Swollen labia: causes and treatment
If you have problems of an intimate nature, not every woman immediately goes for a consultation with a doctor. The reason for this indecision, shyness, fear. Swelling of the labia – this is one of those reasons. In some cases, however, swelling can be symptoms such as redness, pain, discharge from vagina, itchy genitals. First of all, you need to find out the cause of these unpleasant symptoms and eliminate it. What to do if you have swollen labia?
The factors causing the swelling
Why swollen labia? And the reasons can be several:
- Allergies. Very often it is this reason leads to swelling. Allergic reaction of the skin in the vaginal area may occur as lingerie and cosmetics.
- Bartholinitis. The most common reason that causes swelling. Bartholin’s glands are located at the entrance to the vagina. When released into the female body infection in glands inflammation can occur with purulent foci. Also Bartolomeu gland may suppurate and form a cyst. Labia swollen, and the area becomes painful, especially enhanced the discomfort during sex or while walking. Aggravate the disease of purulent abscesses and cysts. With early diagnosis of the disease may even cure itself. If you run bartholinitis, it threatens to abscess.
- Vulvovaginitis. Can occur due to irritation of the intimate areas by mechanical means or non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene. In this case, the lips swell, can be itching, discomfort.
- Vulvodynia in an advanced stage. Pain in the region of the labia, swelling is the symptoms that are caused by prolonged treatment with antibiotics or when the Candida in the chronic form.
- Vulvitis and vaginitis. Swelling in the lips, and the vaginal discharge that is greenish in color, have an unpleasant odor, and pain during urination can be inflammation of the vagina or external genitalia. The causes of these pathologies can be frequent abortions, trauma genital organs, lack of hygiene, promiscuous sex life.
- Candidiasis (thrush). The symptoms of this disease: vaginal discharge, their texture is very similar to the cottage cheese, sour odor, pain during intercourse, itching vulva.
The diagnosis can only physician, based on the results of gynecological examination and studies. When you have established the cause, the doctor will select individually the treatment.
Why swollen small pudendal lip?
Which can lead to puffiness and swelling:
- Allergic reaction (synthetic underwear, condoms, hygiene products).
- Swelling after sex. If swelling after some time has passed, is to do nothing. During sex a woman experiences arousal, the blood rushes to the nerve endings and small blood vessels in the lips, causing them to increase in size.
- Pregnancy. Hormonal changes in the female body encourage greater blood flow to the genitals, which also causes swelling.
- Tight underwear’s.
- Heart disease, blood vessels, and endocrine system may also cause swelling.
- Infectious diseases. In this case, without a visit to the doctor will not be able to cope with the problem. Thrush, vulvitis and other sexually transmitted infections that can get into the urogenital system failure to comply with the rules of intimate hygiene. If a small swollen lip, itching, vaginal discharge observed cheesy discharge with an unpleasant odor, it indicates the presence of infection.
Why swollen genitals in women?
The factors that cause swelling of labia majora:
- Failure to comply with the rules of intimate hygiene.
- Allergic reaction to personal care products or latex.
- Synthetic and low quality linen.
- Heart disease, blood vessels, and endocrine system.
- Strong sexual arousal.
- Inflammations or infectious diseases of the genitourinary system.
What can I do about swelling?
If swollen labia, no matter how big or small, swollen, it is better to consult a doctor. Perhaps the reason for this phenomenon will be on their own, but specialist advice will not be superfluous.
In most cases the swelling caused by the natural physiological processes in the female body. In this case, the swelling will pass on their own, without any treatment.
If you adhere to easy recommendations, you can minimize the risks of diseases of the genital organs:
- Strictly adhere to the rules of intimate hygiene.
- Wear comfortable underwear made of natural fabrics that won’t constrict movement.
- Underwear must be clean.
- Proper nutrition. The presence in the diet of some products can cause an allergic reaction resulting in swelling of the labia and the itch.
- Avoid stressful situations and less nervous.
- If a woman has many sexual partners, this increases the risk of infections.
- If in addition to swelling, other symptoms should immediately consult a doctor, and after installation reasons, to comply with all its recommendations.
- To try to eliminate abortion.
- If vaginal mucosa is dry, to protect the private parts from injury during sex, it is recommended to use special intimate gels.
- To use white strips to reduce the likelihood of an allergic reaction.
- In the care of the bikini area only use your machine. If you are experiencing severe irritation, you need to use antiseptic.
- Regular checkups by a gynecologist should be the norm, no need to ignore them.
Women should monitor themselves, their health, especially intimate. With the appearance of unpleasant symptoms favorable result is possible only if timely treatment to the doctor and compliance with all its recommendations.