The physiological runny nose in babies: symptoms and how long, Komorowski
How to recognize the physiological runny nose in infants?
Quite often after discharge from the hospital newborns appear discharge from the nose. The parents immediately begin to sound the alarm, because the cold can be a symptom of acute respiratory diseases, viral infections or allergic rhinitis.
Before resorting to any actions and methods of treatment, first it is necessary to clarify the nature of this phenomenon. Maybe the baby is just a physical cold. Let’s look at what is this condition, what causes, what the symptoms point to him and whether you want to treat it.
What is the physiological runny nose?
Physiological (neurovegetative) runny nose or rhinitis is the occurrence of clear nasal discharge, typical for children under the age of 3 months. This phenomenon is not a symptom of any disease. Runny nose is observed due to adaptation of the nasal passages of the baby to the new conditions of life.
Physiological snot appear in newborns 9 out of 10 times and are a natural and physiological process of addiction and the development of the nasal passages. The intensity and severity of the common cold each child is different, so some kids this process can be, and is not seen by parents, while others rhinitis is a strong and cause outright anxiety.
Discharge from the nose in the newborn occur within the first two weeks after birth due to the fact that the nasal passages adapt to life and get used to breathe air.
In the womb the baby is in amniotic fluid and everything necessary for life and development receives through the umbilical cord. After the birth the mucous membranes into the environment without water and begin to adjust to it. At this stage of development of the nasal passages are a kind of adaptation and work in an intensive mode, producing too much fluid to moisten and protect the nasal mucosa from environmental factors.
That excessive moisture is the main cause of the sniffles in newborns.
How to recognize a cold in infants?
Natural rhinitis is very easily determined by the symptoms of its occurrence:
- Snot transparent and liquid, don’t have a green or white tint.
- A newborn’s condition is not violated: no problems with sleep, eating and behavior.
- During sleep child snores and breathe easily.
- In addition to a cold the child has no temperature, no cough, no red throat. In rare cases, physiological snot can cause sneezing.
- Breath at the child’s difficulty, such as a runny nose causes swelling of the nasal mucosa.
- Most of the liquid is in the nose, periodically emerging from it in a small amount, so rich and thick nasal discharge in this type of rhinitis can be.
Important! If the cold really has a physiological origin, so the child will have to emerge it without changing the General condition of the newborn. If rhinitis is accompanied by fever, malaise and cough, the child urgently needs to show the pediatrician.
How long is the common cold and can walk with him?
Each child has a process of adaptation of the respiratory tract is different, so addictive in the nasopharynx of one child may be faster, while the other, the adaptation process will last for months.
The average physiological rhinitis lasts from 7 to 14 days. In rare cases it may take up to 3 months. During this time the respiratory system fully adapts to the new conditions and nasal discharge coming back to normal.
As for walks, they not only not prohibited, but recommended. Air enriched with oxygen and more moist than in the room. Fresh air has a positive effect not only on the mucous membranes of the nose, but also on the organism as a whole.
If during the walk the boy has become less a running nose, should not be afraid is a normal reaction of the mucosa for hydration and fresh air.
Fresh air is good for any type of runny nose. If the disease progresses without fever, walking in the fresh air. Only it is desirable to limit contact of the child with other children.
How to treat a runny nose?
To treat the physiological runny nose is not necessary, as it alone passes. Parents from their side can only improve nasal breathing of the baby using the following manipulations:
- Daily wet cleaning and airing a child’s room.
- In the room where the child sleeps, should be a high humidity (50-60%). To provide the desired humidity in the room will help special device: a humidifier.
- The temperature in the nursery should not be above 20 °C (preferably 18-19°C).
- You need to remove from child’s room all stuffed toys: they collect dust.
- Give your child a daily walk in the fresh air.
- Do not vasoconstrictor drops.
- On the recommendation of a doctor, you can wash the baby’s nose with a sea salt solution or baby moisturizing drops for your nose.
These recommendations should be performed regularly, and then physiological snot will pass quickly. Additionally, the support temperature and humidity in the nursery is the prevention of the occurrence of various diseases of ENT organs and prevents the occurrence of complications during the rhinitis.
Important! The main enemy, which causes complications in diseases of the respiratory tract is dry and warm air. Moisturize children’s room and watch the temperature of the air in it, and then neurovegetative rhinitis will pass without medical intervention.
The recommendations of Dr. Komarovsky
Eugene O. Komorowski noted that under physiological, as with any other kind of cold, it is necessary to observe a mode and to maintain the humidity and temperature of air at the desired level.
If the child behaves naturally, he had no temperature or cough, then you should often walk in the fresh air and ventilate the room and then the physiological runny nose will be faster.
If you see that the condition of the baby deteriorates, rhinitis in addition to added cough, lethargy, sleep disorders, then you should seek the assistance of the pediatrician.
To prevent the emergence of a physiological common cold is impossible, since it is a natural process of adaptation of the respiratory system, but can affect its intensity and duration:
- limit contact of the baby with sick children;
- limit the stay of the child in a confined crowded area;
- make sure you and your child in the fresh air;
- in the winter season put a wet towel on the battery and set the room capacity with water;
- take regular in the nursery for wet cleaning;
- do not use special cleaning tools that can cause allergies in the newborn.
Stick to these rules, lead a healthy way of life, often walk with the baby in the fresh air, and then the likelihood of cold to decrease significantly.