Some snot in the sinus: photo & color
What color snot sinus
Contagious inflammation arising in the paranasal sinuses is called sinusitis. The disease like any other disease, according to certain phases. Conventionally, you can monitor them, assessing the nature of mucus: in the sinus mucus color changes depending on the severity of the disease and its duration. The initial stage, usually accompanied by a transparent liquid secretions from the nose and is a popular «cold». A dense mass of green or yellow color may indicate the accession of bacterial infection. The appearance of impurities of blood in the mucus tells about a state of neglect and is cause for immediate medical care.
The perpetrators of the emergence of sinusitis
Patients often confuse the term «sinusitis» with other diseases of the nasal cavity, believing that a runny nose is an obvious symptom of inflammation of the paranasal sinuses. In fact, in most cases, when a stuffy nose and snot running, it is about rhinitis, and often of viral origin. And the defeat of the maxillary sinuses can be the result of an incorrect treatment of the common cold or a passing ailment to chance. Or be an independent disease. Snot with blood in the sinus is often the result left to the mercy of the disease.
Causes of sinusitis are a few:
- launched rhinitis.
Knowledge of the «culprit» of the disease is half of successful treatment, as treatment tactics should include certain medications that affect a particular microflora.
So, do not work on viruses antibiotics, antihistamines powerless fungus, antifungal drugs are not able to kill the bacteria.
The stage of the disease
Roughly the stage of disease can be determined by some snot in the sinus (photo samples is presented in our gallery). Another way the exemplary recognition – press on the sinuses in the nose, on the wings of the nose and between brownie arcs. Pain says about the probability of inflammation of the paranasal sinuses.
It is often confused with normal rhinitis, as the symptoms of diseases are similar:
- immaterial stuffy sinuses;
- violation of nasal breathing;
- swelling of the mucous membranes;
- the allocation of colorless or turbid fluid.
The acute form of the disease, often occurring with fever, impairment of the General health. A characteristic feature of suppurative stage are headaches radiating to the frontal and occipital lobes, temples, jaw. Clear discharge turns into yellow snot in the sinus acute, more thick in consistency. This color may indicate the presence of pus. Sometimes in the axils of the whole formed clots coming out when bismarckiana. It is at this stage may appear streaks of blood, especially in combination with pressing pain in the region of the nose, forehead, between the eyebrows.
The patient with acute sinusitis can be difficult to tilt your head forward, so a strong pain in the forehead and around the nose. Loss of smell – another sure sign of the defeat of the paranasal sinuses.
Launched in the acute stage, slowly but surely spills over into the chronic form. Characteristic features:
- acute pain in the head, the sinuses, the cheeks;
- allocation of greenish-gray with a very unpleasant smell;
- the alternation of remission and relapse;
- blood in mucus.
In chronic sinusitis may be no fever and periods remain the sense of smell. However, it requires treatment on a par with other variants of the disease.
The long-awaited stage is accompanied by a decrease in the number of allocations that change their color from green-yellow spectrum, deviation of the pain syndrome. White snot in the sinus – a sure sign of the imminent end of the disease.
Classification of inflammation due to the occurrence
- Suspect an allergic nature can in the long course of the disease, is not accompanied by pain, bloody and purulent secretions. Liquid transparent snot sinusitis without fever, which did not pass the occasion to see an allergist.
- Viral sinusitis according to the color of discharge does not differ from the catarrhal stage and the allergic form, but may contain increased body temperature, slight pain in the sinuses, nasal. The most important thing at this stage is not to allow the nozzle to thicken, otherwise ubiquitous bacteria instantly mastered weakened by inflammation of the space and will cause aggravation.
- Often bacterial infection is synonymous with complications of viral diseases. This works for sinusitis. The appearance of thick secretions green and yellow color may indicate the spread of bacteria. However, this nature of the disease can be original.
- Fungal infection of the paranasal sinuses is characterized by a green slime with a grayish tint, and patches of clots of black, white or other colors. Impurities in the blood are often absent.
- Another type of sinusitis the main symptom of which is fetid putrid odor – tooth or odontogenic. Allocation in this disease is small, congestion is minimal, but it is possible the emergence of toothache. The cause of odontogenic sinusitis may be a cyst on multirooted tooth. Treatment in this case is performed under the supervision of a dentist.
Although what color the snot in the sinus and it is possible to determine the stage of the disease, the ultimate truth that knowledge is not. Always need a doctor.
Lost time can result in a transition of the disease in a more serious form, for which treatment will take time, strong medications, and even surgery.
Blood in the secretions
When sinusitis blood in snot in most cases appears because of the disease itself. But there are other reasons:
- too frequent and inappropriate use of vasoconstrictor drugs;
- excessive zeal when blowing your nose or washing of the sinuses;
- thin mucosa;
- the fragility of blood vessels that occurs when some types of disease;
- picking your nose with foreign objects;
- comorbidities (arterial hypertension, diabetes mellitus, liver disease).
If the patient in addition to sinusitis has any systemic disease in the chronic form, or anamnesis, is the reason for constant medical monitoring.
When bleeding from the nasal cavity, do not stop for more than two hours even after attempts to stop the ambulance should call immediately.
To the question about blowing your nose
The most important rule – do not overdo it. It is not necessary to force to push the mucus out of both nostrils at once, risking the eardrum. For safe and effective nose blowing necessary to alternately clamp one of the halves of the nose using a clean cloth to empty the other nostril. A better – disposable paper towels or handkerchiefs. Too frequent and strong blowing the nose can damage the walls of blood vessels and mucous membranes, bringing unnecessary problems to the patient. To draw the slime in a nasopharynx – also not a good idea. Pathogens from the sinuses can get into unprotected areas and cause additional inflammation.
With regard to child age, up to 2-3 years to blow your nose and wash the nose of toddlers is not recommended. The younger the child, the more chances of earning otitis media because the Eustachian tube connecting the cavity of the ear and nose in children is straight and wide. The risk of getting infected with pathogens of mass in the ears is very high. To moisturize the mucous membranes, you can use a saline solutions that also diluting the snot and allow them to freely flow out.
Important point: as children up to 3-4 years paranasal sinuses are not yet formed, to speak of sinusitis at this age is basically impossible.
Although the nature of pain and color selections easy to recognize sinusitis (snot photos can be viewed in the appropriate section), to engage in self-diagnosis and self-treatment still not worth it.
Sinusitis is not a harmless disease. In difficult cases it comes to operative surgery, plastics and a long course of antibiotic therapy. So the delay in seeking medical consultation is impossible.