Stuffy nose: causes and treatment what it is
How to treat nasal congestion?
Nasal congestion occurs often enough. This feature is characteristic of viral or bacterial infections, but, in addition, is often found in the cooler seasons. Congestion is often accompanied by shortness of breath, sleep disturbance, loss of appetite, poor health. This kind of problem must be solved with the help of doctors as causes and treatment of nasal congestion to determine not always possible.
In the complex therapy includes several methods. Usually, doctors prescribe inhalations, rinsing of the sinuses, the introduction of vasoconstrictor nose drops and sprays and also medications aimed at reducing swelling and the destruction of inflammation. In the treatment of this disease it is important to adhere to a healthy way of life, to abandon bad habits. In some cases, patients who would benefit from exercise or yoga.
What is nasal congestion
Nasal congestion can occur due to many reasons. Most often, this symptom is common among residents of the metropolis. The human body, living in a big city, is weakened and vulnerable to viruses and infections. Often this symptom is the result of the inflammatory process in the cavity of the upper respiratory tract or due to exposure to adverse environmental factors.
Sometimes congestion occurs only on one side may be accompanied by runny nose or other symptoms.
To ignore this process, as is almost always congestion occurs as a harbinger of the disease.
Some people can get used to the lack of nasal breathing and replace it with the inhalation of air through the mouth.
Keep in mind that it is dangerous to life, as the supplied oxygen is not cleared and not warm. Such a process invariably leads to disruption of body functions.
If respiratory organ does not perform its functions, the blood of man is not supplied with the necessary amount of oxygen. This leads to insufficient nutrition of the cells, which is especially important in the development of the organism.
Needless to say, the nasal congestion are not independent inflammation, but only a symptom. When treatment is necessary to find out the cause of this process and to establish associated symptoms.
Necessarily that congestion accompanied by a runny nose, swelling of the mucous membranes and other symptoms. This can happen because of trauma to the nasal passages, the presence in the nose a foreign object, and anatomical features. To determine why a stuffy nose can only on a personal consultation with the doctor.
Causes of nasal congestion
If the congestion persists for a long time, it is necessary to establish the reasons for the formation of such a process. If the patient has nasal congestion is not accompanied by additional symptoms, it is necessary to pay attention to the following reasons:
- deformation of the nasal septum;
- post-traumatic curvature of the structures in the nasal cavity;
- congenital abnormalities;
- strong drying of the mucous membranes, dysfunction of allocation of intranasal secret;
- swelling of the mucous membrane part;
- the presence in the nose foreign bodies or objects from toys;
- the growth of polyps, the presence of adenoids;
- goes untreated rhinitis;
- chronic vasomotor rhinitis;
- drug-induced rhinitis;
- pathological narrowing of the nasal passages;
- a tumor or cyst;
- side effects from drug treatment;
- allergic reaction;
- frequent overcooling;
- mechanical trauma;
- dysfunction of the autonomic system;
- hypertrophy of the nasal mucosa;
- cardiovascular disease;
- sinusitis, etmoidit, sphenoidal;
- respiratory infection.
To determine the exact cause can only be for consultation with a qualified physician. To determine the type of inflammation without endoscopy, radiography and other forms of research sometimes impossible. Only after receiving the tests your doctor can determine the cause and prescribe treatment.
The standard treatment for nasal congestion
Identifying the root cause of the disease, must undergo a complex treatment. If the inflammation can be cured medically way, the doctor will prescribe the following course of action:
- Vasoconstrictive drops in the nose to facilitate breathing and eliminate edema — Sanorin, Naphazoline, ksimelin, Long, long time. In the treatment of this method, it is necessary to specify the number of allowed drops, and duration. Usually vasoconstrictor agents can be used not more than five days.
- Antiviral medications are necessary in case of prolonged congestion. If the reason for the formation of obstructed nasal breathing is the virus, doctors prescribe – Cycloferon, Lavomax, Amiksin, Tilorona, Citovir, Arbidol, Ingavirin. The duration of treatment with medicines this kind of seven days.
- To moisturize nasal passages appropriate drops. The most popular is Penal, as it does not cause allergic reactions and are approved for use in the treatment of children.
- In the case of prolonged inflammation can not do without the combined drugs is At or Lincomycin-Teva. They should be used in accordance with the dosage prescribed by the attending physician.
- The treatment includes antihistamine medications. In particular, they are needed in the case of nasal congestion due to allergies. It is best to apply drops Azelastine, Levocabastine, Allergodil.
- Before each use of nose drops, rinse nasal passages salt water or special preparations, Phrase, saline, Marker, Physiomer, Humer, Maris Aqua, Dolphin, Kviks.
To relieve and moisturize the nasal passages the doctor may prescribe inhalation with a nebulizer. It is believed that this method is effective with long-term course of the disease. This procedure can be carried out using drug solutions or remedies from traditional medicine. From nasal congestion can best help inhalation on the basis of chamomile, Linden, mint, calendula.
To maintain and consolidate the effect in the broth, it is recommended to add few drops of essential oils.
Determining how long to treat nasal congestion, you must adhere to all rules and do not violate the permissible dosage.
Prolonged treatment of nasal congestion
If shortness of breath is bothering you for a long time, in addition to these medication methods, it is necessary to lavage the nasal passages.
As a solution it is better to use decoctions of medicinal plants.
For such purposes, use the decoction of chamomile, plantain, Bay leaves, St. John’s wort.
Flushing is necessary to carry out up to five times a day before each injection nasal spray. In addition, you need three times a day to carry out the inhalation of essential oils. For inhalation, suitable pine, rosemary or pine oil.
It would be useful to conduct the heating of the sinuses with the help of eggs or bags of salt.
If running nose, and stuffy left needed massage. This method can be applied both to children and adult care. Relaxing movements improve circulation in the inflamed area and improve the flow of mucus and eliminate congestion inflammation.
- Before massage, RUB your palms against each other.
- Then on the tips of your fingers apply a DAB of any essential oil.
- The index and middle finger should be rubbing the nose and slowly move on to the wings of the nose.
- Follow the circular movements for five minutes.
- After that you need some time to click on the area of the maxillary sinuses.
To repeat such movement is necessary every day three times.
Treatment of nasal congestion depends on the cause of the disease. Do not use the methods described without an accurate diagnosis, and in the case of allergic reactions to active substances included in listed medicines.