Through the ear is the air: why air moving out of the ear and what to do with it
Why from the ear is air?
Specialists – otolaryngologists are confronted daily with a large number of ear ailments, the main success in which treatment is timely and correct diagnosis. Go to the doctor and, apparently, quite unusual on the face of the complaint that through the ear the air.
This is not surprising and unusual. This is a fairly common phenomenon, which has quite objective reasons occur.
The human ear
Ear – unique paired organ in the entire human body, located in the temporal bone of the skull.
Interesting. The human ear is the fastest sense in humans because it recognizes the sound of just 0.05 seconds.
The organ is unique in that it is entrusted with the implementation of two completely different functions:
- the perception of sound and convert them to signals;
- responsible for the body’s position in space and the retention equilibrium.
As for the structure of the auditory system, it is also characterized by a rather complex and peculiar structure. It is represented by 3 divisions: outer, middle and inner ear. Each of these departments has its own elements and structure, are closely interrelated.
Further schematically shows the structure of each division of the auditory analyzer.
|Exterior||The shell of the ear, external auditory canal leading to the eardrum|
|Average||The tympanic cavity, which houses the auditory ossicles (Malleus, incus, and stapes). Auditory tube connecting the middle ear with the nasal cavity and throat|
|Internal||The vestibule, the cochlea and semicircular canals|
With this system, one can maintain a close relationship with the surrounding world. This is why you should very carefully monitor the health of your ears, even otitis media (with incorrect treatment or lack of it) can lead to hearing loss, and that according to statistics, perceived by the person much harder than even the loss of vision.
After reviewing the structure of the ear, find out the causes of air in the ear and whether this condition is dangerous.
The air in the ear — causes
The main and most common reason why air coming from the ear is damage to the integrity of the eardrum.
In addition to this phenomenon, people can feel these symptoms:
- Congestion and noise in the ear.
- The hearing impairment.
- Violation of vestibular function (if the damage affected the auditory ossicles).
To explain in this case why ear air moving is very simple – since the damage of the tympanic membrane, the internal structure of the ear is vulnerable, that is, there are no obstacles.
Help. What factor caused the rupture of the membranes will largely depend on other accompanying symptoms.
Doctors distinguish several main reasons that can cause damage to the integrity of the tympanic membrane:
- inflammation of the ear – if in time not to begin therapy of otitis media, in advanced stage in the middle ear cavity pus is formed. He exerts strong pressure on the diaphragm membrane, and the accumulation of a certain number it just breaks;
- trauma to the ear and head – strong blow to the head or failure to comply with standards in hygiene procedures can lead to such consequences;
- foreign body in the ear in an adult is quite rare, but still a piece of fleece from the sticks can remain in the ear canal. Inept independent attempts to get it can traumatize the ear canal and the eardrum;
- the pressure membrane is exposed to danger at sharp jumps of atmospheric pressure. This can occur when diving at depth or during takeoff, landing;
- sharp sound – a loud noise or explosion is greatly increased air flow and pressure, resulting in the injury of the membrane;
- the influence of heat, chemical or thermal burns can also cause significant damage to the membrane of the eardrum.
This situation requires a visit to a specialist and thorough treatment, to avoid various complications. Depending on the nature of the damage to the eardrum, the doctor may prescribe one of the ways of therapy: medication (with very small gap), or online (at significant membrane damage).
The emergence of a vacuum in the ear does not have to be tied to the organ of hearing. These conditions, which are described by many: «it’s like breathing with your ear» may appear under the following circumstances:
- Runny nose – nasal congestion the air goes wrong in the middle ear cavity and properly distributed throughout the channel system are closely interrelated. In the treatment of the underlying disease, an unpleasant symptom disappears.
- Getting into the nose water is familiar to many this unpleasant sensation. If people «drank by» the water, it might not spread through the respiratory system, blocking moves and creating a vacuum. No action to be taken in this case, there is no need, because after 5-10 minutes all by itself passes.
- Hit in the ear of moisture – this is a bad thing and should be avoided as it can cause various inflammatory processes. Moisture in the ear can get, if someone wants to wash very stuffy nose. To predict which path the water is impossible, because the nasal mucosa is edematous. So water can easily get into the middle ear. In the end, the runny nose will be added, and inflammation in the ear.
Usually such situations do not cause much concern and go away on their own after a short period of time, except for the last paragraph (water must be removed, otherwise it may turn into a purulent mass).
Important. If the presence of air is accompanied by other symptoms, you should immediately consult the doctor as it may indicate the development of any pathology.
To any change in the performance of your body people must not only pay attention but to take all necessary for his removal. In some cases, this may be a trivial symptom, caused by an external factor, and the other very serious circumstance requiring a thorough examination and treatment.
Damage to the eardrum – not a terrible thing, but it requires special attention. Because the eardrum is a real «guardian» of secondary and, in particular, vulnerable inner ear.