Tragus ear — what it is, organ function, photos
What is the tragus of the ear and how it looks?
While studying the structure of human hearing system are often in the zone of heightened attention is given to the tragus of the ear — what is it, what does this and how it can be useful in otorhinolaryngology in unskilled environment few know. However, everyone, especially new parents, should know about the features of the structure of the outer ear, because the wheels of the auricles help to diagnose some diseases, which the baby on their own to tell yet.
In addition, increased interest in the tragus of the ear is shown not only ENT doctors but also representatives of the piercing industry, the idea to pierce the tragus is completely out of fashion ever, but periodically climbs on top of it. Before piercing the tragus of the ear, it is equally important to know about the functions of this organ and the dangers that promises interference in the anatomical structure of the trestle.
The definition and location
Official medical sources define the tragus as the cartilage of the external ear.
Figuring out where the tragus of the ear, it is important to know that this little cartilage protrusion is located near the ear canal.
This small cartilage, often have similar triangle shape, is located opposite the main part of the ear.
Often this education even visually separated from the ear.
Important! The wheels are paired organs, so knowledge of their location will allow not to confuse this entity with their «colleagues» — additional tragus (rare) and protivootecona (found at all).
It is noteworthy that the trestle is not an anomaly — it occurs in all humans and other mammals. In particular, the expressed form of the body has the cats: every fan of these Pets have probably noticed the «ear pockets» on the cat’s outer ear.
In humans, in animals this organ has auditory function, helping to define the sound source in situations when he is behind the man.
The tragus on the ear, a photo of which you can see above, performs the process of perception of sound is an important function. In addition, this cartilage formation is the implementation of protective functions.
This small cartilage requires a careful treatment, because a situation where his anatomical structure has been compromised are considered to be problematic from the standpoint of otorhinolaryngology.
- Thanks to this the cartilage of the ear can perceive which is located behind the source of the sound — waves produced by this source, hitting the trestle.
- Cartilage also functions as a reflection of sound amplification. For example, it increases the reflection of an important sound frequencies in the inner ear.
- This body sometimes protects the ear from dust and dirt contained in the air flows.
- Often ear trestles used for the diagnosis (palpation of) certain diseases of middle and inner ear.
In the photo the tragus of the ear presented in a standard size, but among the people there are completely different forms and sizes of the cartilaginous structures. Typically, this earplug body is formed in the womb, its form and size can be affected by many factors, have occurred during gestation.
Piercing tragus ear
The tragus piercing is not a new phenomenon, but relevant to this day. Thousands of girls around the world have tried this ear decoration.
In General, official medicine has nothing against this piercing, however, from a practical point of view there are several features:
- to perform the puncture tragus should be exclusively professional, because the process due to the miniature size of this organ is the probability of damage and rupture of the cartilage may weaken its functions;
- this kind of piercing is traumatic — earring can catch the hat, there were cases of rupture of the cartilage at the messy brushing;
- earring in the tragus complicates the palpation in otitis and other diseases.
Thus, the idea of puncture is best abandoned in favor of more traditional methods of ear piercing.
Palpation of the tragus
The process of identifying ear disease in children with of the body looks very simple — the moderately doctor presses on the tragus fingers.
Generally infants at this point «declare» in the presence of an inflammatory process an involuntary shout and cry. This is because, at the time of palpation the baby feels a sharp pain.
Allows the authority to identify and the syndrome Enneberg. Patients with the disease under external influence in this part of the hearing aid experience dizziness, nystagmus (involuntary rhythmic movement of the eyeballs).