The swelling of the tonsils and tonsils: pictures at different stages
Looks like a tumor on the tonsil?
Common disease in people older than 40 years is the swelling of the tonsils. This is a serious disease of lymphoid tissue that can lead to cancer. However, the sooner you will notice swelling, the better your chances for effective cure.
Unfortunately, diagnosis of cancer at early stages is very rare, as the inflammation is almost no symptoms. Often cancer of the tonsils occurs in the throat. Basically a tumor on the tonsil is formed in men.
About the disease of the tonsils
The tonsils are located in the region of the nasal and oral region and appear as a cluster of lymphoid tissue.
In the value of the tonsils include the protective function and the tracking of a constant composition of blood. In addition, the tonsils are working on the body’s immune system, protecting the nasal area from the inhalation of foreign microorganisms, including bacteria and viruses.
For this reason, the tonsils often become inflamed due to irritant effects of the environment.
The disease leads to disruption of cells by their rebirth.
Often the inflammation spreads to nearby tissues and organs. Thus, affects the lymph nodes. Unfortunately, the spread of the disease occurs immediately and is accompanied by ulcers.
The tumor occurs in people older than 40 years, but there are cases of people younger than 35 years. According to statistics, men are exposed to disease 10 times more often than women.
Cancer of the tonsils are divided into several classifications:
- The swelling of the skin and mucous membranes. It commonly develops on the surface and consists of cells. Different several types of development, ranging from small affected object, ending with tumors of large size.
- Squamous cell carcinoma. In this form primarily affect the lymphoid tissue.
- Malignant tumor of soft tissues.
- A malignant tumor, which primarily disrupted cellular elements.
- Tumor of reticular tissue. From other species it is distinguished by the defeat gistiotitarnaya cells.
There are a lot of photos of the tumor of the tonsil. Please note some of them.
Cancer of the tonsils is divided into four stages:
- The easiest tumor is considered when its size is not more than 2 centimeters, in the absence of metastasis.
- In the second stage, the tumor grows up to 4 centimeter and is considered a malignant disease. However, metastases do not exist.
- In the third stage, the tumor increases greatly in size and appear metastases in the affected area of the body.
- In the fourth stage, metastases are detected on both sides. In addition to the affected area, they can occur in other organs. Sizes can reach up to 6 inches.
Causes of cancer of the tonsils
Causes of tumors of various and at the moment is still not fully understood. However, experts identify several factors of the cancer of tonsils:
- Primarily the cause of cancer can be Smoking. Due to the large content of corrosive substances in tobacco-associated lymphoid tissue damaged, causing the appearance of the tumor.
- Frequent and excessive alcohol consumption is also the strongest factors for the emergence of cancer.
- The human papilloma virus is widely spread both among men and women is also a factor in the emergence of the disease.
Unfortunately, this tumor of the tonsil does not have specific and exact symptoms. This is the reason for the late diagnosis of the disease.
Gouty arthritis find on third or fourth stages of the disease.
Specialists-oncologists highlight some of the symptoms:
- Sudden pain in the throat. Pain and discomfort increase in the period eating, or communicate;
- The patient has discomfort and the feeling of a foreign body in the region of the tonsils. And can form plaque or crust;
- Redness in the throat;
- Swelling of the Palatine tonsils;
- The appearance of ulcers in the sky;
- Please note saliva. It can be bloody stains;
- Selection of pus;
- Rare cases of otitis media, complete or partial hearing loss;
- As a consequence of the observed strong and long-lasting pain in the ears.
Upon detection of the listed symptoms, immediately consult a doctor-oncologist. He will examine and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Diagnosis and appearance of the disease
To confirm the diagnosis you will prescribe diagnostic procedures, including excision of tissue for microscopic examination.
In addition, assigned ultrasounds and x-rays.
For a more accurate diagnosis of complete magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography.
The swelling of the tonsils differs from inflammation of the tonsils. Look at the photo of the tumor on the tonsils.
Fortunately, in the early stages of the disease, guaranteed successful recovery. You will need to undergo a holistic and combined treatment that includes surgery to remove the tumor and chemotherapy.
Surgery will remove the inflammation and also the surrounding damaged tissues. Upon detection of the metastasis is removed Palatine tonsil.
If the inflammation of the affected lymph nodes, these should also be eliminated.
After surgery and a successful recovery, an additional surgery for tissue repair.
In the second stage of recovery radiation therapy. In the course of therapy in the body is carried out by radiation that pass through body tissues and destroys the cancer cells. This procedure is carried out with the appearance of large metastases and the growth of the tumor.
It is known that this treatment aggressively, as patient is exposed to large amounts of radiation. Therefore, the operation is performed under the strict supervision of an MRI machine.
Be prepared for the fact that before the beginning of the operation, you will undertake a complete rehabilitation of the oral cavity, eliminating all inflammation.
The final step will be chemotherapy. It will eliminate the tumor growth. In the treatment of neoplastic diseases with exposure to affected areas with chemicals to avoid side effects: nausea, vomiting, weakness throughout the body, fatigue, lethargy, severe trauma to the immune system.
In the treatment of cancer of the tonsils in the early stages, this positive result prevails. So, 50 to 80 percent of people successfully undergoing therapy, and can effectively avoid the recurrence of the disease.
With timely treatment of cancer of the tonsils on the first or second stage, life expectancy is 10 years.
The tumor is found in the third and the fourth stage has a more deplorable result, as the average life expectancy is about three years.
Take care of your health and avoid excessive consumption of alcohol, Smoking. Timely treat diseases of the nose, throat and teeth. Thus, you will prevention.
When the first symptoms promptly contact your oncologist and then the outcome will be favorable.