Stuffy nose in infants — what to do, causes and consequences
What to do if a baby’s stuffy nose?
Many young mothers wonder what to do if a baby’s stuffy nose? The answer lies in the consideration of possible causes of disease and methods of therapy acceptable for newborn babies.
In most cases of nasal congestion in young children does not cause serious anxiety.
To properly treat nasal congestion in a newborn should carefully study the possible causes of disease:
- the presence of narrow nasal passages. If poorly breathing nose in a newborn, this fact is explained by the too small holes in the nose, which cannot function properly in a dry place. Therefore, in the room where the baby lives it is important to respect moderate humidity and removing dust;
- the occurrence of viral infection. In this case, the nose of the baby is accompanied by the release of white or yellow mucus. Therefore, it is important to show the child’s pediatrician and determine the diagnosis of inflammatory diseases to prevent the development of more serious consequences!
- education rhinitis allergic nature in the active stage of the flow as long as possible allergen causing the disease. In parallel with the disease in infants can also occur cough. In this case, the examining pediatrician;
- the appearance of a foreign body in the nasal passages. In uncomplicated problems, you can try to retrieve the object. After unsuccessful attempts must immediately go to the hospital for the provision of quality care;
- teething babies also causes nasal congestion. It does not require additional treatment and with the appearance of the tooth for cold terminated independently.
Important! If the infant has a stuffy nose, it is necessary to quickly identify the causes of this phenomenon and to take all necessary measures. It is best to use safe and effective methods of therapy not prohibited for infants!
The behavior of infants
Stuffy nose in infants has its own peculiarities of pathology and depending on the time of detection of the disease there are the following types of pathology.
Stuffy nose in the morning
The course of disease at this time in most cases caused by excessive dryness in the room where the child lives.
To confirm this cause enough to increase the humidity level in the room by using wet towels.
If you fix the problem the nasal passages of the baby is clean, and you should continue to provide maximum hydration.
With the development of allergic rhinitis symptoms of nasal congestion do not pass until the elimination of the causative agent of the pathology.
Occurrence of sinusitis is also characterized by the presence of the disease in the morning. In this case, it is recommended the inspection of a qualified physician pediatrician.
To prevent the development of nasal congestion, the infant need to install the necessary humidity around 50-60% and keep the indicators within these limits. These rules are most appropriate for newborn infants!
Stuffy nose at night
If these time limits are a stuffy nose at the baby, this phenomenon indicates the appearance of the mucus in the sinuses is not removed and causes great inconvenience to the baby. As a result, the child becomes cranky, restless and constantly crying.
Chronic nasal congestion is marked by the constant presence of disease for several months. In this case, the combined treatment chosen by a qualified doctor.
Important! The presence of mucus green and yellow color indicates the development of viral infections or sinusitis. In this case, need immediate consultation with a pediatrician and the appointment of adequate therapy!
Methods for the treatment of nasal congestion in infants
Treatment of nasal congestion in newborn babies should consist of the application of economical and safe methods that will prevent the development of disease and will not harm the baby. If blocked nose in infants, effective the following therapies:
- the use of vasoconstrictor drops character. Quite effective drugs to eliminate the nasal congestion, but most of the drugs banned for use in children under 2 years. One of the effective and permitted medications is Otrivin Baby;
- nasal lavage with a solution with a content of isotonic sea water, spilled in special dispensers suitable for use in children. Alternatively at home you can use normal saline solution and rinse your nose using a rubber bulb;
Important! The procedure for nasal lavage should be carried out as correctly as the penetration of the solution into the ear campaigns threatens the development of severe forms of otitis. In this case, you must complete the process with all the recommendations specified in the instruction for use!
- the use of special vacuum cleaners that suck the mucus with the runny nose and eliminate nasal congestion. Depending on the method of application and pricing policy are: the syringe (a rubber bulb with a tip of silicone), pipes, mechanical effects, electronic devices and aspirators vacuum type;
- recipes of traditional medicine is effective in treating runny nose and eliminate nasal congestion. You can use beet juice, carrot and aloe. When you do this, bury his nose in breast milk not recommended, as in this case, there are comfortable conditions for development of pathogenic microorganisms and additionally clogged nasal passages!
- burying his nose in the oil solutions of vitamin a And E, because such compounds contribute to the relief of acute symptoms of rhinitis and significantly strengthen the immune system of the newborn infant. These drugs can be purchased at the pharmacy without a special prescription;
- in the course of allergic rhinitis it is important to determine the causative agent of the pathology and use of drugs antihistamines character. To eliminate the symptoms of the disease, apply such medicines as Dr. Reddy’s, Prevalin, Smectite;
- the holding of the inhalation is based on inhalation of vapors of herbs. For young children it is preferable to use special medication nebulizers for the implementation process. As the active components used sage, mint, eucalyptus, menthol, and oak bark.
Important! Using the medicinal herbs only in the absence of allergic reactions to the combination of herbs used during the procedure. When the temperature is above 37 degrees the process is not recommended for use!
The possible consequences of the disease
With the appearance of constant nasal congestion in infants should undergo examination by a qualified pediatrician, who will determine the cause and prescribe appropriate therapies. The lack of treatment or improper therapy can lead to complications:
- the emergence of diseases of infectious origin, which are formed as a result of contact with pathogenic bacteria through the mouth when the nose doesn’t breathe in a newborn baby;
- inflammation of the organs of hearing acute otitis media, which may develop into a chronic form. In the treatment of rhinitis need to carefully observe the General condition of the baby and prevent the development of this disease;
- the occurrence of cough is also caused by incorrect breathing baby, so it is important to quickly remove nasal congestion in infants.
When an issue of many young mothers, why newborns have stuffy nose, pediatricians confirm the fact that this phenomenon is normal for infants. In this case, you must create all necessary conditions for comfortable adaptation of the baby!
Prevention nasal congestion in infants depends on the causes of disease and methods used to prevent negative symptoms of the phenomenon.
Rhinitis has physiological factors at the origin and passes without additional therapy. If there are other aspects of the development of the disease, the effectiveness of the elimination of the pathology based on the use of effective methods of treatment!