of the skin, redness of the eyelids. Immune disorders provoke a dust, wool of domestic Pets, household chemicals, cosmetics, spores of plants, industrial and chemical wastes in the atmosphere, the medication.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system. A long-term cough, and weakness without fever is associated with the impairment of blood flow in large and small pulmonary circulation. Due to the decrease in contractility of left ventricle fibrous body is the stagnation of blood, which irritates the bronchial recipes. Cough act may occur after exercise or at rest. The patient complains of pain in the heart, weakness and malaise, palpitations, high blood pressure, shortness of breath, swelling of the lower extremities.
- Pathology of the upper respiratory tract. With the defeat of the paranasal sinuses infectious agents increases the amount produced of secret develops hyperemia of soft tissues, reduces the quality of breathing. The emergence of cough reflex precedes the expiration of phlegm at the back of the throat. A clinical picture characteristic of different etiology sinusitis, frontal sinusitis, sinusitis, laryngitis.
- Disorders of the endocrine system. A deviation from the norm in the activities of the organ of internal secretion is manifested by change of parameters of the thyroid gland. Increasing in size, it puts pressure on the trachea, prompting the cough reflex. The attacks continue as long as no action will be taken for treatment.
- Residual effects after ENT diseases. Normal cough due to acute period must pass 14 days. However, the valid rare cough a month and a half after an illness. Bronchospasm often occurs in the morning after waking up, should not affect the quality of breathing.
- Neoplasms. If the cough without fever lasts 2-3 weeks or longer is a reason to undergo examination by an oncologist. Most malignant tumors are formed on the background of chronic diseases: hay fever, gastritis, gastric ulcer, ulcerative colitis, tuberculosis. At the initial stage of dry cough rarely bother. With the progression of disease frequency and intensity jerky exhalations intensifies, while coughing stands out purulent exudate.
For reference! Chest cough without fever in children indicates the development of a broncho esophageal and tracheoesophageal fistula. Occurs on the background of partial division of respiratory and digestive systems at an earlier stage of the individual formation of the embryo.
Can be a long list of reasons for prolonged cough. Paroxysmal cough is characteristic of acts in the period of remission of whooping cough, and night attacks with sputum – bronchial asthma.
Non-productive cough provokes the localization of foreign objects, and periodic forced exhalations are neurogenic in nature, as a protective reaction of the organism to stressful situations.
Before you can determine what to treat a cough without fever in an adult is required to consult an otolaryngologist. In its competence to competently differentiate the catalysts unpleasant symptom, to carry out diagnostic activities and General inspection, and then make a diagnosis, choose tactics of recovery.
Treatment of cough does not always taking the medicine. If the cause of irritating non-productive cough is an adverse microclimate, enough to adhere to the following guidelines:
- To adjust temperature (20-21⁰С, for a night’s sleep optimal t 18-19⁰С) and the rate of humidity in the room (55-60%).
- Ventilate the room, regular wet cleaning.
- To limit contact with the allergen.
- Spend more time outdoors.
- To balance the power. To refuse from alcohol drinks, coffee, cheap, spicy and oily food.
- To avoid hypothermia or overheating.
- To increase daily amount of fluid consumption.
Tip! With whooping cough, doctors recommend to visit places near water, breathe the sea air, walk in a pine forest.
Pharmacotherapy prolonged cough involves the use of drugs of different mechanism of action.
Antitussive. Indications for use — pertussis infection, bronchial asthma, cancer, senile cough, inflammation of larynx, trachea, bronchi. The prerequisite is a non-productive cough without formation and release of pathological secret.
Otherwise there is a risk of accumulation of fibrous and purulent exudate in the respiratory pathways with subsequent irrationalism in the lower parts of the respiratory system.
Popular in otolaryngology are drugs Central and peripheral actions that inhibit the activity of the cough center in the medulla without disrupting the breathing process. Often prescribe the means of combined action with anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and analgesic effects («Pour», «Rengali», «Glauben», «Libeksin»).
Important! There can be no parallel use of expectorant with secretolytic medicines.
To restore mucociliary clearance in the productive cough is a systematic prescribe means to improve the sputum, reducing its adhesive properties.
These drugs klassificeret mechanism of action:
- Expectorants. Increase the volume of the pathological secretion, relieves spasm of the bronchi, reduce the viscosity of mucus, preventing it from sticking to the bronchial walls. Preference is given to vegetable products based on medicinal plants («Thermopsis», «Alteyka», «licorice», «Gerbion plantain») or the combined action («Bronchipret», «Remens», «Bronhofit»). The therapeutic effect is cumulative, but the risk of poisoning the body with toxic substances is minimal.
- Mucolytics. Change only the qualitative indicators of secreted without increasing in volume. Improve the quality of breathing by facilitating the outflow of fluid from the bronchial tract. Possess anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects. Prescribed for ENT pathologies (sinusitis, sinusitis, rhinitis) and respiratory diseases (bronchitis, tracheitis, pneumonia, cystic fibrosis, bronchial asthma). No. 1 choice – «Ambroxol», «Fluimucil», «ACC», «Bromhexine», «Mucosolvan», «Ambrobene».
In clinical cases, when a strong cough without fever triggered by infection of the respiratory tract required antibiotic. The choice of antibacterial drugs needed to trust the doctor, because initially it is advisable to differentiate the sensitivity of pathogenic microflora.
Nuance! If on the second day after reception of antibiotics there is no improvement, it must be replaced.
What if the cough lasts for 2-3 weeks and no fever
Prolonged coughing, while maintaining the natural subfebrile figures indicates the progression of inflammation or chronic disease.
Self-treatment will only aggravate the situation because of violations that trigger this symptom more than 50, from the banal SARS to heart failure and cancerous tumors. Therefore, this condition requires a doctor’s involvement, the differential diagnosis and then adequate treatment.
Tactics of therapy prolonged cough depends on its type and the underlying disease that caused the irritation of the cough center.
Dry cough justifies the use of drugs to eliminate irritation, reduce the intensity and frequency of reflex acts. To get rid of productive cough, to speed up the process of regression help mucolytic and expectorant drugs.