The whole of the child: how to stop and what to do to prevent starting a cold
How to treat a beginning cold at the child?
Every mom sooner or later first encounters with children’s runny nose. Can catch it even with a healthy, tempered kid, and we shouldn’t fear this. The main thing – time to recognize the incipient rhinitis and to take action. By itself this disease is not dangerous, but if you run it, it can develop into a serious disease. So to all parents, it is important to know what to do if the child starts cold.
Rhinitis in children, and indeed adults, often occurs in the off-season – fall and spring. During this period the immune system weakens, because of the difficulty to optimally dress in changeable weather often happens hypothermia, and pick up a viral infection and child is easy. And when the children go to kindergarten, all moms know: adaptation without the cold does not pass.
How not to miss a runny nose in a child?
In fact, it is impossible to adequately parent adequately caring for her baby, missed the beginning of the common cold in children. Its symptoms are quite simple:
- nasal mucus;
- breathing is difficult.
Usually at the beginning of the disease from the child’s nose stand out very liquid transparent snot, the consistency resembling water. This is a good sign that this cold is not dangerous, if it does not start.
Moms also notice that the child begins to hold his mouth constantly ajar. This means that the nose of the baby breathes badly, and he tries to breathe through the mouth. After a few days of discharge from the nose become more dense, and not need every five minutes to use a handkerchief.
If these thick sopelki transparent, fear not: the cold will pass without special consequences 7-10 days after detection of the first signs of the disease.
Important! If discharge from the nose suddenly become unnatural yellow or green, it is a reason to urgently go to the doctors: the pediatrician and the audiologist!
To reduce the risk of complications and to alleviate the condition of their children, mothers must know how to treat a beginning cold at the child.
What to do at home?
To stop starting a cold the child should be symptomatic treatment. The following diagram will help relieve symptoms of rhinitis in the beginning of its development:
- Nasal rinses. First, it is recommended that paediatric patients with a diagnosis of «rhinitis» is a nasal lavage. Some people have not heard about this method of treatment and prevention of the common cold, while others make this procedure a part of the daily care.
- Bismarckiana. Regularly clean baby’s nose of snot.
- The intake of fluids. During illness give the child plenty of liquids: warm water, milk, tea (you can add ginger or lemon). Also the patient will be useful to take decoctions of herbs: chamomile, calendula or sage. But be careful! Before giving this drink to a child, check if he has any allergies to these ingredients.
- Gargling. Rhinitis tends to go into a cough because the throat and nose are closely connected. From the first days of the disease do gargling using salt, soda or the Drug. To prepare the solution is required to mix 1 tbsp of the substance in a glass of warm water.
- The humidity of the air. The room where the baby should be aired 2 times a day. To control the level of humidity you can use a humidifier.
- Diet. At the time of illness of the baby eliminate of his diet of sweets and spices, because products of this kind are favorable environment for breeding of harmful microorganisms. Eating moderate amounts of fresh vegetables and fruit will enrich the baby’s body with vitamins and help cope with the disease.
Lavage is a useful procedure, supporting the necessary moisture of the nasal mucosa and efficiently clear from the nose. When correctly carried out, this hygienic manipulation of the solution poured in one nostril of the nose, should be free to flow out the other nostril. However, in the case of young children to achieve complete rinsing difficult.
For the procedure, you will need a special solution:
- salt solution, prepared at home;
- saline purchased at a pharmacy (sodium chloride).
For cooking salt solution, take 1 tsp. of salt and dissolve it in 1 l of water. Several times a day a small amount of funds received room temperature to pour into the nose of the child with a pipette or a syringe without a needle and a few seconds to give it freely to flow from the spout. Of course, a small child not yet able to blow your nose, so you can remove sopelki after washing with a special aspirator.
Caution! Lavage – this is not the instillation solution in the nose! He should be free to flow from the nostrils, taking with them the excess mucus.
With the same success you can use the saline. A big bottle with 200 ml of sodium chloride is very cheap and is sold in every pharmacy. By the way, inhalations with saline solution is very effective when starting cough, so having such a tool at home at hand will not be superfluous.
If your child is already two years and more, you can go the simplest way is to buy in a drugstore a solution of sea water in the spray. The price of such a tool is quite high, but its shape is very comfortable and allows you to do nasal rinses quick and pleasant procedure.
For the treatment of rhinitis in children under two years of age is not recommended to use the drugstore sprays with sea water, because is too strong jet can drive the infection deeper into the sinuses and even cause otitis media.
At first glance, the procedure of washing the baby’s nose may seem to an inexperienced mother a daunting task, but in fact it will quickly adapt and begin to implement these simple manipulations «on the machine».
In General, regular rinsing of the nasal passage of both the nostrils for the treatment of uncomplicated rhinitis will be sufficient for the speedy recovery of the child. This will prevent starting a cold and will not develop severe disease.
If you see that the child is too hard to breathe, you should use another tool – vasoconstrictive drops. They can advise the doctor or pharmacist. These drops can drip more than 7 consecutive days. Be sure to study the user manual before using the medication, follow the dosage and do not exceed the recommended treatment time.
If you have any doubt, it is always better to consult a doctor for advice. Drops preferably used after washing the nose to the nasal passage was clear and free of mucus.
Attention! It is not recommended to use folk recipes for treatment of rhinitis! In most cases, nasal lavage and if necessary vasoconstrictor drops are perfectly cope with the cold.
When to see a doctor?
If the runny nose in a child with the above treatment persists for a long time, it is important to consult a doctor. There may be complications or runny nose may be allergic. In such cases, without the help of a specialist can not do. Because only he can correct diagnosis and to appoint adequate treatment.
It is recommended to consult a doctor if:
- a runny nose is not going to decline more than 10 days after it begins;
- the child’s body temperature reaches 37°C and continues to rise;
- the child looks lethargic;
- a runny nose with cough;
- discharge from the nose has acquired a yellow or green color, there is blood streaks;
- child complains of headache or ear pain.
How to avoid a cold continue?
After the first transferred the children with the common mom starts to worry about the question: how to avoid mucus from the nose next time?
For this you can take some preventive measures:
- regularly ventilate the room of the child;
- maintain optimum temperature and humidity in baby’s room;
- rinse the baby’s nose before visiting public places (e.g., hospitals, shopping malls, kindergarten) and after them,
- strengthen his immune system through nutrition, vitamins, hardening.
Now you know how to stop a runny nose in the child if he starts. Remember that the common cold is not terrible, but to let the situation slide is not worth it. Preventive measures and timely initiation of treatment will help your precious children rarely get sick and recover faster.