Stuffy nose is not long: what to do as an adult
What to do if it is nasal congestion?
Nasal congestion is an unpleasant process, it prevents a person to breathe fully and causes irritation among others. This process can be caused by colds or allergic response. In any case, this issue must be fought.
Nasal congestion in an adult which is a long time, can cause a lot of discomfort: sleep disorders, frequent headaches, irritability. Sometimes when treating a stuffy nose is not helping the drug, so the patient has to resort to various traditional methods. In this article, we will consider all options to fight the disease.
Symptoms and causes of development
The main symptoms are:
- failure of the normal breathing through the nose;
- constant itching in the nose;
- swells the mucous of the nose;
- increased watering of eyes
- frequent sneezing;
- severe and prolonged headaches.
The reasons for this process are different, among them we can highlight the main:
- allergic response body;
- inflammation of the adenoids;
- deformation processes in the nasal septum;
- dryness or excessive humidity;
- reaction to medications;
- the appearance of formations in the nose.
The process is very dangerous for infants because they can not fully commit to breath through the mouth. If nasal congestion is not timely cured, it can progress to a more severe form of the disease (e.g., sinusitis).
Nasal congestion is of two forms: a runny nose and without it. Let us consider in detail the possible treatment options for each of them.
What to do if a long time passes nasal congestion?
If this process is not accompanied by the appearance of the common cold, it symptoms of allergic reactions. When the nose is stuffed up and last a long time in the flowering season of plants, it is trivial allergic rhinitis. First and foremost, we urgently need to find and limit yourself from the allergen.
Treatment status is carried out by taking antihistamines, they help to reduce the swelling of the mucosa and remove the feeling of «scoring a nose.» These tools include Cethrin, Diazolin, Fenkarol and etc.
If congestion is joined by the cold, we recommend taking nasal drops: Children, Naphazoline, etc.
If the cause is the dry air, it is better to prokapat nose drugs to narrowing of the blood vessels, which are composed of essential oils. Good the impact of drops and sprays with eucalyptus.
It is important to remember that before drip drops it is necessary to clear the nasal passages from mucus. For this you can use a solution of sea salt pharmacy or prepared at home.
You need to mix half a teaspoon in a glass of warm boiled water. Rinse the nostrils better over the sink. With the help of pear or pipette to pour the solution alternately in each nostril. This procedure must be performed several times a day. Read more about carrying out the washing here.
When severe congestion is better not to vysmarkivatsya very often, as it can cause even more inflammation of the mucous membranes of the nose.
Among the popular means of dealing with the nasal congestion are the following:
- Steam inhalation. This can be done by typing in a pot of boiling water and just breathe over it, covered with a towel.
- Warm compresses on the nose. For this you can use warm towel or heated salt. The dressing should be put on the bridge of his nose. Important! The compress should be warm, but not hot, otherwise you can earn a burn.
- More hot drink. It can be herbal teas.
- If the congestion is not related to colds, to make breathing easier spread the sinuses warming ointments (Asterisk, Doctor, etc.). You can also use the mask, which previously put a few drops of peppermint essential oil or eucalyptus.
- If this process occurs mainly at night when a person sleeps, it is recommended to put under the head cushion.
- Also effective is the usual soap. It needs to be spread to the sinuses and massage gently and well Prachatice.
- Instilled into the nose 2 times a day fresh juice of Kalanchoe.
- Another effective method of performing steam inhalation grated garlic or onion. This causes excessive mucus, thus accelerating the process of cleansing the nasal passage.
All of the above methods of struggle designed for both adults and children. In infants effective method of combating congestion is the continuous flushing of the nasal passages and the pumping of the assembled nozzle using a special aspirator.
In the period of cold it is recommended to eat a lot of spicy foods. It, first, helps in the fight against microbes, while the second intensifies the process of discharge of mucus from the nose.
If the cold persists for a long time nasal congestion, it may be caused by the following reasons:
- the presence of cold symptoms after completion of treatment;
- complications that are caused by bacterial infection.
In this case, it is necessary to conduct re therapy: wash regularly the nose, dripping drugs for vasoconstriction, to observe strict bed rest.
Of the popular methods are inhalation of vapor or essential oils.
Another very effective method is treatment with warm vinegar.
It is necessary to dilute cider vinegar water (1:1), bring to the boil and covered with a towel to breathe for 10-15 minutes. This procedure is recommended 2-3 times a day.
If the congestion does not pass after infectious diseases, as a rule, the doctor prescribes treatment with antibiotics. Colds recommended to apply compresses of heated boiled potatoes.
For rinsing the nose, except the sea salt and the physical solution can be applied:
- The decoction of Hypericum. This requires a tablespoon Hypericum pour boiling water, give well to infuse, strain and rinse with a warm solution both nostrils.
- A solution of sea salt and propolis. In a glass of room temperature water to dilute chinua 1 teaspoon of sea salt and a few drops of propolis. The solution can be rinsed each nostril 5 times a day.
If nasal congestion is caused by a deviated septum in the nose or other injuries, it is recommended surgery and subsequent drug therapy.
In conclusion, I would say that the condition of nasal congestion can often be the result of inflammation or the ingestion of bacterial infection. For treatment using various drugs and traditional methods. Each of them is in some way effective.
It is important to remember that you cannot use drugs for vasoconstriction more than a week since develop tolerance to the drug components.
Traditional methods also should be used with caution to avoid unwanted effects. For effective treatment this process is necessary to accurately determine the cause. Therefore, it is better not to self-medicate and when the first symptoms to see a doctor.